Should Government/Public Unions Be Abolished?

Should Government/Public Unions Be Abolished?

• Total voters
Wow...they must have a strong local. Our union is pretty much in bed with management on disciplinary issues...and actually, I am fine with that. I work with the Developmentally disabled and THEY are the priority, not the staff. Now, there has been times when a Supervisor or manager is a general asshole that dislikes a certain staff member(s) and nitpicks the employee(s) to death or makes shit up...Then, the Union should be able to step in and require a full investigation of Harassment. If the Supervisor/manager is in the wrong...they should be disciplined. If the underling is in the wrong THEY should be disciplined.

But when it comes to the people that we serve? I am all for the way we do things. If there is an accusation of abuse or neglect against a staff person, that staff person is immediately removed from Client contact and an investigation is started. During the time the investigation is being done, the employee is put into a non-client contact job... Dietary, Garage, Grounds crew, etc....The investigation usually takes 4-6 weeks. Depending on the results of the investigation, the employee is either terminated or sent back to their regular position.

Wow...they must have a strong local. Our union is pretty much in bed with management on disciplinary issues...and actually, I am fine with that. I work with the Developmentally disabled and THEY are the priority, not the staff. Now, there has been times when a Supervisor or manager is a general asshole that dislikes a certain staff member(s) and nitpicks the employee(s) to death or makes shit up...Then, the Union should be able to step in and require a full investigation of Harassment. If the Supervisor/manager is in the wrong...they should be disciplined. If the underling is in the wrong THEY should be disciplined.

But when it comes to the people that we serve? I am all for the way we do things. If there is an accusation of abuse or neglect against a staff person, that staff person is immediately removed from Client contact and an investigation is started. During the time the investigation is being done, the employee is put into a non-client contact job... Dietary, Garage, Grounds crew, etc....The investigation usually takes 4-6 weeks. Depending on the results of the investigation, the employee is either terminated or sent back to their regular position.

Or if the boss doesn't want you there, you'd probably be happier somewhere else.

What a concept.

Or if the boss doesn't want you there, you'd probably be happier somewhere else.

What a concept.

Yeah... fuck... why should one work at a job that pays well and they happen to love?

You see, that's the problem with "Conservatives". The rich are always right, the Boss is never wrong and the line worker should have no protections. Once again... I make a non-biased post about how things operate where I work, and some "Conservative" acts like a dick.

i can only speak for the PO.....if it wasn't for that Union the worker would be treated like shit.....and i am NOT talking about pay and Benefits....im talking how the worker gets treated by Management....a good many managers in the PO are motherfucking assholes....as well as being piss poor managers....

If it wasn't for Unions, bad managers would be able to be fired.

Bad managers aside, the Post Office is going down as we once knew it.
Why?
Because the taxpayers are on the hook for unfunded liabilities.
Promises made by others that cannot be kept on the backs of citizens.

Shoot, just look at the state of California and why it is broke!

the Unions have nothing to do with bad managers not being fired Belle.....they have tried to get some of these assholes out of here.....the PO is the one who controls that....and they love Managers who dont work with people......and the PO makes its own money....in the 90's they made a lot of it....which in turn is taken by Congress....the PO is not supposed to make money...

What a concept.

Yeah... fuck... why should one work at a job that pays well and they happen to love?

You see, that's the problem with "Conservatives". The rich are always right, the Boss is never wrong and the line worker should have no protections. Once again... I make a non-biased post about how things operate where I work, and some "Conservative" acts like a dick.

Hey, I've left places because the boss didn't like me. I just learned to deal. My last job, complete dick of a boss. Couldn't really complain about my performance, because it was exemplary. BUt I wasn't the person he wanted to hire, I was the second choice, but his first choice got sick and left. Eventually, he used the excuse of an organization to put me in a position that would self terminate in a year and didn't utilize my skills.

But you know what, that's life, man. You learn to deal. I got a job somewhere else, despite how bad Obama's fucked up, oh, pretty much everything.

There is no right to a job. I know that's a concept you liberals don't quite understand.

Seems like they hold the Taxpayers hostage far too often. I especially don't like how the Teacher Unions behave.

Nor do I. Teaching isn't about money. It's about ensuring that future generations have the knowledge and wisdom they need to function in modern society.

All about incentives for the fat cats and CEO's to get progress done, but when teachers are thrown into the mix it's somehow ridiculous huh?

Dude, the question itsn't about position, it's about government versus private. "Teachers" would not be prohibited from unions, government employees would. Try to keep up.

Nor do I. Teaching isn't about money. It's about ensuring that future generations have the knowledge and wisdom they need to function in modern society.

All about incentives for the fat cats and CEO's to get progress done, but when teachers are thrown into the mix it's somehow ridiculous huh?

Dude, the question itsn't about position, it's about government versus private. "Teachers" would not be prohibited from unions, government employees would. Try to keep up.

What the fuck do you mean try to keep up? I'm against both, fool. I already know conservatives are against teachers unions(a lot more than just their unions too), so I'm throwing that in there.

Last edited:
Absolutely they should. Bargaining between politicians/government administrators who steal from the people versus lifetime bureaucrats who already live off the people should not be negotiating how much more the people will be screwed without the people at the bargaining table.

Everyone is free to get a job in the private sector where they contribute to the economy. If they chose a job living off the people they shouldn't be handed another tool to ream them with, which is all that happens.

What the fuck do you mean try to keep up? I'm against both, fool. I already know conservatives are against teachers unions(a lot more than just their unions too), so I'm throwing that in there.

Your quote. You write em. You can't even keep up with what you argue? No wonder you don't grasp what other people do.

What a concept.

Hey, I've left places because the boss didn't like me. I just learned to deal. My last job, complete dick of a boss. Couldn't really complain about my performance, because it was exemplary. BUt I wasn't the person he wanted to hire, I was the second choice, but his first choice got sick and left. Eventually, he used the excuse of an organization to put me in a position that would self terminate in a year and didn't utilize my skills.

But you know what, that's life, man. You learn to deal. I got a job somewhere else, despite how bad Obama's fucked up, oh, pretty much everything.

There is no right to a job. I know that's a concept you liberals don't quite understand.

Just because you're too much of a pussy to fight for yourself, doesn't mean the rest of us have to be that way..... but I know that's a concept that you Conservatives don't quite understand.

Just because you're too much of a pussy to fight for yourself, doesn't mean the rest of us have to be that way..... but I know that's a concept that you Conservatives don't quite understand.

Joe leaves his job if he doesn't like it and finds one he likes. You want a union to do it for you. Which means "he" is too much of a pussy to fight for himself. Wow. If liberals could read their own posts without being blinded by their liberal religion...

Never said he didn't like his job... he said he didn't like his boss. You see, there is this thing called a "GRIEVANCE" that Unionized employees have when a dickhead of a boss is harassing you. Filing a GRIEVANCE against your boss is the equivalent of fighting back...not just accepting your fate and running away with your tail between your legs.

I know this is a very emotional and controversial subject but it think it does have to be confronted. I'm not talking about Private Unions,i'm just talking about Government/Public Unions. So what do you think?

I don't like them one bit, but I think what they are is just one of the imperfections of our free society. How exactly would you go about abolishing them? Federally, I don't see any authorization in the constitution to abolish it. In fact, the 1st amendment may protect the right to form a union.

The Teacher Unions' awful behavior is what has swayed me towards supporting getting rid of Public Unions all-together. They just hold the Taxpayers hostage too often. They forgot they worked for us. They have come to believe it's the other way around.

Seems like they hold the Taxpayers hostage far too often. I especially don't like how the Teacher Unions behave.

Teachers are there to make a living wage, too, but supporting the bad teachers are a function of the union I cannot agree with.

As the President of the most notable Teacher's Union once said, " I'll be there for the children when they pay the dues." (paraphrased)

The Teacher Unions' awful behavior is what has swayed me towards supporting getting rid of Public Unions all-together. They just hold the Taxpayers hostage too often. They forgot they worked for us. They have come to believe it's the other way around.

How would you go about getting rid of public unions altogether? Is the constitution that unimportant?

I am no fan of unions, public or private. Private unions, particularly the trade unions, may have some tentative viability in their argument that they provide skilled labor for various jobs. Many other unions provide only some way to lighten the workers' pocketbooks in order to provide political support for candidates who will eventually pay them handsomely for that support. Public unions exist solely for the latter purpose. Oh yes, unions sell themselves to the work force on the premise that union representation will improve their lot, but if you compare the value received by the work force to the benefits enjoyed by the union leadership, you will see a very clear 99% vs. 1% schism.
Regardless whether private or public, all unions should be curtailed in participation in the political process. Union representation should be restricted to negotiating with the employer on behalf of the employed. That's the rub with public sector unions, negotiations take place between factions that have a distinct advantage of favoring each other and to hell with both the employer (taxpayers) and the employees.

I am no fan of unions, public or private. Private unions, particularly the trade unions, may have some tentative viability in their argument that they provide skilled labor for various jobs. Many other unions provide only some way to lighten the workers' pocketbooks in order to provide political support for candidates who will eventually pay them handsomely for that support. Public unions exist solely for the latter purpose. Oh yes, unions sell themselves to the work force on the premise that union representation will improve their lot, but if you compare the value received by the work force to the benefits enjoyed by the union leadership, you will see a very clear 99% vs. 1% schism.
Regardless whether private or public, all unions should be curtailed in participation in the political process. Union representation should be restricted to negotiating with the employer on behalf of the employed. That's the rub with public sector unions, negotiations take place between factions that have a distinct advantage of favoring each other and to hell with both the employer (taxpayers) and the employees.

You know nothing. Only repeating what you've heard from dubious sources.

Let me enlighten you on something... Unions... at least the one I belong to (AFSCME) does not "take our money for Political Contributions". They take our dues to negotiate contracts, represent us in disputes with management and to work to find equitable solutions that both sides can agree with. Do they have a PAC? Yes. But participation in the PAC is completely voluntary.

When they hold Governments hostage,they hold Taxpayers hostage. And that's violating fellow Citizens' rights. I think the Wisconsin Governor had it right in trying to curtail their power. He was just trying to protect the Taxpayers and get the State's Budget under control. But he got vilified for doing this by the corrupt MSM who are always in bed with the Left/Democrats. Their collective bargaining rights should be curtailed. Walker had it right.

Forum List

Back