Should Politicians be held accountable?

Look up your State Constitution in the library/internet. There will be a provision in there for a ballot question being included on the next election.
You will have to collect a certain number of signatures that are verifiable, by a certain deadline.

if you can get the media to notice it, you will get more exposure to your idea.

I live on the East Coast. Massachussets ( Conservative ). We have a very easy set of requirements for adding ballet questions. Our Libertarian party needed to collect 10,000 names to add the Question : Should we abolish the State Income tax?" They got something like 50,000 in the first 2 weeks of trying.

Then I learned that our Boston Media really is liberal left biased. They absolutely refused to acknowledge the question existed no matter what the Libertarians did, who they asked, whatever. A 100% blackout of coverage.

State Law requires the summary of all ballet questions to be mailed out to every voter a few days before the election. Only then did anyone hear of this for the first time. And the Democrats launched a powerful argument against it. The libertarians had no way to compete financially and it went from blackout to total one sided fear mongering. "shut down the firestations, fire the cops, starve the elderly,eat the children, etc"

And under the worst condition possible for an issue to be heard, they (we) still got something like 47 % in favor of scrapping the income tax completely. And it scared the crap out of the power structure here in the heart of Kerry/Kennedy land.

AequitasVeritas said:
I have written letters to my representatives, but living in the great state of Kansas it seems no one outside this state takes much interest. I guess I'll have to move to either coast to voice my conservative views.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'm assuming because of low electoral count, you think perhaps your voice isn't being heard? Actually Bob Dole is an example of why there was a bi-cameral house put in. You have several areas of 'more voice' than in a more populous state. The number of people qualified/willing to run for office are fewer-thus the competetion is held down, making it easier for someone to do so and cost less. Another thing is, While I might be able to have ready access to a hundred or more people, so will the other side-thus 100 new voters on one side, doesn't necessarily make a tremendous difference. You on the other hand, with a core of like-minded souls, could swing a 100 votes and make a difference, much more easily.

The other obvious plus for a more rural state, your reps are more likely to relate to the citizens. In a larger population state, one really is by far a voice in the crowd. Each, small and large state has its benefits and drawbacks.

AequitasVeritas said:
I'm just really tired of politicians making false accusations, and would like some accountability for what they say. I do not know the best way to do this but this issue has been bothering me for some time.
How about impeachment or voting them out of office.

AequitasVeritas said:
Politicians make accusations everyday. If a politician makes a statement, should he/she be held accountable if those statements made are found to be false? Meaning, should we prosecute politicains in court on purgery charges if we find out they lied while making this statement to a national audience?

Maybe not perjury, but, as far as being held to the same standards of liability as the rest of us (susceptibility to charges of slander, libel, and the like), I can't see why in the world not.

Forum List

Back