*Should NPR Be De-Funded?*

In my opinion, the federal government has no business subsidizing NPR.
My concern is that the more sponsorship NPR get's from private foundations and corporations, the more likely it is that they will be influenced by those entities. With government grants and funding, there is little chance that program content will be influenced.

As far as being biased to the left, most of the program content is not political. The exception is during election session where politics dominated the news. There are bound to be issues that some conservative will take issue with. The evangelicals will claim bias on any program dealing with evolution or creation. The right in general will take issue with most presentations dealing with global climate change.

The cattle have already left the barn on that one.

Plus, what is the virtue of government financing? Don't you think those who get their money from government would serve as advocates for it?

That's not a "free press" by any stretch of the imagination.

and while i am a liberal, I think that if the table were turned, i wouldn't like the fed gvt funding it, one iota. ;)

Except that I see the longer view about what they bring to the table (non-politically), that they would not be able to do in a commercial setting.

*shrug*

I'm torn on NPR. But I'm taking the view of lets start with the larger money wasting fish rather than the minnows.

A valid perspective, but I differ. The problem is that all these "little things" all have a common perspective and adding up the money is most of what our government spends.

NPR isn't just "$15 Million," it's a perspective that $15 Million is a "minnow" when someone like me who isn't worth a tenth of that is expected to pay for it.

But then I add in the things they are able to bring to the table that they would not be able to in a commercial setting.

So I'm torn on the approximately $25 a year that I send to NPR via taxes. The ROI to get it defunded is way low. I'd rather spend my energies elsewhere.

and while i am a liberal, I think that if the table were turned, i wouldn't like the fed gvt funding it, one iota. ;)

Except that I see the longer view about what they bring to the table (non-politically), that they would not be able to do in a commercial setting.

*shrug*

I'm torn on NPR. But I'm taking the view of lets start with the larger money wasting fish rather than the minnows.

well, that i agree with....we need to reduce the big gun departments, with all we got....first, before we worry about the minnows.

Would that be Social Security, HHS, or Defense?

*shrug*

A valid perspective, but I differ. The problem is that all these "little things" all have a common perspective and adding up the money is most of what our government spends.

NPR isn't just "$15 Million," it's a perspective that $15 Million is a "minnow" when someone like me who isn't worth a tenth of that is expected to pay for it.

But then I add in the things they are able to bring to the table that they would not be able to in a commercial setting.

Such as?

So I'm torn on the approximately $25 a year that I send to NPR via taxes. The ROI to get it defunded is way low. I'd rather spend my energies elsewhere.

As I said, it's a perspective issue.

If $15 Million is a "minnow" and you aren't worth $15 Million, well that's a problem.

Such as?

Such as more intellectual and esoteric programming. Symphonic music, world music, regional perspectives, etc. Non-political. This type of programming wouldn't survive in a straight commercial setting.

If $15 Million is a "minnow" and you aren't worth $15 Million, well that's a problem.

Your math is off on that one. It's $15 million distributed among taxpayers. Or around $25 to $30 per annum per citizen.

I'm hard pressed to think of anyone that isn't worth that much. Maybe Uwe Boll.

*shrug*

well, that i agree with....we need to reduce the big gun departments, with all we got....first, before we worry about the minnows.

since i am a DOVE, and anti military industrial complex influence, fraud and waste, the Department of Defense would be first....

social security tax funds are in surplus for the most part, and some reform and tweaking, spread over the future can shore it up for another 75 years.... as of right now, our deficit would be WORSE, without social security and their surplus they are pulling in, in Taxes.

Medicare...the pill bill primarily, will bring this country to its knees if we don't reform it.

Such as?

Such as more intellectual and esoteric programming. Symphonic music, world music, regional perspectives, etc. Non-political. This type of programming wouldn't survive in a straight commercial setting.

I disagree. Back in my college days I questioned why so much ethnic and diverse music groups seemed to be hell-bent on getting the attention of the "university" and not poor schlubs like me looking to book an opening band at a big party.

"That's how we get exposure, get in with the public radio people."

So no, it's not as you say (or at least it wasn't as you say). These types of culture could survive in a straight commercial setting if the promise of a government paycheck weren't there.

Get $1 a head versus playing for free at the house on an intern of WBUR?

Your math is off on that one. It's $15 million distributed among taxpayers. Or around $25 to $30 per annum per citizen.

My math is just fine. You call $15 Million a year a "minnow." Well by that logic I'm an amoeba, all I want is a penny from every taxpayer. Can I have it?

The difference is that you choose, but then say it's fair that I pay for it also.

since i am a DOVE, and anti military industrial complex influence, fraud and waste, the Department of Defense would be first....

Well on that we can agree and I'm a hawk.

There is so much to be saved by returning the DoD back to the model of efficiency it used to be. I'm on board with starting there. The DoD has become so bloated that it hampers the mission.

So we can agree there right?

social security tax funds are in surplus for the most part, and some reform and tweaking, spread over the future can shore it up for another 75 years....

I'd like to hear specifics on that, because "tweaking" doesn't fix a ponzi scheme.

as of right now, our deficit would be WORSE, without social security and their surplus they are pulling in, in Taxes.

Ah. Static view of economics. How have 2 years of increased Keynesian policy worked so far?

Medicare...the pill bill primarily, will bring this country to its knees if we don't reform it.

Why not just cut it?

I disagree. Back in my college days I questioned why so much ethnic and diverse music groups seemed to be hell-bent on getting the attention of the "university" and not poor schlubs like me looking to book an opening band at a big party.

So no, it's not as you say (or at least it wasn't as you say). These types of culture could survive in a straight commercial setting if the promise of a government paycheck weren't there.

My math is just fine. You call $15 Million a year a "minnow." Well by that logic I'm an amoeba, all I want is a penny from every taxpayer. Can I have it?

The difference is that you choose, but then say it's fair that I pay for it also.

I'm not talking about local concerts or bands.

*shrug* no one gets to directly choose where their tax money goes.

Every single artist started local.

Sometimes we do, hence the pressure to cut NPR's funding.

Every single artist starts local, yes. However, I'm thinking specifically of music from across the world. Not American.

Every single artist starts local, yes. However, I'm thinking specifically of music from across the world. Not American.

So am I.

Artists come in all stripes and some of them even come here to study things like Physics, Economics, and Music.

In my opinion, the federal government has no business subsidizing NPR.
My concern is that the more sponsorship NPR get's from private foundations and corporations, the more likely it is that they will be influenced by those entities. With government grants and funding, there is little chance that program content will be influenced.

As far as being biased to the left, most of the program content is not political. The exception is during election session where politics dominated the news. There are bound to be issues that some conservative will take issue with. The evangelicals will claim bias on any program dealing with evolution or creation. The right in general will take issue with most presentations dealing with global climate change.

The cattle have already left the barn on that one.

Plus, what is the virtue of government financing? Don't you think those who get their money from government would serve as advocates for it?

That's not a "free press" by any stretch of the imagination.
Well, they will certainly serve as advocates for continued government financing but that does not mean that they will necessary support the policy of the administration. It is far more likely that they will be advocates for the special interest groups and corporation that donate money.

Well on that we can agree and I'm a hawk.

There is so much to be saved by returning the DoD back to the model of efficiency it used to be. I'm on board with starting there. The DoD has become so bloated that it hampers the mission.

So we can agree there right?

I'd like to hear specifics on that, because "tweaking" doesn't fix a ponzi scheme.

as of right now, our deficit would be WORSE, without social security and their surplus they are pulling in, in Taxes.

Ah. Static view of economics. How have 2 years of increased Keynesian policy worked so far?

Why not just cut it?

tweaking can include, extending retirement dates...when i began working it was 65, now it is 67....

expanding the cap on who pays...

a way for younger participants to make private investments...

there are a number of things that SS can do to shore it up.

my comment on SS producing a surplus is truth....and it has reduced the deficit that is reported....$2.0 trillion in SS surplus were collected and used on regular budget items just during 2001-2008....yes, it ADDED to our national debt, but it made the Deficits appear smaller than they actually were....

I have no idea what Keynesian economics regarding SS that you are speaking about?

most of the recovery act money allocated for the past year and a half, was spent on unemployment compensation, tax incentives and tax cuts, and distributions to state governments....where they used it to save some State gvt jobs like teachers, police, firemen, UE compensation clerks etc....it was up to each state on what to spend the money on, more or less....some states did a good job with the money, some states did not....

it certainly was not simply a ''jobs stimulus'', especially since the $700 billion was allocated for 10 years....a stimulus would be allocated for immediate spending only....as a jump start.

as far as Medicare or the medicare pill bill....

killing medicare would be inhumane and a death sentence for many seniors...they paid in to medicare for 45 years, they deserve the healthcare it was to pay for...insurance companies were refusing to cover any 'senior' back then, dropping them like hot potatoes....

the pill bill has major problems, we can't negotiate bulk discounts and states and citizens can't buy them from Canada and other westernized countries, who sell them for much cheaper...this was what republicans did and put in the bill....these need changing imho.

Why is the right so afraid of the truth that NPR provides?

And why does the right care about the part time contributor to NPR being fired?
Answer, they don't. But is is a good false outrage topic for them.

I love the way the libturds think THEY get to define the playing rules. Fuck the hell off.

I love the way the bushtards think they get to define the playing rules. Go play with your dolls.

I love the way you both believe NPR receives Federal Funding.:lol:

Forum List

Back