CDZ Should we hire out our military operations to private companies?

and just for the record and this conversation , my comments and thoughts are my thoughts since the early 70s and only refer to modern all volunteer military that work for money , rewards and other perks and favors . ------------- just saying !!

and because of other comments i want to distance myself from . I think that USA Military should be made up of a mix of only enlisted or DRAFTED American Citizens and thats it !!

An interesting article from John Stossel on private military contractors and using them to fight our wars....

A Private Military

The military uses contractors to provide security, deliver mail, rescue soldiers and more. Private contractors often do jobs well, for much less than the government would spend.

"We did a helicopter resupply mission," Prince told me. "We showed up with two helicopters and eight people -- the Navy was doing it with 35 people."

I asked, "Why would the Navy use 35 people?"

Prince answered, "The admiral that says, 'I need 35 people to do that mission,' didn't pay for them. When you get a free good, you use a lot more of it."

Prince also claims the military is slow to adjust. In Afghanistan, it's "using equipment designed to fight the Soviet Union, (not ideal) for finding enemies living in caves or operating from a pickup truck."

I suggested that the government eventually adjusts.

"No, they do not," answered Prince. "In 16 years of warfare, the army never adjusted how they do deployments -- never made them smaller and more nimble. You could actually do all the counter-insurgency missions over Afghanistan with propeller-driven aircraft."

------

n 2010, Prince sold his security firm and moved on to other projects.

He persuaded the United Arab Emirates to fund a private anti-pirate force in Somalia. The U.N. called that a "brazen violation" of its arms embargo, but Prince went ahead anyway.

His mercenaries attacked pirates whenever they came near shore. His private army, plus merchant ships finally arming themselves, largely ended piracy in that part of the world. In 2010, Somali pirates took more than a thousand hostages. In 2014, they captured none.

For something like this....at least you could never say the men and women went against their will.......no draft, completely volunteer, and the pay would be a lot better....

Ya, mercenaries have an interesting history. So, no.
---------------------------------------------------------------- already close to mercenary army today isn't it ?? All volunteer , foreigners can sometimes even join and they may get citizenship and other favors . All volunteer military gets perks whether it be healthcare , education , training , maybe citizenship . Isn't it already a MERCENARY Military Disr ??

No. Swords for hire are always for sale. Loyalty is expensive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- mercenaries are dangerous , after all they work for the 'king' or government and they will kill or fight anyone for money or rewards if they are ordered to Disir .

They work for where the money is. We hire a group that goes out. They have all of the information. You have no control over that. You are liable. You pay them more than you would your own. The next president comes along and shifts policy or the next congress shifts funding. They have all of the information.

There is a reason that we don't want a privatized police force. It's the same reason that we don't want a privatized military. In fact, there is no aspect of our government that should be outsourced especially when it involves national security. Mercenaries have been around since antiquity so it isn't like we can walk in and say didn't see that one coming.

Excellent comments above. Running around with the Montagnard militia in the highlands was one thing. Letting Blackwater run our wars is way too dangerous.

Since corporate profit seems to be America's first priority, then by all means, privatize the troops, even though most of them join today due to the diminishing job prospects out there in the great free market. There will still be military jobs available, but none of this b.s. like pensions and free health care.

People have been bitching about military spending being way too high for a long time and it's true, they have a point. And so, it's only smart business for the DoD to take an honest look at what can be done to cut costs without sacrificing effectiveness. We've already been doing this since the 80s and 90s, hiring civil service and civilian contractors to do non-combat functions. Trust me when I tell you that civilian contractors cost the gov't much less over the long run than does civil service, who in turn cost much less than a military member. Ever try to fire a civil service person? It ain't easy bro, but it doesn't take long to can a civilian contractor and that is not an insignificant factor.

Today we are using drones and robots and satellites to do things that people used to do. Which means in addition to be cheaper also means less risk to human life and limb. There's no reason why we shouldn't continue to replace humans with other means to do what is necessary, or to replace military serve members with cheaper civilians where it makes sense if a non-human resource won't work.

Other thing is, we need to find alternatives to lethal force that can persuade potential enemies and adversaries that it is not to their advantage to mess with us. Such as EMPs and the like, knocking out your communications and power grid and sending a given location virtually back to the stone age ought to give pause for thought. Seems as though we ought to be able to convince people to act responsibly without resorting to a MOAB or a drone missile up your ass.

`
`

The way I see it, the US military is already the private army of the banks and corporations and they like the status quo as they are getting rich on it.

Which is fine to some (read: a great) extent , because that is our prosperity and security. That is our national interest, in a capitalist society, which we most definitely are. Of course our military will protect our financial systeTham and our economy (see: oil). As they should.

Those same banks, as much as it may be true that they foment (and ferment) robber barons and incentivize predatory practices, are absolutely necessary to our standard of living.
. . . which has nothing to do with the OP.

We do hire out some military activities, including operations, to mercenaries American and locals overseas.

The more we enrich and grow the private military industry, the more we are growing a threat to America with American money.
Uh, no....none of those companies represent any threat at all to America.

`
`

The way I see it, the US military is already the private army of the banks and corporations and they like the status quo as they are getting rich on it.

Which is fine to some (read: a great) extent , because that is our prosperity and security. That is our national interest, in a capitalist society, which we most definitely are. Of course our military will protect our financial systeTham and our economy (see: oil). As they should.

Those same banks, as much as it may be true that they foment (and ferment) robber barons and incentivize predatory practices, are absolutely necessary to our standard of living.

We do hire out some military activities, including operations, to mercenaries American and locals overseas.

The more we enrich and grow the private military industry, the more we are growing a threat to America with American money.
Of course they do, Fort Fun Indiana. Your simple denial is meaningless.

`
`

Of course they do, Fort Fun Indiana. Your simple denial is meaningless.

No they don't, and what a ridiculous thing to say. You could line them all up together and we would mop the floor with them in about 12 hours. How can you even say that with a straight face...

An interesting article from John Stossel on private military contractors and using them to fight our wars....

A Private Military

The military uses contractors to provide security, deliver mail, rescue soldiers and more. Private contractors often do jobs well, for much less than the government would spend.

"We did a helicopter resupply mission," Prince told me. "We showed up with two helicopters and eight people -- the Navy was doing it with 35 people."

Prince answered, "The admiral that says, 'I need 35 people to do that mission,' didn't pay for them. When you get a free good, you use a lot more of it."

Prince also claims the military is slow to adjust. In Afghanistan, it's "using equipment designed to fight the Soviet Union, (not ideal) for finding enemies living in caves or operating from a pickup truck."

"No, they do not," answered Prince. "In 16 years of warfare, the army never adjusted how they do deployments -- never made them smaller and more nimble. You could actually do all the counter-insurgency missions over Afghanistan with propeller-driven aircraft."

------

He persuaded the United Arab Emirates to fund a private anti-pirate force in Somalia. The U.N. called that a "brazen violation" of its arms embargo, but Prince went ahead anyway.

His mercenaries attacked pirates whenever they came near shore. His private army, plus merchant ships finally arming themselves, largely ended piracy in that part of the world. In 2010, Somali pirates took more than a thousand hostages. In 2014, they captured none.

For something like this....at least you could never say the men and women went against their will.......no draft, completely volunteer, and the pay would be a lot better....

---------------------------------------------------------------- already close to mercenary army today isn't it ?? All volunteer , foreigners can sometimes even join and they may get citizenship and other favors . All volunteer military gets perks whether it be healthcare , education , training , maybe citizenship . Isn't it already a MERCENARY Military Disr ??

So what happened to the saying "ask what you can do for your country"?

A Private Military

------

Then all those unemployed trumpanzees in red states can apply for jobs.

A Private Military

------

It's from a JFK speech. And that is all.

GENERAL COMMENT on USA Military . One of the things that my DAD told me as a young kid back in the early to mid 60s was that USA Military was made up of Americans like he and I . The good thing about that was that USA soldiers were unlikely to ever open up and shoot , kill and fight Americans that were their Fathers , Mothers , Brothers , Sisters . Just a comment .

A Private Military

------

Now I know which evil liberal bully invented it. Thanks. People must have been packs of morons in the time of jfk and now they are worse.

Sure, they would shoot other Americans' fathers and mothers and other relatives. They have done it before

Since corporate profit seems to be America's first priority, then by all means, privatize the troops, even though most of them join today due to the diminishing job prospects out there in the great free market. There will still be military jobs available, but none of this b.s. like pensions and free health care.
upload_2017-10-26_23-29-39.jpeg

If you don't like the pensions then no government employee deserves a pension.

Health care is not free after a member retires and has means.

Personally I think all government employees should be on the military/government pay scale with the same pension and benefits as the military receives. I think they'd find that the pension and benefits that everyone screams about the military receiving are not as great as they thought.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Now I know which evil liberal bully invented it. Thanks. People must have been packs of morons in the time of jfk and now they are worse.

He wasn't evil. He wasn't there long enough to do a whole lot. It is rhetoric that every president uses at some point to rally support from the people in some way,shape or form. I doubt people were any more moronic than they are now.

Forum List

Back