*Should NPR Be De-Funded?*

Someone should put their hands on the throat of Williams' ex-boss until she tells them who told her to fire him.

For a journalist, she's doesn't speak in measured terms.

She's already walking back the comments on his psychiatrist.

There you go...physical violence, and on a woman no less.

HERE'S a thought. When Williams was hired, the terms of his employment included an Ethics Code. It is Juan Williams PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to read, understand and adhere to that code. If Williams violated that code, then his termination it is HIS fault.

You right wingers like to accuse liberals of victim-hood. What a bunch of hypocrites.

If they looked the other way all the other times with Juan....and they did, they cannot come up and say you broke the contract....there is a thing called, "common practice". That's where everyone was looking the other way and letting him do it. Now that Soros has some pull at the station....that's where it got sticky for Williams.

NPR Finances

NPR is an independent, self-supporting media organization. We are also a membership organization of separately licensed and operated public radio stations across the United States.

pub_radio_rev.jpg

About NPR: Ethics Code

Then they won't miss the government handout.

All you have to do is get enough votes to defund it.

Good luck, LOSERS.

Just another excellent example of the conservative delusion that they represent the majority in this country.

Even the reddest of the red states fund public broadcasting.

NPR Finances

NPR is an independent, self-supporting media organization. We are also a membership organization of separately licensed and operated public radio stations across the United States.

pub_radio_rev.jpg

About NPR: Ethics Code

Then they won't miss the government handout.

All you have to do is get enough votes to defund it.

Good luck, LOSERS.

Just another excellent example of the conservative delusion that they represent the majority in this country.

Even the reddest of the red states fund public broadcasting.

well up until now anyway.

De-funding NPR is much ado about nothing. NPR receives no direct funding from the federal government. The amount of funding NPR receives from groups like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which does receive federal funding, is less than two percent. This is all nothing new. The Bush administration proposed step cuts in public funding for public broadcasts for 8 years only to have Congress restore them.

National Public Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NPR provides the truth?

Much more than MSM does.

They even cover stories that corporations who support MSM find embaressing.

they are the closest thing to true journalism we have left.
Exactly!

CPB funds NPR via three revenue streams. First, CPB gives “occasional grants” to NPR, which totaled $8,015,374 since the beginning of 2009 to date ($4 million a year).

Second, Congress appropriated a special three-year, $78 million funds specifically for NPR. This funding stream gave NPR $26 million per year in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Third, NPR member stations receive funds from a $90 million per year congressionally mandated effort to support public radio stations in the U.S. The specific percent of the $90 million that goes to NPR member stations is unclear.

GOP Ready to Probe NPR’s Federal Funding - HUMAN EVENTS
Nailed it again.

Hww many of you have every listened to Science Friday, Fresh Air, Talk of the Nation? Or Car Talk, talk of the nation, Marketplace?
NPR is quality programing, before passing judgement and simply repeating Right Wing Rhetoric, instead of staying willfully ignorant, why not open your eyes and ears and actually listen to the programing?
I don't beieve anyone of the echo chamber posting so far on this thread have ever listened to NPR, or know where on the radio dial NPR is located.
Why? Many RW fringers simply won't challegne the dogma of the right (the willfully ignorant), others are too stupid and counterpoints to what they've been told to believe make them nervous and upset. Poor RW Fringers must echo the posts of other fools, ideas scare the crap out of them.
What...no "Tell Me More?" tsk, tsk, tsk.

And no...it should not be de-funded.

It's quite probably the best spent money the government is directly and/or indirectly spending.

Yes, it should be de funded. I don't feel like spending my hard earned money on un fairness. Let them pay for their own un fairness.

How much does NPR actually get from the government? I read somewhere that 16% of their budget comes from the government. The budget is $160 million. That would mean the government gives $25 million. But I also read that NPR doesn't get any "direct" funding from the government.

Does anyone know?

NPR receives no direct funding from the federal government. Less than two percent of the budget is derived from competitive grants from federally funded organizations such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Science Foundation, and National Endowment for the Arts.

Approximately half of NPR's funding comes from NPR member stations. In an average year, NPR funds about 45 percent of its operations with membership dues and program fees from member stations. The balance of NPR's annual revenue is derived from private foundations, individuals and corporations, in the form of grants, gifts, investment proceeds, and corporate sponsorships. NPR receives some revenue from distribution fees and fees from tapes and transcripts. Financial statements, based on annual audits, are available in NPR's most recent Annual Report (5.7 MB - Requires Adobe Acrobat).

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS : NPR Ombudsman : NPR

How much does NPR actually get from the government?

I don't think that information would be readily available since NPR get's funding from federal competitive grants.

It's quite probably the best spent money the government is directly and/or indirectly spending.

Why should conservatives be paying for an organization that is openly biased towards the left? Would you want to pay for Fox?

Why should conservatives be paying for an organization that is openly biased towards the left? Would you want to pay for Fox?
In my area about 80 of the NPR programing is classical music. Of the remainder less than half could be considered political, even by the far right. Of course to some people, everything is political.

I don't think it's a fair to compare NPR to Fox News.

No they should not be.
I also don't think that he should of been fired. He wasn't attacking Muslims, he was talking about a gut reaction. When I flew right after 9/11 I had the same reaction.
I could see making him apologize, but firing him was going to far.

How much does NPR actually get from the government?

I don't think that information would be readily available since NPR get's funding from federal competitive grants.

That's the issue for me, it's supposedly "insignificant" but then the advocates for NPR howl at any suggestion that the government not fund them.

Seems like a shell game to me.

Yes, they should lose the public grant. But that has nothing to do with the Williams firing.

We do not need a media outlet being subservient to the U.S. Government under any circumstances.

Immie

Forum List

Back