Since we live in a country where a majority of Americans are in agreement............

“Lack of paramount objection”

In what area do you see that pertaining?

What subject?
Area? Subject? What dodge are you going for here? I explained it earlier. The part you ignored.

......on issues like abortion, gun control, climate change, immigration, campaign finance reform, etc., why isn't the majority's wishes reflected in public policy?

I would argue it's because of the disproportionate representation of conservatives in the Senate, more gerrymandered districts in Repub controlled states than Dem controlled states, and the comically anachronistic Electoral College. If not for the latter we likely would not have had a Repub prez since Reagan. Hence, we'd have a liberal super majority in the SC. Nor would we have suffered through Mitch McTreason being the majority leader in the Senate if not for WY's 580K residents having equal representation to CA's 39M.

Can this be fixed to prevent the current tyranny of the minority?
2/3 or more want an abortion ban in the 3rd trimester, want term limits in DC, want a balanced budget, and a secure border.

Guess which party opposes all those things.

Area? Subject? What dodge are you going for here? I explained it earlier. The part you ignored.
No you didn’t .

There is virtually no important area of policy that doesn’t have paramount objection

No you didn’t .

There is virtually no important area of policy that doesn’t have paramount objection
Sorry. I've dealt with your evasive nonsense before. If you don't understand my previous posts, or just don't want to, that's ok.

So it's what I thought.. "Minority rule" is just a misleading catch phrase you whip it when the majority is stymied by systemic limits to its power. The minority isn't actually ruling, they're not getting their laws passed against the wishes of the majority.

Yeah. That was intentional. In our system, sometimes it requires more than a simple majority to get your way. Sorry if you don't like that. But it's not "minority rule"..
Hey, I have to hand it to you, you're very good at rhetorical deception. I especially liked the catch phrase you whipped up to dismiss minority rule, "the majority is stymied by systemic limits to its power." Those systemic limits being the very things the thread is based on. The ones keeping the majority from establishing public policy that reflects their views. You could say the ones allowing the minority to establish public policy that instead reflects their views.

Last edited:
We call those, ELECTIONS.

Most of us would like HONEST elections
Ok then......well..........mission accomplished since voter fraud is barely measurable. Now we need to make it so the votes of Californians are equal in weight to those of the good folks living in WY. In recognition........you know........of the Senate's composition being based on a historical mistake made at the founding.

Hey, I have to hand it to you, you're very good at rhetorical deception. I especially liked the catch phrase you whipped up to dismiss minority rule, "the majority is stymied by systemic limits to its power." Those systemic limits being the very things the thread is based on. The ones keeping the majority from establishing public policy that reflects their views. You could say the ones allowing the minority to establish public policy that instead reflects their views.
Those systemic limits being the very things the thread is based on.
minority rule?

Some votes require 60 votes to pass. if they only get 59, idiots scream the minority is ruling.

again,you don't want democracy, you want tyranny.

How out of touch with modern times was the original construct of the Senate? It wasn't until 1913 that senators were elected by the people of each state.

“The founders never imagined … the great differences in the population of states that exist today,” says Edwards. “If you happen to live in a low-population state you get a disproportionately bigger say in American government.”

The imbalance of proportionate power favoring smaller states in the Senate means that interests in those states, such as mining in West Virginia or hog farming in Iowa, are more likely to get attention—and money—from federal coffers.

“In the Senate when they’re trying to get to 51 votes to pass a bill, every vote counts,” says Todd Estes, a historian at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan. “That’s when the smaller states can demand amendments and additions to bills to look out for their own state’s interest.”

The Great Compromise also skewed the electoral college.

The principle of protecting small states through equal representation in the Senate carries over into the electoral college, which elects the president since the number of electoral votes designated to each state is based on a state’s combined number of representatives in the House and Senate.

That means, for example, even though Wyoming only has three votes in the electoral college, with the smallest population of all the states, each elector represents a far smaller group of people than each of the 55 electoral votes in the most populous state of California.

Therefore, it can be said the "Great Compromise" is responsible for skewing federal power in favor of low population states when the goal was only to level the playing field.

Ok then......well..........mission accomplished since voter fraud is barely measurable. Now we need to make it so the votes of Californians are equal in weight to those of the good folks living in WY. In recognition........you know........of the Senate's composition being based on a historical mistake made at the founding.
you already know the solution make an amendment and get it passed.

minority rule?

Some votes require 60 votes to pass. if they only get 59, idiots scream the minority is ruling.

again,you don't want democracy, you want tyranny.
Once again you inject a hot button word to describe a simple concept, majority rule. There is no democratic government around the world that does not elect its leader by majority vote. Because it is the only sensible way to elect one.

60 votes are only required under threat of a filibuster. An over used parliamentary tactic employed to advantage the minority and thus thwart the will of the majority.

2/3 or more want an abortion ban in the 3rd trimester, want term limits in DC, want a balanced budget, and a secure border.

Guess which party opposes all those things.
Let's try to keep the discussion factual, shall we.

Did I miss Repubs offering legislation to establish term limits? I know I didn't miss Dems offering legislation to end gerrymandering........which Repubs oppose.

Dems have repeatedly proposed legislation helping to secure the border. One bill that passed in the Senate in 2013 but was rejected by House Repubs (actually Boehner refused to put the bill up for a vote) because it included a path to citizenship.

Last edited:
Let's try to keep the discussion factual, shall we.

Did I miss Repubs offering legislation to establish term limits? I know I didn't miss Dems offering legislation to end gerrymandering........which Repubs oppose.

Dems have repeatedly proposed legislation helping to secure the border. One bill that passed in the Senate in 2013 but was rejected by House Repubs (actually Boehner refused to put the bill up for a vote) because it included a path to citizenship.

Psaki?

the professional presidential mouthpiece?

:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back