"Should" women be so employed?

Mike Dwight

VIP Member
Jul 23, 2017
It was 1910 they thought any female employment was odd. What in the world are they doing, women workers?! It was 30% of women were employed I saw in the 40's. Not only is it 60% of women are employed today, but some may remember that news story around the 2010 timeframe, women outnumbered men in employment.

As a man, I never really learned any Feelings and Ideas behind this happening recently. Do you think women "Should" be that employed? Go all the way back to the virtuous matron of the home? What do women gain in self-fulfillment from employment, after the age of the female astronaut, chemist, equal employment, and what are the others I'm thinking of? Let's include college professors. Female engineer students at my college got a lot of applause.

Before modern conveniences home making was a lot of work. Laundry alone could take an entire day....it truly was, "a woman's work is never done." Now it's more like, "We've come a long way, baby."

A woman's work really is never done, though.

So..you have heard of Rosie the Riveter, correct?

Name an Andrews Sisters song within 2 minutes.

What comes after "Put your shoes on, Lucy"?

Last edited:
It was 1910 they thought any female employment was odd. What in the world are they doing, women workers?! It was 30% of women were employed I saw in the 40's. Not only is it 60% of women are employed today, but some may remember that news story around the 2010 timeframe, women outnumbered men in employment.

As a man, I never really learned any Feelings and Ideas behind this happening recently. Do you think women "Should" be that employed? Go all the way back to the virtuous matron of the home? What do women gain in self-fulfillment from employment, after the age of the female astronaut, chemist, equal employment, and what are the others I'm thinking of? Let's include college professors. Female engineer students at my college got a lot of applause.

Utter stupidity. Sweatshops existed before 1910.

There is no question that households with school-age children should have a full-time parent at home.

Subcontracting parenting to paid workers (after school and on school holidays) is a poor substitute for having a mother in the home. The household is also more efficacious when one "partner" - without outside employment - is responsible for management of the home...cooking, cleaning, shopping, and taking primary care of the nurturing of the kids. That is, helping with homework and school projects, supporting extracurricular activities, taking kids to doctor and other appointments.

It is a full-time job.

Today's girls are taught that if they don't have a "career," they are failures, which is subversive bullshit. One reason why today's kids are so vulnerable to the Leftist propaganda they are fed in schools is because of this partial abandonent of parenting.

Every married couple that can possibly swing it should have a full-time parent in the house. The cost of that bigger house is not worth it.

There is no question that households with school-age children should have a full-time parent at home.

Subcontracting parenting to paid workers (after school and on school holidays) is a poor substitute for having a mother in the home. The household is also more efficacious when one "partner" - without outside employment - is responsible for management of the home...cooking, cleaning, shopping, and taking primary care of the nurturing of the kids. That is, helping with homework and school projects, supporting extracurricular activities, taking kids to doctor and other appointments.

It is a full-time job.

Today's girls are taught that if they don't have a "career," they are failures, which is subversive bullshit. One reason why today's kids are so vulnerable to the Leftist propaganda they are fed in schools is because of this partial abandonent of parenting.

Every married couple that can possibly swing it should have a full-time parent in the house. The cost of that bigger house is not worth it.

Being a stay-at-home mother is an honorable and one of the most noble professions. Don't listen to what leftists say.

Nice try, DGS. Real life was in there but. I'm with Morrison. I'm growing my John Wayne cowboy hat.

saveliberty, well I've looked around quite a bit about the early discussion of sewing company labor. You heard of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company fire? Women immigrants were already unionizing, that sparked the country's interest, Wilson clearly ran on staying at home values. he did. that ushered in women suffragists the same election cycle, also the unions of course. Same issues in turn of the century London and their famous huge watermill cotton and looms.

Lowell Mill Girls - Wikipedia

Women have always worked outside the home. White upper class women stayed at home because they could afford to.

The rule of thumb is the landlord does not accept feelings and ideas as payment.

That is not true. There are lots of girls and women that do not want to work. Lots. They are more than happy to have as many babies as men want and even some that men don't want. I think it is an oversimplification to simply write that off on Leftists. In fact, it appears that it is men that do not want that level of responsibility because that pool of women exists.

So, what is the underlying cause?

Whether or not a woman 'should' be that employed really depends on the decisions of that woman.

These "should" someone else do something" discussions are pretty ridiculous. As to the one in question, do all men want to be plumbers, or are there men who want to go into other pursuits? Do all men have the same interests?

If someone takes time away from work for parenting, that person loses the benefits of working at a formal job, many with the possibility of promotions, with the result of lowering of Social Security and other benefits. What's the plan for making sure that these people catch up? That they then have the opportunity to pursue their own interests once their stint at parenting is over? That the "breadwinner" does not claim that this person "didn't work" if the relationship sours?

Even in 1910, some industries were almost 100 % female. For example the textile industry. Or nursing. Or typing. And so on. Plus every industry does better if it is 50 % female. Gives better general working conditions.

It was 1910 they thought any female employment was odd.

Who thought that?

In 1910, fifty percent of factory workers were women. In industries such as textiles, the workforce was nearly 100% women.

Women in the early 20th century were replacing men in clerical positions at an unprecedented rate.

In 1880 women were already beginning to replace Male waiters in restaurants across America.

Women were working in academia and scientific research for decades prior to 1910

In 1910, women accounted for nearly 100% of nurses.

I was quoting a youtube video directly, I don't know Where you get your unbelievable quotes. Women were all waiters in 1880, I find that unbelievable. I doubt women were all medical staff, maybe nurses. I doubt 50 percent women in factories by 1910. My other video gave me the 30% women Were employed compared to 70% men in 1930.

This one says at 1900, 5 million women were employed, there were 63 million americans, that's 32 million women roughly, mathematically about 16% women were employed, and not the Popular 16 percent, mind you. What were women professions before that time, prostitute? Nobody respected women with the lowly functionary position of public office or station, and we'll definitely be in danger of grouping American history with disadvantaged homemakers in other countries, and talking up the GDP impacts and economic money exchanges of a women's workforce.

Like I was trying to say earlier, you can see that Labor Unions for Women and Women Voting wasn't even the mainstream popular reaction to women's labor events like the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in New York. If anybody tells you we didn't elect an open Confederate after the Civil War, then prove it, because Woodrow Wilson's total ideology start to finish and in election was as the "dangerous southern democrat". Wilson's Princeton motto "Under God's Power she Flourishes" basically theological symmetry with "God Save the Queen".

As for some previous posters here, I just noticed, well actually who Really on male or female side really buys into this "following my passion" , Mike Rowe on dirty Jobs was real convincing to me against that! He had an article on it .Anyway, resume's are so fake and counterproductive about I just did some Interest and Degree and what can your Company do to keep me Interested in my Interest to be in a Field, you know, whatever. Work is work, right?

If the relationship sours! Ha. I've been having a lot of fun with Downton Abbey, its a UK period piece from the 1920's. I mean people hearts just go where they want now and all that. They had a long-running hilarious bit, where the black-haired footman Bates couldn't get a divorce by law, for a long time, the woman didn't allow it. He wanted to marry the woman in the video. Somehow his old Wife he hadn't lived with for a long time ended up dying! That's where he got put under arrest. They just leave that case open the whole Show, I don't understand anybody, I would have thought he did that one. His girlfriend being so helpful is so crazy, look out for the knife!

Last edited:

It is a full-time job.

Being a stay-at-home mother is an honorable and one of the most noble professions. Don't listen to what leftists say.

No doubt this is true.

However, no woman should be forced to be a stay-at-home mom. It is a choice women and couples make.

Forum List

Back