Should We Hit North Korea With An EMP?

As for an EMP it would hit South Korea as well not a very good idea.

And China. Hey there's a good idea -- piss off China. What could they do.

I agree, don't play God Sunspot with the planet's magnetic field. Too easy to retaliate, and as should be obvious in the nighttime satellite photo, we have a hell of a lot more to lose than NK does.

On the other had we'd all find out what a real dark nighttime sky used to look like...

You people are completely "in the dark" concerning the capability of modern EMP weapons. It's not like the EMPs of the 1970s

It is never good policy to take revenge when an opponent discovers and takes advantage of one of your weaknesses. Better to strengthen the weakness so it can not be used against you in future attacks. Allow your opponent to have false sense of confidence and attempt a similar attack after you have prepared for it.

So in Pearl Harbor we should have just strengthened our air defenses? All we should do is sit and defend? That's ridiculous.
No, I recognize the difference between an offensive measure made as a defense against further attack, and a response based on emotion and for revenge. The measures being suggested in this thread do not seem to address the issue and suggest an escalation that would include the general public. I would be in favor of wreaking havoc on North Korea's abilities to mount a similar attack and attacking an entity of theirs with a similar hacking attack that would be many times more costly to them than the one they waged on Sony. Sony being a Japanese company, I would suggest they occupy the front line of attack.

Last edited:

I agree, don't play God Sunspot with the planet's magnetic field. Too easy to retaliate, and as should be obvious in the nighttime satellite photo, we have a hell of a lot more to lose than NK does.

On the other had we'd all find out what a real dark nighttime sky used to look like...

You people are completely "in the dark" concerning the capability of modern EMP weapons. It's not like the EMPs of the 1970s

Illuminating post there Edison. Are you positive?

Illuminating post there Edison. Are you positive?

Non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse (NNEMP) is a weapon-generated electromagnetic pulse without use of nuclear technology. Devices that can achieve this objective include a large low-inductance capacitor bank discharged into a single-loop antenna, a microwave generator and an explosively pumped flux compression generator. To achieve the frequency characteristics of the pulse needed for optimal coupling into the target, wave-shaping circuits and/or microwave generators are added between the pulse source and the antenna. Vircators are vacuum tubes that are particularly suitable for microwave conversion of high-energy pulses.[3]

NNEMP generators can be carried as a payload of bombs, cruise missiles (such as the CHAMP missile) and drones, with diminished mechanical, thermal and ionizing radiation effects, but without the political consequences of deploying nuclear weapons.

The range of NNEMP weapons (non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse bombs) is much less than nuclear EMP. Nearly all NNEMP devices used as weapons require chemical explosives as their initial energy source, producing only 10−6 (one millionth) the energy of nuclear explosives of similar weight.[4] The electromagnetic pulse from NNEMP weapons must come from within the weapon, while nuclear weapons generate EMP as a secondary effect.[5]These facts limit the range of NNEMP weapons, but allow finer target discrimination. The effect of small e-bombs has proven to be sufficient for certain terrorist or military operations. Examples of such operations include the destruction of electronic control systems critical to the operation of many ground vehicles and aircraft.[6]

The concept of the explosively pumped flux compression generator for generating a non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse was conceived as early as 1951 by Andrei Sakharov in the Soviet Union,[7] but nations kept work on non-nuclear EMP classified until similar ideas emerge in other nations.

Electromagnetic pulse - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I don't quite get the concept of electromagnetic war on the country that has the least electromagnetics going on anywhere though. It's like going, "We've had it with you Antarcitca -- we're going to demolish your beach resorts".

I don't quite get the concept of electromagnetic war on the country that has the least electromagnetics going on anywhere though. It's like going, "We've had it with you Antarcitca -- we're going to demolish your beach resorts".

They have enough infrastructure to launch an attack against a multi billion dollar corporation, they have enough to be hurt by an EMP.

It is never good policy to take revenge when an opponent discovers and takes advantage of one of your weaknesses. Better to strengthen the weakness so it can not be used against you in future attacks. Allow your opponent to have false sense of confidence and attempt a similar attack after you have prepared for it.
Besides, how'd that work for Neville Chamberlin?
Because attacking a Japanese owned movie company is just like invading Poland.

Almost all of its assets are American.

Make them suffer a bit more and they will overthrow the little asshole.
And just what are they going to fight with to do that? Bamboo stalks?

The overwhelming cacophony of collective hunger pangs.

Actually that should be a clue to the average NK in the street -- how come I can't find a meal while Herr Diktator looks like the Michelin Tire Man? Somebody oughta make the connection.

Obama will probably offer to establish diplomatic relations with them in order to make nice.
Send them like $500 billion and apologize for upsetting them.
Well, that would certainly fit with the Failed Messiah's modus operandi, wouldn't it?

So in Pearl Harbor we should have just strengthened our air defenses? All we should do is sit and defend? That's ridiculous.
No, I recognize the difference between an offensive measure made as a defense against further attack, and a response based on emotion and for revenge.

No, you don't. If North Korea did this and it was against an American company, it is clearly an attack which should be responded to forcefully. However, as I already pointed out, it isn't an American company, it's a Japanese one and we aren't policeman to the world. You as liberals always do even when you have the right position it's for the wrong reason.

The measures being suggested in this thread do not seem to address the issue and suggest an escalation that would include the general public. I would be in favor of wreaking havoc on North Korea's abilities to mount a similar attack and attacking an entity of theirs with a similar hacking attack that would be many times more costly to them than the one they waged on Sony. Sony being a Japanese company, I would suggest they occupy the front line of attack.

You ALWAYS escalate if you respond Responding in kind is the dumbest thing you can do. Better to ignore it. You're a terrible strategist.

I made that same point moron, you didn't contradict me. I actually was the first to point out it was a Japanese company and I opposed responding for that reason.

As always Pogo's there mopping the floors and cleaning the dishes for the inanest of Democratic arguments. Like that you are slamming me by agreeing with me.

No, "almost all" are not, certainly a lot are. We invite other countries to do business here, that doesn't make us their global guardians.

I made that same point moron, you didn't contradict me. I actually was the first to point out it was a Japanese company and I opposed responding for that reason.

As always Pogo's there mopping the floors and cleaning the dishes for the inanest of Democratic arguments. Like that you are slamming me by agreeing with me.

:wtf:

:cuckoo:

NK supposedly has a satellite that can take out OUR power-grid with an EMP....that's some serious shit that Barry could have been working on for the past 6 years instead of land grabs, trying to cripple oil fracking and coal mining, importing millions of illiterate illegals, giving Iraq to ISIS, letting Iran get the bomb, abandoning the Afghans and sicing the IRS on the Tea Party. Barry is odd like that....:eusa_doh:

No, "almost all" are not, certainly a lot are. We invite other countries to do business here, that doesn't make us their global guardians.

Sony pays enough taxes here, just like any corporation (35%!!) to expect America to have it's back when being attacked.

Forum List

Back