Should People Have Pet Skunks?

Would You Own A Pet Skunk?

• Total voters
And that's one of the problems for me. Not only is it an extremely painful procedure for the cat, (in the aftermath since I realize that they're underneath anesthesia for the actual procedure) but it's also only done for convenience purposes only. If you had a child draw on your walls would you cut off their fingertips? That's basically the same thing that you're doing to your cat when you have them declawed because it isn't just their claws that you're removing.

Since cats don't have opposable thumbs declawing a cat has nothing to do with children and crayons.

I have declawed more than one cat. I assure you that they are happy, healthy, in no pain and calmer than a cat getting screamed at for ruining the surroundings.

If you don't want a pet that sprays a foul odor, then why get a skunk? Removing its scent glands is inhumane.

Same with cats. If you don't want a pet that scratches furniture, why get a cat? Removing its fingertips is inhumane.

Me? I make sacrifices for my cats. I don't have nice furniture. When I built the cat door to the porch, I wondered if they would tear up the nylon screens and I'd have to install metal screens. After years of clawing at the nylon screens, thinking they can catch the lizards on the other side, the screens are still perfectly intact. But I would have got metal screens if I had to.

Last edited:
Since cats don't have opposable thumbs declawing a cat has nothing to do with children and crayons.

I have declawed more than one cat. I assure you that they are happy, healthy, in no pain and calmer than a cat getting screamed at for ruining the surroundings.

Hey, all I can do is educate. I can't actually make anybody listen to me. Plus I don't want to get off topic either.

If you don't want a pet that sprays a foul odor, then why get a skunk? Removing its scent glands is inhumane.

Same with cats. If you don't want pet that scratches furniture, why get a cat? Removing its fingertips is inhumane.

Me? I make sacrifices for my cats. I don't have nice furniture. When I built the cat door to the porch, I wondered if they would tear up the nylon screens and I'd have to install metal screens. After years of clawing at the nylon screens, thinking they can catch the lizards on the other side, the screens are still perfectly intact. But I would have got metal screens if I had to.

Thank you for driving my point along and existing. This is for anybody wishing to talk about the declawing discussion further.

Pet skunks are not trapped in the wild and forced into captivity. They come from breeders who remove the scent glands when the animals are neutered. The animals don't miss either one. They just like being cuddled and spoiled.

Another nice thing about letting them on the porch as they please (besides the fact that cats love sunshine) is that I keep the litter box out there so they don't foul up the house.

Else I might as well have just got skunks.

Pet skunks are not trapped in the wild and forced into captivity. They come from breeders who remove the scent glands when the animals are neutered. The animals don't miss either one. They just like being cuddled and spoiled.

Yeah, but if your skunk gets loose they're most likely dead. However, if it's strictly a domesticated skunk with its scent glands still intact, they probably are pretty good pets as I have heard that they're rather friendly, you just have to take the chance that you don't startle them or upset them and trigger their stink bombs.

Another nice thing about letting them on the porch as they please (besides the fact that cats love sunshine) is that I keep the litter box out there so they don't foul up the house.

Else I might as well have just got skunks.

Yeah but we don't let our cat outside because we're afraid that she'll get loose and we lost one already nearly a decade ago. 😞

Oh yeah and will tomato juice actually remove a skunk's spray or is that just an old wive's tale?

Found it!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pepe.png

pepelepew.jpg

Pepe-Le-Pew.jpg

pepmdmdmmdmd_widelg.jpg

I don't think so in my own personal opinion. A skunk uses its spray to defend itself and when people take in pet skunks nine times out of ten they remove its spray. I would never actually want to tangle with a skunk, but to watch them outside or see pictures or videos of them I think that they're beautiful. I just think that they belong in the wild and not in your house, but that's just me.

View attachment 818745

Attachments

• IMG_0049.mov
    16.2 MB

Forum List

Back