Should People Have Pet Skunks?

Would You Own A Pet Skunk?

• Total voters

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I don't think so in my own personal opinion. A skunk uses its spray to defend itself and when people take in pet skunks nine times out of ten they remove its spray. I would never actually want to tangle with a skunk, but to watch them outside or see pictures or videos of them I think that they're beautiful. I just think that they belong in the wild and not in your house, but that's just me.

Cute-Skunk.jpg

I don't think so in my own personal opinion. A skunk uses its spray to defend itself and when people take in pet skunks nine times out of ten they remove its spray. I would never actually want to tangle with a skunk, but to watch them outside or see pictures or videos of them I think that they're beautiful. I just think that they belong in the wild and not in your house, but that's just me.

View attachment 818745
I had a friend growing up that had one. It did not stink and never sprayed.

It's not as common as you make it sound. Years ago I had a "pet" skunk. It was one that I found wandering around when it was a kitten. I kept it in the barn almost a year and he eventually wandered off. Never had it descented. Never got sprayed. Acted like a cat mostly and was playful.
These days most states require a permit to house wild animals and here in AZ it isn't that easy to get that permit. I have one, but I only got it because I allow game and fish to rehabilitate injured animals on my property. I provide some care, but mostly just let them heal. Most of the animals here were or will be turned loose, so don't want to tame them.
A few couldn't be turned loose. An injured red tail hawk, went to the arboretum in globe. Can no longer fly. A golden eagle-same thing.
Had a black bear here for about 8 months, he got tame. Missing a back foot and most of his leg. He is in Prescott.
Anyway...some people are looking out for the wildlife, including skunks

People should be allowed to have any kind of pets they want so long as they take proper care of them. Even cats.

A deodorized skunk makes a great pet. They are intelligent and easily trained. They will use a litter box like a cat.

I'm guessing that means that the skunk still had the option to?
I actually don't think it did, but don't remember for sure. He got it after the mother was hit by a car, and I think later, the glands may have been removed. It was free to move around during the day, but slept in a rabbit hutch at night, as his mom would not let him keep it in his room. I saw him feed it banana chuncks. It was very soft. He said it was self cleaning like a cat and would curl up in his lap. I never picked it up as I was a stranger and no matter how young you get one, it is not a domesticated animal, so I never tried. Heck, our cats are domesticated, the that Siamese that loves me and PJ to death has bitten and scratched everybody else in the family. I have never wanted to keep a naturally wild animal as a pet.

Last edited:

View attachment 818745

My friend had two. They were funny and adorable..Used the litter box like a cat.

Don't let them get loose. Domesticated skunks aren't capable of living in the wild.

Yet a domesticated cat is if it gets loose, and isn't declawed that is, but that goes without saying. (I think that declawing should be illegal btw as well as debarking dogs and descenting skunks)

My friend had two. They were funny and adorable..Used the litter box like a cat.

I did actually hear that skunks are relatively friendly creatures as long as you don't scare it or make it angry though. :) (Although that should take common sense.)

Btw we just had a skunk outside tonight, that's how this topic originally came up. Beautiful creature nonetheless of its stink. It didn't spray tonight though.

View attachment 818745
I got a family or two of the lil guys out here on my acreage. I get a bang out of the way they 'waddle' down my driveway when I travel to & fro on it. As far as indoor pets go I'd pass on that one. If one desires 'unique' indoor/outdoor pets the vid below of these two cute lil farts playing is THE WAY TO GO!!!

Deer are so popular as pets for folks that even city folks are trying to smuggle them into their homes located within the city limits. The guy & his wife in the vid below had the pair of bucks for indoor/outdoor pets for over two years but a busybody snoop turned them into the DNR.

Deer, to know them is to love them!

I vaguely remember a cartoon about a male skunk named Pierre or something that mistook a cat for a female skunk and fell in love with her madly.

Yet a domesticated cat is if it gets loose, and isn't declawed that is, but that goes without saying. (I think that declawing should be illegal btw as well as debarking dogs and descenting skunks)
I declawed my cat. He used all the furniture and the door frame to scratch.

Unlike other animals it is the rare cat that loses its desire to kill. An ordinary house cat named Tibbles killed off an entire species of bird.

With the exception of mankind no other animal, not even the large predators, kill with the wanton enjoyment of the ordinary house cat.

Should People Have Pet Skunks?​

We have Turdy Tainted and Toomuchbooze here , so what is the difference ?

I declawed my cat. He used all the furniture and the door frame to scratch.

And that's one of the problems for me. Not only is it an extremely painful procedure for the cat, (in the aftermath since I realize that they're underneath anesthesia for the actual procedure) but it's also only done for convenience purposes only. If you had a child draw on your walls would you cut off their fingertips? That's basically the same thing that you're doing to your cat when you have them declawed because it isn't just their claws that you're removing.

View attachment 818745
I had one that used to follow me around out in the woods and eat with the cats every afternoon.

I couldn't really scare him away, (it'd be pretty dumb to "Ooga Booga" a skunk), and he was not stealthy.

:auiqs.jpg: Yeah, he was not good fer huntin's at all.

Cute, though.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back