Should It Be Illegal For Teachers To Push Their Politics On Their Students?

I don't know about the word "illegal", but there's certainly no place for political propagandizing in a taxpayer-funded institution, particularly when the "audience" is a bunch of children.

When my kids were in grade school, we had MANY conversations about stuff their teachers said, and what they said was ALWAYS coming from the Left. Since I want my kids to be independent thinkers (and not partisan sheep), I had to make a strong and consistent effort to (1) ask them what went on in school that day, (2) show them the other side of each argument and (3) remind them that there is always two sides to a story and to question everything, because partisans lie with great regularity. They're older now, but we still talk about that.

There is no excuse for pushing political agendas in public schools, zero, nada, none, period.

How bout religion?

I know of a grade school teacher who actually believes the earth is 6000 years old, that humans kept dinosaurs as pets and rode them like horses. She has sleepovers with her students and takes them to her crazy church.

Pretty ignorant for a so-called teacher.

Bad-Teacher-Film.jpg

I was wondering about this. Why are teachers allowed to take a captive audience (their students) and shove their vices and their political ideology down their throats.

The students really don't have a choice but to sit there and listen to a activist teacher filling their heads full of nonsense. When the kids come home and repeat this to their parents some go nuts. Some sue. Some start home-schooling. Some meekly put up with it because they feel powerless.

When I was in school, especially H.S., we had roundtable discussions about abortion or whatever the big issue of the day was, but the teachers rarely tried to tell us that we had to think a certain way. They asked what our opinions were, not tell us what our opinions should be.

Our kids are constantly being bombarded with nonsense. Listening to the SCOTUS hearings on Obamacare it seems that clarity is rare and common-sense is hard to find.

Can't a teacher who abuses his or her authority be guilty of a crime. Why isn't there a problem with teachers that abuse the trust they have earned to be in charge of our kids for 8 hours a day? If they're screwing up our kids can't we do anything about it?

9460086-a-man-with-a-mindless-brainless-empty-open-head-screaming.jpg

Does that mean ("no excuse for pushing political agendas") that prayer is properly restricted and that you oppose the Pledge of Allegiance? BTW, who put "Under God" into the Pledge? Oh yeah, politicians.

You are correct Sir!

It would indeed much better to give parents much greater freedom in the use of their tax dollars for the education of their children in the publicly accredited school of their choice.

Absolutely get the government all the way out of it.
No govt money, you have children? Take personal responsibility and you pay for raising and educating them.

So all state universities should be closed down?

Nope just charge the parents the full cost of their childs education.

I don't know about the word "illegal", but there's certainly no place for political propagandizing in a taxpayer-funded institution, particularly when the "audience" is a bunch of children.

When my kids were in grade school, we had MANY conversations about stuff their teachers said, and what they said was ALWAYS coming from the Left. Since I want my kids to be independent thinkers (and not partisan sheep), I had to make a strong and consistent effort to (1) ask them what went on in school that day, (2) show them the other side of each argument and (3) remind them that there is always two sides to a story and to question everything, because partisans lie with great regularity. They're older now, but we still talk about that.

There is no excuse for pushing political agendas in public schools, zero, nada, none, period.

How bout religion?

I know of a grade school teacher who actually believes the earth is 6000 years old, that humans kept dinosaurs as pets and rode them like horses. She has sleepovers with her students and takes them to her crazy church.

Yep, agreed, no place for it.

So all state universities should be closed down?

So tuition at all major universities should go to upwards of 100,000 dollars per year?

so all private universities charge that amount?

But yes parents should be responsible for educating their children.
Is it right to expect everyone else to pay for it?
Education is an entitlement?

Bad-Teacher-Film.jpg

I was wondering about this. Why are teachers allowed to take a captive audience (their students) and shove their vices and their political ideology down their throats.

The students really don't have a choice but to sit there and listen to a activist teacher filling their heads full of nonsense. When the kids come home and repeat this to their parents some go nuts. Some sue. Some start home-schooling. Some meekly put up with it because they feel powerless.

When I was in school, especially H.S., we had roundtable discussions about abortion or whatever the big issue of the day was, but the teachers rarely tried to tell us that we had to think a certain way. They asked what our opinions were, not tell us what our opinions should be.

Our kids are constantly being bombarded with nonsense. Listening to the SCOTUS hearings on Obamacare it seems that clarity is rare and common-sense is hard to find.

Can't a teacher who abuses his or her authority be guilty of a crime. Why isn't there a problem with teachers that abuse the trust they have earned to be in charge of our kids for 8 hours a day? If they're screwing up our kids can't we do anything about it?

No. With that said, it certainly is unethical... and should be treated as such. I would like to see it as grounds for dismissal at the K through 12 levels. But that's just me.

College? Eh, what's college without those nut bag professors still living in 1920's Russia?

How bout religion?

Sounds like a nut-job.

But if that were in line with liberal ideology I'm sure they would ignore it like they ignore everything else.

So tuition at all major universities should go to upwards of 100,000 dollars per year?

That's not what they charge now, but it would be if they had to make students pay the full cost. Virtually all major private universities receive a lot of government funding under various guises.

Personally I think it is to everybody's benefit that a society allows its children to reach their full potential. But I guess you think it would be OK for the US to have a 50% illiteracy rate and become a third world country.

That's not what they charge now, but it would be if they had to make students pay the full cost. Virtually all major private universities receive a lot of government funding under various guises.

Personally I think it is to everybody's benefit that a society allows its children to reach their full potential. But I guess you think it would be OK for the US to have a 50% illiteracy rate and become a third world country.

If you cannot afford to raise em do not have em.

why should the education entitlement be the only entitlement supported by some.
Other entitlements keep our elderly and poor alive and somewhat healthy.

Last edited:
You mean like this?...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFC1qFCgyA]School children sing praises to their savior Obama - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1azHYjjG_U&skipcontrinter=1]German children sing "Hitler is our saviour" - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds good in a utopian society.
But parents have to work 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to pay the bills and put food on the table, and you want them to spend hours teaching math, reading, and writing skills along with social studies and science??

That's home-schooling.

You ask a very interesting question. But to answer it properly, we first need to understand what the real problem is. It all started with Children being Schooled to be Stupid...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPnDZ1Txlo]SCHOOL SUCKS: The American Way - YouTube[/ame]

Bad-Teacher-Film.jpg

Yeah....you always sound like someone who knows what's being discussed, in schools, now-days.

handjob.gif

"Republican conservatives should be worried. Evangelical churches that frequently support conservative candidates are finally admitting something the rest of us have known for some time: Their young adult members are abandoning church in significant numbers and taking their voting power with them."

Your agenda can't even keep the straight-kids, anymore!

827.gif

Bad-Teacher-Film.jpg

I don't think it should be illegal, I think teachers should have the common decency to not do it.

Any teacher that does it is no more mature than the students he/she is teaching...

Depends on the subject. Of course a teacher can offer his or her opinion. I think they should make it clear to the students that it is their opinion on a matter and encourage the student to observe/reseach the facts of a matter and develop their own opinions. Offering as fact a political opinion should be frowned upon and depending on the situation the school administrators should take some corrective action. Now pushing some kind of dogma like many forms of Creationism in science class that too should be frown upon and ......

Damn I forgot.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it would happen. If tomorrow you cut all government funding for all of these schools you believe that all of a sudden new schools would miraculously spring up?

You do realize, of course, that even virtually all major private universities would have to shut down if they received no more government money?

Except that nobody said do it overnight.

Man, that is weak. You realize your ideological pipe dream is an illusion and this is the best you can come up with?

I believe this is what they call "projecting."

This is false. If they charged a rate that nobody could pay then they'd have no students and go out of business. Without government subsidizing them they'd have to make their rates competitive to attract students and make a profit. That's how the market works.

Forum List

Back