Should Politicians be held accountable?

Jul 24, 2004
Politicians make accusations everyday. If a politician makes a statement, should he/she be held accountable if those statements made are found to be false? Meaning, should we prosecute politicains in court on purgery charges if we find out they lied while making this statement to a national audience?

AequitasVeritas said:
Politicians make accusations everyday. If a politician makes a statement, should he/she be held accountable if those statements made are found to be false? Meaning, should we prosecute politicains in court on purgery charges if we find out they lied while making this statement to a national audience?

For it to be perjury, it is something that would have to have been said under oath.

That being said, politicians lie...ahem I mean...mis-speak all the time. What to you mean about false statement and accountability?

I think I know where you want to go with this, but want to be sure.

I'm just really tired of politicians making false accusations, and would like some accountability for what they say. I do not know the best way to do this but this issue has been bothering me for some time.

Unless their words are libel or perjury, and they are not under oath, I thik the only repercussions would be to vote them out of office, or kick them out like they did to Davis in CA with the recall (not that Davis lied...just the process that is used in CA).

When did you discover that politicians lie...errrr...stretch the truth?

It has been going on for a couple of centuries in the US.

AequitasVeritas said:
I'm just really tired of politicians making false accusations, and would like some accountability for what they say. I do not know the best way to do this but this issue has been bothering me for some time.
I am sure they are protected from liability under some kind of errors & omissions clause or something to that effect. I do feel your pain. Accountability however can and must come from the constituents. Too many people just shrug and say "oh well, they're just crooked politicians". I am/used to be one of those. I am making an effort to get more involved through educating myself and making myself heard whenever possible.

HGROKIT said:
For it to be perjury, it is something that would have to have been said under oath.QUOTE]

Take for instance when certain senators/house reps/politicians called president Bush a liar on national tv. Then it was proven he did not lie and not a one of the accusers said they made a mistake by calling Pres. Bush a liar.

We have a way to make them accountable. Our votes. If we dont like what they do...well we can either vote for someone who we do like, find someone to campaign for or just get off our lazy butts and run ourself.

I would like to see politicians accountable for what they spend so Senator Daschle cant say he has no clue what he voted for the budget to include or where the money goes. I am starting to think we need to have an ammendment to audit the government frequently and keep them up to the standards we place corporations. Its only fair and it would be a way to check the growth.

HGROKIT said:
I am sure they are protected from liability under some kind of errors & omissions clause or something to that effect. I do feel your pain. Accountability however can and must come from the constituents. Too many people just shrug and say "oh well, they're just crooked politicians". I am/used to be one of those. I am making an effort to get more involved through educating myself and making myself heard whenever possible.
I am new to this site and actuall been reading more than posting thoughts. Being just young enough to vote I find it extremely hard to get to the truth when talking politics.

We have a way to make them accountable. Our votes. If we dont like what they do...well we can either vote for someone who we do like, find someone to campaign for or just get off our lazy butts and run ourself.

I would like to see politicians accountable for what they spend so Senator Daschle cant say he has no clue what he voted for the budget to include or where the money goes. I am starting to think we need to have an ammendment to audit the government frequently and keep them up to the standards we place corporations. Its only fair and it would be a way to check the growth.
Do you think we should have term limits for senators?

AequitasVeritas said:
HGROKIT said:
For it to be perjury, it is something that would have to have been said under oath.QUOTE]

Take for instance when certain senators/house reps/politicians called president Bush a liar on national tv. Then it was proven he did not lie and not a one of the accusers said they made a mistake by calling Pres. Bush a liar.
They weren't under oath. When opinion is given, it is difficult to be proven as liable or slander.

HGROKIT said:
They weren't under oath. When opinion is given, it is difficult to be proven as liable or slander.
So when you call someone a liar, with a national audiance, this just your opinion? This is the grey area that makes no sense to me......

AequitasVeritas said:
Do you think we should have term limits for senators?

We should probably have term limits for everyone. give us fresh blood and fresh ideas. and with the shortened time they will work harder to get their ideas passed. We could cut out alot of the pork.

Also in the case of career politicians, they couldnt stay in the same position there entire life. They would have to run for other offices, it would make them more well rounded if they succeed. and hopefully it would discourage career politicians and promote more of what the Founders intended, honorable citizens who stand a chance.

I do....it is a shame when a man or woman can be elected to do a civil duty, and then turn it in to a career. It is an honor and a privilege to be voted to represent your fellow citizens, and I think there are many lifelong politicians who have been on the dole for too long. I think it enables an "old Boy" mentality and ethic that is not conducive to accomplishing the most important duties intended by their service.

I'd be willing to bet if the population required a revocation of the benefits afforded our representatives and senators there would be a mass exodus from the DC area, and they would all go back home and get real jobs and see what it is like in the real world!

I doubt Kerry could last a day doing an honest day's labor.....I did not include Bush in this example, because he has not been an elected official for close to 30 years. (Cheney has, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing him get out in the oil patch and wrap some chain!!!!

We should probably have term limits for everyone. give us fresh blood and fresh ideas. and with the shortened time they will work harder to get their ideas passed. We could cut out alot of the pork.

Also in the case of career politicians, they couldnt stay in the same position there entire life. They would have to run for other offices, it would make them more well rounded if they succeed. and hopefully it would discourage career politicians and promote more of what the Founders intended, honorable citizens who stand a chance.
This is exactly what I have been saying. The problem I have come across is that everyone thinks change is impossible instead of inevitable. Is there a possibility for us to change this?

AequitasVeritas said:
This is exactly what I have been saying. The problem I have come across is that everyone thinks change is impossible instead of inevitable. Is there a possibility for us to change this?
Get involved, vote, campaign - write letters etc.

HGROKIT said:
Get involved, vote, campaign - write letters etc.
I have written letters to my representatives, but living in the great state of Kansas it seems no one outside this state takes much interest. I guess I'll have to move to either coast to voice my conservative views.

AequitasVeritas said:

You know there are alot of things that we would have to do on the Constitutional level to put these in force. maybe its about time the States called a Constitutional Convention to clarify a number of things. Term Limits, Abortion, gay marriage, maybe abolish some income tax. We need some major reforms in this country. And if those lazy ass people in washington wont do something maybe its about time to exercise our state rights in pushing the issue. We dont need the Senate to pass the ammendments, we just need to get some grass root organizations and running. I just think its about time we held another constiutional convention. Then we can let the people decide.

You are one of millions who have very similar views....you feel as alone as every other individual, though. It's when you start your own movement, and find like minded individuals will your voices be heard, no matter the cause. Send emails to your friends, write a mission statement, create something....you have permission! ASk your friends to help support your ideas, but make sure you clearly define your cause first, or it will suffocate under misunderstanding and confusion. Be clear about your message, and get the word out.

You will find many people in Kansas who are just like you, in their disgust for what is going on with our system.....you can make a change, but it is going to take commitment!

You know there are alot of things that we would have to do on the Constitutional level to put these in force. maybe its about time the States called a Constitutional Convention to clarify a number of things. Term Limits, Abortion, gay marriage, maybe abolish some income tax. We need some major reforms in this country. And if those lazy ass people in washington wont do something maybe its about time to exercise our state rights in pushing the issue. We dont need the Senate to pass the ammendments, we just need to get some grass root organizations and running. I just think its about time we held another constiutional convention. Then we can let the people decide.
Please tell me how "we the people" can get this ball rolling!

Fmr jarhead said:
You are one of millions who have very similar views....you feel as alone as every other individual, though. It's when you start your own movement, and find like minded individuals will your voices be heard, no matter the cause. Send emails to your friends, write a mission statement, create something....you have permission! ASk your friends to help support your ideas, but make sure you clearly define your cause first, or it will suffocate under misunderstanding and confusion. Be clear about your message, and get the word out.

You will find many people in Kansas who are just like you, in their disgust for what is going on with our system.....you can make a change, but it is going to take commitment!
So many people cannot talk about politics, some fear because repercussions of their statements. Sad to say many think tha they have no voice so give up all together.

Forum List

Back