Should Government/Public Unions Be Abolished?

• Total voters
I know this is a very emotional and controversial subject but it think it does have to be confronted. I'm not talking about Private Unions,i'm just talking about Government/Public Unions. So what do you think?

they are not governmnt unions. just because someone works for the government doesn't mean they have no rights.

i can only speak for the PO.....if it wasn't for that Union the worker would be treated like shit.....and i am NOT talking about pay and Benefits....im talking how the worker gets treated by Management....a good many managers in the PO are motherfucking assholes....as well as being piss poor managers....

I don't think they should be abolished, but I do think they should be voluntary. And I do think their compensation and benefits should be tied to some kind of index or combination of indexes for inflation or prices instead of getting lavish pensions and medical insurance and the like from the very pols they contribute tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to.

I don't think they should be abolished, but I do think they should be voluntary. And I do think their compensation and benefits should be tied to some kind of index or combination of indexes for inflation or prices instead of getting lavish pensions and medical insurance and the like from the very pols they contribute tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to.

That makes no sense because the 'pols' as you call them are accountable to all the voters, and all the taxpayers, and most of them are not in a public union, but they are paying the taxes that fund the public sector jobs.

I know this is a very emotional and controversial subject but it think it does have to be confronted. I'm not talking about Private Unions,i'm just talking about Government/Public Unions. So what do you think?

no

:clap2:

Very intelligent :doubt:

The taxpayers have no say in the negotiations....how is it a good thing when the ones footing the bill have 0 say in it?

i can only speak for the PO.....if it wasn't for that Union the worker would be treated like shit.....and i am NOT talking about pay and Benefits....im talking how the worker gets treated by Management....a good many managers in the PO are motherfucking assholes....as well as being piss poor managers....

If it wasn't for Unions, bad managers would be able to be fired.

Bad managers aside, the Post Office is going down as we once knew it.
Why?
Because the taxpayers are on the hook for unfunded liabilities.
Promises made by others that cannot be kept on the backs of citizens.

Shoot, just look at the state of California and why it is broke!

Fortunately it doesn’t make any difference what anybody thinks, abolishing public sector unions is un-Constitutional and illegal, as such an effort by the state would be a violation of the First Amendment:

First Amendment Free Association Cases

A number of United States Supreme Court decisions recognize that the First
Amendment’s protections of the right to free association extends to union activities in
public employment. See, e.g., Thornhill v. Alabama, 310 U.S. 88 (1940); Smith v.
Arkansas State Hwy. Employees Local 1315
, 441 U.S. 463, 465 (1979). Such
Constitutional protections exist, of course, without regard to whether a state has adopted
a public sector collective bargaining statute. Speech relating to union organizing activity
is generally deemed to be a matter of public concern. Thus, “the right to discuss and
inform people concerning the advantages and disadvantages of unions and joining them .
. . is part of free assembly.” Thomas v. Collins, 323 U.S. 516, 533 ((1945).

http://apps.americanbar.org/labor/annualconference/2007/materials/data/papers/v2/066.pdf

Consequently this thread is moot.

Yes. Too much corruption.

Unions and the collective bargaining, political power and unavoidable corruption that go along with them have done more damage than proponents will admit.

Yes--and FDR agrees with me. While FDR was pro-private sector union he was against public unions because they can hold taxpayer funded budgets HOSTAGE.
Evidence in support? Or is this merely your subjective, uninformed opinion?

I don't think they should be abolished, but I do think they should be voluntary.

The above is correct and conforms to current Constitutional case law.

Fortunately it doesn’t make any difference what anybody thinks, abolishing public sector unions is un-Constitutional and illegal, as such an effort by the state would be a violation of the First Amendment:
<snip>

Unless a PU decides to de-cert.

And it does matter what people think...geeshhh, talk about first amendment rights!

Unions restrict competition and competition regulates pay and pay determines what is pumped into the economy...

Both private and public sector unions are horrible for the economy...

Every state should be right to work state...... It just so happens many people have no choice but to join a union if they want a job and their pay isn't based on their own negotiation or their performance, its based on a collective performance and negotiated by an asshole most union members don't even personally know....

When I worked in machine operation I was a member of the Steel Workers/Shop Keepers union (local) and I had an opportunity to read the CBA they had with the company I worked for and it was absolutely ridiculous... They had a stipulation that demanded turkeys for all employees on every major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mothers Day and Easter).... WTF. I was only paying like 30 bucks in union dues a month for a turkey 4 times a year?? Oh and then once a month the company I worked for was forced to throw a "food party" which really was nothing more than a "pizza party."

It was fucking retarded...

It was almost like everyone was treated as a 8-year-old... I mean I was sent to the fucking hospital because I cut my hand, where I was promptly given a band aid a bottle of 200 dollar hospital Tylenol, drug tests and a Tetanus shot...

Useless....

Unions restrict competition and competition regulates pay and pay determines what is pumped into the economy...

Every state should be right to work state...... It just so happens many people have no choice but to join a union if they want a job and their pay isn't based on their own negotiation or their performance, its based on a collective performance and negotiated by an asshole most union members don't even personally know....

When I worked in machine operation I was a member of the Steel Workers/Shop Keepers union (local) and I had an opportunity to read the CBA they had with the company I worked for and it was absolutely ridiculous... They had a stipulation that demanded turkeys for all employees on every major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mothers Day and Easter).... WTF. I was only paying like 30 bucks in union dues a month for a turkey 4 times a year?? Oh and then once a month the company I worked for was forced to throw a "food party" which really was nothing more than a "pizza party."

It was almost like everyone was treated as a 8-year-old... I mean I was sent to the fucking hospital because I cut my hand, where I was promptly given a band aid a bottle of 200 dollar hospital Tylenol, drug tests and a Tetanus shot...

Useless....

You do realize that the reason your pay scale was different from an illegals pay scale was your union. And that without your union, you wouldn't be getting much in the way of medical care for any workplace injury.

We have no way to enforce the Dicipline that makes for a good classroom.

We have no way to remove an unrully student.

We have no recourse when giving grades, 'cause the parents get them changed with a visit to the principal.

Work rules are one of the prime motivators for unionizing. What you are describing is a union without the power to define the work environment. Removing unions certainly won't improve that.

We have a constitutional right of free association. It is constitutionally impossible to ban unions, public or private. Since the peak of union membership in the late 60s-early 70s unions have been under attack in many different ways and it seems management is winning since unions abandoned their formerly militant methods but no one has tried to ban public unions because of that damned constitution, that does not stop them from chipping away at them in ways that push the envelope of constitutionality. I have often heard it said there was a time when unions were useful and did a lot of good but I have also wondered just how far we must slide back into unchecked exploitation before they become necessary again, for some apparently, no level of exploitation is too much and workers have only the right to shut up and take whatever management can do to them.

We have a constitutional right of free association. It is constitutionally impossible to ban unions, public or private. Since the peak of union membership in the late 60s-early 70s unions have been under attack in many different ways and it seems management is winning since unions abandoned their formerly militant methods but no one has tried to ban public unions because of that damned constitution, that does not stop them from chipping away at them in ways that push the envelope of constitutionality. I have often heard it said there was a time when unions were useful and did a lot of good but I have also wondered just how far we must slide back into unchecked exploitation before they become necessary again, for some apparently, no level of exploitation is too much and workers have only the right to shut up and take whatever management can do to them.

There is a difference between the First Amendment and extortion...

Not to mention since unions pay dues they could be considered a business...

Back in the day when the mafia(s) were running the game they were charged with extortion and racketeering - what makes these new age politically connected fools any different??? because they re-purchased government protection instead of mafia protection???

If you didn't notice the unions as an organization donated massively to the Obama campaign back in 08 and Obama turned around and had the stimulus' passed - which of course went into the unions pockets - however then took over a fucking company (GM) and created the cash for clunkers program which smashed used cars to create a demand for new cars manufactured by whom??? oh yeah UAW - a union..

That fuck Obama should be charged with numerous crimes including money laundering....

Last edited:

Useless....

You do realize that the reason your pay scale was different from an illegals pay scale was your union. And that without your union, you wouldn't be getting much in the way of medical care for any workplace injury.

We have no way to enforce the Dicipline that makes for a good classroom.

We have no way to remove an unrully student.

We have no recourse when giving grades, 'cause the parents get them changed with a visit to the principal.

Work rules are one of the prime motivators for unionizing. What you are describing is a union without the power to define the work environment. Removing unions certainly won't improve that.

Nice fallacy.....

You see you ASSUME a company will pay minimum wage without a union and that is total bullshit...

I worked skilled jobs... In my non-union work I was paid for what I knew not for what someone demanded.

I don't believe many individuals could have done what I did - hence a guy like me would be in demand and I believe the union held me back with their collectivism bullshit...

They tried to keep the pay rate as close as possible, however I was using complex measurement tools and reading specs while some illegal that cant speak more than 10 words of English is helping me....

The funny thing is I was promoted from being one of those idiots catching the metal behind the shear to being the guy that cuts and forms in less than a month. The reason for that is because I showed a proficiency in measurement and analytical skills - not to mention they had a test which I aced...

I don't cut metal anymore or form it however my point is I learned something and applied it.....

I learned my measurements from laying tile and figuring out the correct scheme - I'm not some idiot that thought he was a genius because he could figure out a 30 piece puzzle.

Last edited:
Teacher's unions are a necessary evil. Kids in trouble often lie, and their parents (and a few administrators) often believe those lies. Unions provide legal protection.

Teaching (and perhaps policing) are two occupations where, if no one complains, you probably aren't doing it right. True story.

I'll trade ya'.

You grant that limited libability for corporations ought to be abolished and I'll give you a ban on public sector unionism

Deal or no deal?

Well sure. Let's get rid of all unions. Then, let's go after child labor laws and minimum wage.

You dumbass... when did anybody say that?

Thats the problem with folks like you. There is NO way to have an intelligent conversation with you :cuckoo:

No way to have an intelligent Conversation? Ok...I know for a fact that I've seen Conservatives on this very board saying that the Minimum Wage is unconstitutional and should be banned, and we have Newt Gingrich saying that Child Labor laws are bullshit...

Just because it wasn't mentioned in this thread, doesn't mean it isn't part of the agenda.

no

:clap2:

Very intelligent :doubt:

The taxpayers have no say in the negotiations....how is it a good thing when the ones footing the bill have 0 say in it?

Bullshit... they do have a say.. in the form of the Governor of a State, the President of the United States... you know, the people that us taxpayers elect to negotiate on behalf of us. The problem is for you guys is that you want a guarantee of lowball wages and no benefits, just like in the Private Sector.

Did you ever stop to think that if Unions weren't effectively busted in the private sector that you'd be receiving pay and benefits on par with the Public Sector? It's not that the Public Sector gets spoiled...it's that the private sector got screwed.

Useless....

I am sure those turkeys and the Pizza parties were the only thing that was in that CBA...talk about dishonest. As far as how you were treated at the hospital... how is that the Union's fault that you weren't given the Percocet you were trying to get? Seems to me that would fall on the Hospital. I don't think that Narcotics are part of the CBA.

There is a difference between the First Amendment and extortion...

Not to mention since unions pay dues they could be considered a business...

Back in the day when the mafia(s) were running the game they were charged with extortion and racketeering - what makes these new age politically connected fools any different??? because they re-purchased government protection instead of mafia protection???

If you didn't notice the unions as an organization donated massively to the Obama campaign back in 08 and Obama turned around and had the stimulus' passed - which of course went into the unions pockets - however then took over a fucking company (GM) and created the cash for clunkers program which smashed used cars to create a demand for new cars manufactured by whom??? oh yeah UAW - a union..

That fuck Obama should be charged with numerous crimes including money laundering....

Why do you think that Unions donate to Democratic Candidates? C'mon... take your Rush Beckbaugh glasses off for a second and think about it ...................................Ok...time's up. They donate to the Democratic Party because they are the only party that seem to care about labor. If they donated to the Republican Party, it would be the equivalent of sending money to people who want to destroy unions and screw labor over.

I know... It can't be that simple, right? It has to be a massive Conspiracy theory on how Unions are trying to destroy America and turn it into a Communist country. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

The problem with Public unions is that they really stopped being about working conditions and became a political action committee.

The end result is that they've made it impossible to fire people who really ought to be fired.

For example, I cited yesterday, the example of a New York City teacher who molested a sixth grader, even the union agreed he should never be in a classroom again, but they still fought tooth and nail against him being fired. As a result, he collected a $97,100 salary for 14 years for doing absolutely no work.

That's a system that has gone horribly wrong.

Forum List

Back