Should Government/Public Unions Be Abolished?

Should Government/Public Unions Be Abolished?

• Total voters

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
I know this is a very emotional and controversial subject but it think it does have to be confronted. I'm not talking about Private Unions,i'm just talking about Government/Public Unions. So what do you think?

Last edited:
Seems like they hold the Taxpayers hostage far too often. I especially don't like how the Teacher Unions behave.

Seems like they hold the Taxpayers hostage far too often. I especially don't like how the Teacher Unions behave.

Nor do I. Teaching isn't about money. It's about ensuring that future generations have the knowledge and wisdom they need to function in modern society.

Even FDR thought that collective bargaining for public employee's a bad idea. He was right!

Yep... that's the spirit... let's extend the same policies that killed the working people in the private sector, into the Public sector. Brilliant... then we can bottom line teachers, Cops, firefighters and prison guards just like the big corporations do.

Pay scum wages and scum will apply.

Nor do I. Teaching isn't about money. It's about ensuring that future generations have the knowledge and wisdom they need to function in modern society.

All about incentives for the fat cats and CEO's to get progress done, but when teachers are thrown into the mix it's somehow ridiculous huh?

Higher teacher pay would very likely improve teacher commitment and dedication to their jobs and have a positive net effect on the kids.

With the kind of anti-teacher mentality we have in the states, it's no wonder we are no longer the smartest nation on earth. Not even close. There's a reason why most of the high paying technical and scientific jobs are given to people who immigrated here.

Last edited:
I know this is a very emotional and controversial subject but it think it does have to be confronted. I'm not talking about Private Unions,i'm just talking about Government/Public Unions. So what do you think?

The way you framed it as a public unions only proposal I support it.

I would be very much against abolishing private unions.

The way you framed it as a public unions only proposal I support it.

I would be very much against abolishing private unions.

Yea i'm more flexible on Private Unions. I'm just talking Government/Public Unions.

Well sure. Let's get rid of all unions. Then, let's go after child labor laws and minimum wage.

That way, we can save money while hiring the lowest of the low, the least qualified ... AND, we can do away with what little is left of US manufacturing and small businesses.

In turn, that would get us that much closer to being a Fascist Plutocracy, run by and for the 1%.

Then the cerfs would hand over their brides for the 1% to "have", in a biblical way, if you get my drift, on their wedding night.

Cool Beans.

All about incentives for the fat cats and CEO's to get progress done, but when teachers are thrown into the mix it's somehow ridiculous huh?

Let's talk about "incentives" shall we?
Every time incentives are mentiond to the teachers I know they recoil. They want no part of any real testing based incentives. And those are the only incentives that matter.

Higher teacher pay would very likely improve teacher commitment and dedication to their jobs and have a positive net effect on the kids.

How has high teacher pay EVERY made any difference? Case in point Washignton D.C schools. VERY high pay, VERY low scores/graduation rate.

With the kind of anti-teacher mentality we have in the states, it's no wonder we are no longer the smartest nation on earth. Not even close. There's a reason why most of the high paying technical and scientific jobs are given to people who immigrated here.

Where do I start?
I'm not anti teacher. (I have at nine close family members that are teachers) They all say the same things:.

We have no way to enforce the Dicipline that makes for a good classroom.

We have no way to remove an unrully student.

We have no recourse when giving grades, 'cause the parents get them changed with a visit to the principal.

Teachers are graded on their seniority, not their ability. This makes for a very bitter low seniority class of teacher.(IE the good ones) They often leave the public school system for greener pastures.

Well sure. Let's get rid of all unions. Then, let's go after child labor laws and minimum wage.

That way, we can save money while hiring the lowest of the low, the least qualified ... AND, we can do away with what little is left of US manufacturing and small businesses.

In turn, that would get us that much closer to being a Fascist Plutocracy, run by and for the 1%.

Then the cerfs would hand over their brides for the 1% to "have", in a biblical way, if you get my drift, on their wedding night.

Cool Beans.

Try the decaff.

Cool Beans.

Try the decaff.

IOW, what I said is correct.

Thanks.

Unions and the collective bargaining, political power and unavoidable corruption that go along with them have done more damage than proponents will admit.

Each union should be considered on its own and not given to blanket condemnations caused by the failures of another. Failures of the UAW should not be visited on the union of school teachers or vice versa.

The ability to strike should not be extended to public (government employee) unions. Reagan's firing of the air controllers when they decided to strike is a prime example of the only reasonable solution such "hostage taking" actions imposed on the public by public service employee unions...fire the strikers and hire others to perform the work that must go on continuously in order for society to function continuously.

A strike at a GM plant does little to harm the general public. It takes away little, if anything from the government provided services that citizens pay for and expect to happen. It hurts the company, its stock holders and its ability to expand...but it doesn't cause any great loss of public services.

Some years ago, there was a sanitation worker's strike, I believe in New York. I don't recall the outcome of the strike. I do recall their being a stench in the city for an extended period, not one second of which should have been allowed to happen. Here we had public service employees causing great danger by way of health hazards to the citizens being served. All these workers should have been fired and replaced.

Carry this argument a bit further...it would not be difficult to conclude that no public service employee should be allowed to strike. It would then follow that there is no sense in having a union. Therefore, I contend that all public sector unions should be abolished.

Where private sector companies are contracted to perform services for government needs, even the private unions should not be permitted to strike for the duration of the contract.

Because "every man for himself" works so well.

Yes--and FDR agrees with me. While FDR was pro-private sector union he was against public unions because they can hold taxpayer funded budgets HOSTAGE.

Let's talk about "incentives" shall we?
Every time incentives are mentiond to the teachers I know they recoil. They want no part of any real testing based incentives. And those are the only incentives that matter.

How has high teacher pay EVERY made any difference? Case in point Washignton D.C schools. VERY high pay, VERY low scores/graduation rate.

Where do I start?
I'm not anti teacher. (I have at nine close family members that are teachers) They all say the same things:.

We have no way to enforce the Dicipline that makes for a good classroom.

We have no way to remove an unrully student.

We have no recourse when giving grades, 'cause the parents get them changed with a visit to the principal.

Teachers are graded on their seniority, not their ability. This makes for a very bitter low seniority class of teacher.(IE the good ones) They often leave the public school system for greener pastures.

ALL salaries in Washington DC tend to be higher. The cost of living in Washington DC is one of the highest in the country.

I'll match your nine family friends who are teachers and raise you 30 more family friends who are teachers, and then I'll throw out some things that makes it seems like I have authority on the matter because of such. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back