Should politicians be required to accept Obama-care for themselves and their families?

Should politicians be required to accept Obama-care for themselves and their families?

Members of Congress are.

(D)Members of Congress in the Exchange
(i)Requirement
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are—
(I) created under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act); or
(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).

Are you saying that this forbids people in congress from going elsewhere to get insurance ?

It's illegal for them to spend their own money on a private plan ?

Members of Congress are.

(i)Requirement
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, after the effective date of this subtitle, the only health plans that the Federal Government may make available to Members of Congress and congressional staff with respect to their service as a Member of Congress or congressional staff shall be health plans that are—
(II) offered through an Exchange established under this Act (or an amendment made by this Act).

Are you saying that this forbids people in congress from going elsewhere to get insurance ?

Members of congress are obligated to have adequate health insurance, just like most everyone else. The ACA requires that. As federal government employees, their version of employer-sponsored health insurance is called the Federal Employee Benefit Health Plan system, so they generally have no reason to look for insurance on the exchanges or anywhere else.

Unlike private sector employers who may offer a single take-it-or-leave it insurance plan, the government offers the FEBHP package of strictly vetted plans for employees to choose from. Members' employer, the federal government, picks up about 3/4 of the premium costs, similar to what the private sector does.

Like everyone else in the country, government employees of every stripe can get their required health plan from any source, but if it isn't from the employer's FEBHP, their employer isn't going to pick up any of the premium costs. This means that they can use the ACA exchanges if they want, but they make too much money to qualify for any subsidies, so that wouldn't make a lot of sense. They'd be paying the full cost of the insurance.

The exchanges are for people who have limited options and limited funds. The people we send to Washington are paid well enough and have insurance options that are affordable to them, so they don't need to participate in ACA plans. Those aren't designed for people like that. They're designed for people who can't afford insurance otherwise.

If, for some reason, government employees were required to buy their insurance on the exchanges, their employer would still cover most of the premiums. But what would be the point? They'd be getting the same Cadillac coverage through the exchange rather than through the plan they picked in the FEBHP. Nothing would change except they'd lose the freedom to shop around that every other citizen has.

Members of Congress are.

(i)Requirement

Members of congress are obligated to have adequate health insurance, just like most everyone else. The ACA requires that. As federal government employees, their version of employer-sponsored health insurance is called the Federal Employee Benefit Health Plan system, so they generally have no reason to look for insurance on the exchanges or anywhere else.

Unlike private sector employers who may offer a single take-it-or-leave it insurance plan, the government offers the FEBHP package of strictly vetted plans for employees to choose from. Members' employer, the federal government, picks up about 3/4 of the premium costs, similar to what the private sector does.

Like everyone else in the country, government employees of every stripe can get their required health plan from any source, but if it isn't from the employer's FEBHP, their employer isn't going to pick up any of the premium costs. This means that they can use the ACA exchanges if they want, but they make too much money to qualify for any subsidies, so that wouldn't make a lot of sense. They'd be paying the full cost of the insurance.

The exchanges are for people who have limited options and limited funds. The people we send to Washington are paid well enough and have insurance options that are affordable to them, so they don't need to participate in ACA plans. Those aren't designed for people like that. They're designed for people who can't afford insurance otherwise.

If, for some reason, government employees were required to buy their insurance on the exchanges, their employer would still cover most of the premiums. But what would be the point? They'd be getting the same Cadillac coverage through the exchange rather than through the plan they picked in the FEBHP. Nothing would change except they'd lose the freedom to shop around that every other citizen has.

So, did you answer your own question ?

Members of Congress are.

(i)Requirement

So, did you answer your own question ?
If so, it was a rhetorical question.

What question I asked are you referring to?

Members of Congress aren't eligible for FEHBP anymore. Under the ACA, the only way to receive their insurance benefit is to seek coverage through a public exchange.

Members of Congress aren't eligible for FEHBP anymore. Under the ACA, the only way to receive their insurance benefit is to seek coverage through a public exchange.
Thank you for updating my information. Things changed since I last reviewed the ACA.

So members of congress now buy off the ACA, not the FEBHP. The government still picks up its share of the cost of premiums.

What did this accomplish?

Anyone?

Thank you for updating my information. Things changed since I last reviewed the ACA.

So members of congress now buy off the ACA, not the FEBHP. The government still picks up its share of the cost of premiums.

What did this accomplish?

Anyone?

The ACA is not an insurance provider.

It is a miserable law.

Federal employees should be allowed to pay 6,000 per year for their insurance and have a 6,000 deductible.

Is that what is happening ?

The GOP had six full years to craft and pass a perfect system, but instead left it to the Democrats. Now they're bitching about what they got.

Tough. Too bad they'll never be in the drivers seat again.

The GOP had six full years to craft and pass a perfect system, but instead left it to the Democrats. Now they're bitching about what they got.

Tough. Too bad they'll never be in the drivers seat again.

Fuly agree.....

GWB blew it big time.....

Could have led the discussion and helped with solving issues that did not include government (it's called showing leadership). Instead, the SOB took us to war.

Should politicians be required to accept Obama-care for themselves and their families? Or is that only for the peasants?
Without doubt, that is what should be required of all government benefits. What bothers me is the failure of my plan as outlined at my website: sites.google.com/site/tbepporg, which I assume every American has reviewed during the past ten years, has not been moved through congress. Actually, I'm abashed! The truth is, nothing of quality will ever make it into law.

Should politicians be required to accept Obama-care for themselves and their families? Or is that only for the peasants?
Without doubt, that is what should be required of all government benefits. What bothers me is the failure of my plan as outlined at my website: sites.google.com/site/tbepporg, which I assume every American has reviewed during the past ten years, has not been moved through congress. Actually, I'm abashed! The truth is, nothing of quality will ever make it into law.

Interesting site.

Interesting site.
That could mean anything, but I'll take it as an indication of further study, and future commentary by you.

Interesting site.
That could mean anything, but I'll take it as an indication of further study, and future commentary by you.

I hope so.

Forum List

Back