SHUT IT DOWN!!!!

I'll take defunding of the bloated welfare state government any way I can get it.

Today the Democrats want to stop the government from spending money.

That is a good thing. I am in solidarity with the Moon Bats today.

Go Democrats!

The main group affected is the Armed Forces. Their paychecks will be held up by the Democrats.

Of course, Congress will still get theirs.

the republitards go in a room craft a bill without inviting one single dem, throw the bill up for a vote, instantly pass it in the house, and its the dems fault

youre a damn idiot jillyboi.

Reps want the wall. Dems want DACA. Quid pro quo. All or nothing.

its not the dems fault
In fact it is. DACA has nothing to do with the current manufactured crisis. However, we see the true compassion of Democrats. They need power and are willing to let 9 million children suffer for that.

This is aptly named. #SchumerShutdown
Oh.....which party has control of all three branches of government again?

the winners who stfu reminding everyone they were winners.

Revise the Executive Order to start deporting DACA illegals immediately until the full Budget and the new Immigration Laws (no lottery, no chain migration, and only merit based) are approved. Show the dems how real management works.
They already are doing so.....that guy in Illinois, for example.

I wonder if they ever got the lottery money I know lottery winners was pisses for months.

the republitards go in a room craft a bill without inviting one single dem, throw the bill up for a vote, instantly pass it in the house, and its the dems fault

youre a damn idiot jillyboi.

Reps want the wall. Dems want DACA. Quid pro quo. All or nothing.

its not the dems fault
In fact it is. DACA has nothing to do with the current manufactured crisis. However, we see the true compassion of Democrats. They need power and are willing to let 9 million children suffer for that.

This is aptly named. #SchumerShutdown
Oh.....which party has control of all three branches of government again?
No party has control of all three branches of government.

You know that but are desperate to find a way to blame the Republicans for the Democrats blocking the bill.
A control means that the Democrats cannot stop it. You know better.

Sorry, the shutdown is wholly Democrat. It appears they think more of illegals then they do for 9 million children in their own country.
Not true. The GOP controls all three branches of government. Why do you insist on continuing to play the helpless victim?

So...Democrats want to hold the entire country hostage for people who got here illegally. I do not make a very good hostage.

The Democrats can't hold the entire country hostage....it is the GOP that controls all three branches of government, silly.

It is called a filibuster, and yes they can try. Read a civics book sometime.
Have they? When did this current filibuster you speak of start?

There is no filibuster in the Constitution.

The GOP can bring the legislation to the floor with simple majority votes (1 to set a new precedent, 1 for cloture, and 1 for the legislation). Doesn't take a single DEM vote.

>>>>

I'll take defunding of the bloated welfare state government any way I can get it.

Today the Democrats want to stop the government from spending money.

That is a good thing. I am in solidarity with the Moon Bats today.

Go Democrats!

Your only in solidarity with a shithole.

Funny how all republics on thread are begging for a shutdown, but blame Democratic pols.

Just more from the Party of Dumb.

There is no filibuster in the Constitution.

The GOP can bring the legislation to the floor with simple majority votes (1 to set a new precedent, 1 for cloture, and 1 for the legislation). Doesn't take a single DEM vote.

>>>>

They can bring it to the floor and they can vote for cloture but they can't vote on the legislation unless and until the cloture vote gets 60 votes. That's not in the Constitution as you say, but it IS in the Rules for the US Senate. So yes, even though the Dems do not have control of either chamber of Congress or the WH, they have the ability to shut down the funding of the gov't if they refuse to pass the budget spending bill. Which is precisely what they're doing.

There are good and sufficient reasons why cloture requires 60 votes. We can talk about 'the tyranny of the majority' if anybody wants to.

They can bring it to the floor and they can vote for cloture but they can't vote on the legislation unless and until the cloture vote gets 60 votes. That's not in the Constitution as you say, but it IS in the Rules for the US Senate. So,yes, even though the Dems do not have control of either chamber of Congress or the WH, they have the ability to shut down the funding of the gov't if they refuse to pass the budget spending bill.

There are good and sufficient reasons why cloture requires 60 votes. We can talk about 'the tyranny of the majority' if anybody wants to.

However, the rules of the Senate can be changed. Just as Reid changed them for Federal Judges and McConnell changed them to get Gorsuch on the SCOTUS.

It takes a simple majority to set a new precedent.

Just correcting those that say DEM votes are needed, they are not. Challenge the 60 vote rule, simple majority to change it. Simple vote to do cloture. Simple vote to pass legislation.

>>>>

They can bring it to the floor and they can vote for cloture but they can't vote on the legislation unless and until the cloture vote gets 60 votes. That's not in the Constitution as you say, but it IS in the Rules for the US Senate. So,yes, even though the Dems do not have control of either chamber of Congress or the WH, they have the ability to shut down the funding of the gov't if they refuse to pass the budget spending bill.

However, the rules of the Senate can be changed. Just as Reid changed them for Federal Judges and McConnell changed them to get Gorsuch on the SCOTUS.

It takes a simple majority to set a new precedent.

Just correcting those that say DEM votes are needed, they are not. Challenge the 60 vote rule, simple majority to change it. Simple vote to do cloture. Simple vote to pass legislation.

>>>>

I don't think changing the Senate rules to essentially require a simple majority is a good idea, but for now you are wrong. As it stands now the GOP cannot pass the spending bill without Dem support. Personally I think it would be unwise to switch to a simple majority vote in the Senate like it is in the House, otherwise a small Senate majority can ride roughshod over the minority party and do whatever they want.

I don't think changing the Senate rules to essentially require a simple majority is a good idea, but for now you are wrong. As it stands now the GOP cannot pass the spending bill without Dem support. Personally I think it would be unwise to switch to a simple majority vote in the Senate like it is in the House, otherwise a small Senate majority can ride roughshod over the minority party and do whatever they want.

I'm sorry, what you think about whether it is a good idea is irrelevant.

The fact is that the GOP can pass the legislation without a single DEM vote.

To claim that the legislation can't be passed without 9-10 DEM votes is factually incorrect.

>>>>

I'm sorry, what you think about whether it is a good idea is irrelevant.

The fact is that the GOP can pass the legislation without a single DEM vote.

To claim that the legislation can't be passed without 9-10 DEM votes is factually incorrect.

>>>>

It is factually correct according to the current Senate rules. Same as it was in 2013 when the roles were reversed.

It is factually correct according to the current Senate rules. Same as it was in 2013 when the roles were reversed.

Agreed. It is factually correct, the GOP doesn't need a single DEM vote.. The current rules can be changed with a challenge and then a simple majority vote.

The rules have been reversed by both the GOP and the DEM. Reid (D) in 2013 and McConnell (R) in 2017 have both deployed it. Why did you leave the GOP use of the option off of your post?

>>>>

Agreed. It is factually correct, the GOP doesn't need a single DEM vote.. The current rules can be changed with a challenge and then a simple majority vote.

The rules have been reversed by both the GOP and the DEM. Reid (D) in 2013 and McConnell (R) in 2017 have both deployed it. Why did you leave the GOP use of the option off of your post?

>>>>
Because then they cannot legitimately (well, they can't anyways) blame the Democrats.

>>>>

It is factually correct that the GOP cannot pass the spending bill without DEM votes in the Senate under current Senate rules. It is also factually correct that in 2013 the Dems did not change the Senate rules when they were in charge and allowed a gov't shutdown to take place. They didn't give a fuck then about what was in the best interests of the country, and they don't now either. According to a CBS poll, only 46% favor a gov't shutdown over DACA. Care to explain why it was okay for the Dems to shutdown the gov't in 2013 when they could've avoided it in 2013 but it's not okay for the GOP now?

I checked, the GOP under McConnell did indeed go to the nuclear option to get Gorsuch confirmed, I was mistaken about that. As did Reid before that to get federal judges and senior execs confirmed when he was the majority leader. None of which means the GOP should go to a simple majority for everything else.

It is factually correct that the GOP cannot pass the spending bill without DEM votes in the Senate under current Senate rules. It is also factually correct that in 2013 the Dems did not change the Senate rules when they were in charge and allowed a gov't shutdown to take place. They didn't give a fuck then about what was in the best interests of the country, and they don't now either. According to a CBS poll, only 46% favor a gov't shutdown over DACA. Care to explain why it was okay for the Dems to shutdown the gov't in 2013 when they could've avoided it in 2013 but it's not okay for the GOP now?

I checked, the GOP under McConnell did indeed go to the nuclear option to get Gorsuch confirmed, I was mistaken about that. As did Reid before that to get federal judges and senior execs confirmed when he was the majority leader. None of which means the GOP should go to a simple majority for everything else.

My comments have not said anything about "should".

I'm saying they can change the rules and can pass legislation without a single DEM vote.

To lay the blame all on the DEMs is building a lie. How can the DEMs be responsible when the GOP doesn't need them to pass the legislation.

(Personally I plan only one type of individual - politicians. And yes that includes Trump.)

>>>>>

P.T. Barnum was right - thete is a sucker born every minute.

The U.S. govt SHUTS DOWN every single night.

All non-essential personnel go home. Every govt Agency office closes down. The same thing happened tonight, and the govt will be 'shut down' the entire weekend...

:p

Forum List

Back