Should Gerrymandering be Banned?

Still happens.

About Gerrymandering | Fair Districts PA

The problem isn’t just its odd shape. When you look at District 7 alongside Districts 6 and 16, you see a prime example of cracking: The lines spread poor urban communities out among suburban and rural areas. For example, Reading is the fifth largest city in Pennsylvania. The lines are drawn to put Reading voters in the same district as Lancaster farmers. We can’t directly link lack of representation and issues like poverty and low school funding, but it’s interesting to note that Reading is currently the poorest community, with the most underfunded school system, in the U.S.

Are those areas contiguous? If so, it is not gerrymandered.

What does school funding have to do with it? Are you terminally bewildered?

It's in the link, it's PA, cracking is one of the reasons the state supreme court had to go in and do the redistricting themselves. I used that link to demonstrate that cracking still takes place.

You could not answer the questions, could you?

OK, fair enough. You are simply a dumbass and not worth engaging and educating.

No, it's been answered.

No. You did not answer the questions I posed to you because you don't know, dumbass!

Are they contiguous? According to the description that I provided, yes. Happy now? Jesus, try reading.

“Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union...” redistricting is left up to the states. Elections have consequences. In those states where majority wants to skew it their way...good for them. If they want a commission or panel...sure. But keep the power of Congressional districts in the hands of the states. If they want to gerrymander...so be it.

Just as I thought, you're conflating redistricting with gerrymandering. You should go back to whatever shithole you got your poli-sci degree from and demand a refund.
Educate yourself dip shit. Gerrymandering born out of redistricting and is alive and well in United States at federal and state levels. Fuck your dumb.
Gerrymandering, Where to Draw the Line? - The Legal Edition

“Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union...” redistricting is left up to the states. Elections have consequences. In those states where majority wants to skew it their way...good for them. If they want a commission or panel...sure. But keep the power of Congressional districts in the hands of the states. If they want to gerrymander...so be it.

Just as I thought, you're conflating redistricting with gerrymandering. You should go back to whatever shithole you got your poli-sci degree from and demand a refund.
Educate yourself dip shit. Gerrymandering born out of redistricting and is alive and well in United States at federal and state levels. Fuck your dumb.

Gerrymandering is perverting redistricting and you are now conflating common with fair. A democracy does not work when the majority party bends the rules to it's own favor.

Who is "Gerrymandering" named after? Do you even know the history behind it? Did you know the practice is over 200 years old?

Yes, we've been through this, maybe read through the thread first before posting.

I did. You apparently cannot read, and filled in with your imagination.

It's in the link, it's PA, cracking is one of the reasons the state supreme court had to go in and do the redistricting themselves. I used that link to demonstrate that cracking still takes place.

No, it's been answered.

No. You did not answer the questions I posed to you because you don't know, dumbass!

Are they contiguous? According to the description that I provided, yes. Happy now? Jesus, try reading.

Then why are you bitching about gerrymandering? If they were not contiguous, you would have a point. If they are, there is no gerrymandering and you actually support gerrymandering!

How big of a dumbass are you?

Still happens.

About Gerrymandering | Fair Districts PA

The problem isn’t just its odd shape. When you look at District 7 alongside Districts 6 and 16, you see a prime example of cracking: The lines spread poor urban communities out among suburban and rural areas. For example, Reading is the fifth largest city in Pennsylvania. The lines are drawn to put Reading voters in the same district as Lancaster farmers. We can’t directly link lack of representation and issues like poverty and low school funding, but it’s interesting to note that Reading is currently the poorest community, with the most underfunded school system, in the U.S.

No, it's been answered.

My frustrations exactly.

I teach this shit, dumbass! I don't have to Google like you!

I feel sorry for your students.

You were arguing from a position of ignorance, trying to separate redistricting from gerrymandering. Gerrymandering started in the early 1800s and continues today, mostly making at least some Congressional seats safe for minorities. The aforementioned Corrine Brown's district in FL was a testament to how convoluted districts had to be drawn in north Florida to get a black elected.

Do you think the majority party should redraw districts to benefit them?

In my current state, blacks only live in the inner cities of four metro areas. They still couldn't win a seat if all of them were rolled into one district. That's why black Democrats don't do well statewide or in Congress, yet our Lt. Governor is a black female Republican.

I'm guessing they win more than one congressional district due to population, not gerrymandering but nice try.

You feel sorry for my students because they learn the truth?

The courts, as I have said before, have dictated that maps be drawn to guarantee minority representation. That is undemocratic, but I don't teach that because that is my opinion.

There are no black Congressman or even statewide office holders in my state. The mayors of all the large cities are white. There are not enough blacks to concentrate to make up a district. Only one Democrat in our congressional delegation and that seat has been Democrat since Reagan was elected. You can't gerrymander what you don't have.

Why does there have to be black democrats? Also, why do there have to be enough blacks to make up a district?

They don't win elections if they are not "packed" as your link indicated. My state is probably the most un-gerrymandered state you can find.

Why are you only focusing on your state?

I am educating you dumbass! Gerrymandering is not as all-encompassing as you seem to think except by states that are forced to put Blacks in Congress by the courts!

Gerrymandering is perverting redistricting and you are now conflating common with fair. A democracy does not work when the majority party bends the rules to it's own favor.

Who is "Gerrymandering" named after? Do you even know the history behind it? Did you know the practice is over 200 years old?

Yes, we've been through this, maybe read through the thread first before posting.

Sorry you feel that way. Here is the text again:

The problem isn’t just its odd shape. When you look at District 7 alongside Districts 6 and 16, you see a prime example of cracking: The lines spread poor urban communities out among suburban and rural areas. For example, Reading is the fifth largest city in Pennsylvania. The lines are drawn to put Reading voters in the same district as Lancaster farmers.

Urban communities are broken up into suburban districts.

I'm guessing they win more than one congressional district due to population, not gerrymandering but nice try.

The courts, as I have said before, have dictated that maps be drawn to guarantee minority representation. That is undemocratic, but I don't teach that because that is my opinion.

There are no black Congressman or even statewide office holders in my state. The mayors of all the large cities are white. There are not enough blacks to concentrate to make up a district. Only one Democrat in our congressional delegation and that seat has been Democrat since Reagan was elected. You can't gerrymander what you don't have.

Why does there have to be black democrats? Also, why do there have to be enough blacks to make up a district?

They don't win elections if they are not "packed" as your link indicated. My state is probably the most un-gerrymandered state you can find.

I am educating you dumbass! Gerrymandering is not as all-encompassing as you seem to think except by states that are forced to put Blacks in Congress by the courts!
The Admiral just sounded “general quarters” on your ass.

The problem isn’t just its odd shape. When you look at District 7 alongside Districts 6 and 16, you see a prime example of cracking: The lines spread poor urban communities out among suburban and rural areas. For example, Reading is the fifth largest city in Pennsylvania. The lines are drawn to put Reading voters in the same district as Lancaster farmers.

If they are contiguous, that is NOT gerrymandering!

Will you please learn the terminology? Talking to you is like explaining nuclear physics to a villager from a Amazon tribe that has just been discovered.

I'm specifically referring to gerrymandering when it's the party in power who works to divide and conquer the party out of power simply because they control the state legislature. You seem to think that doesn't happen. It does, PA it looks like thankfully has taken this responsibility out of the state legislature and governor's hands because they couldn't agree.

If they are contiguous, that is NOT gerrymandering!

Will you please learn the terminology? Talking to you is like explaining nuclear physics to a villager from a Amazon tribe that has just been discovered.

If they are contiguous that is not gerrymandering? That's a ridiculous statement, prove it.

While chopping up a district is obvious gerrymandering and many states have outlawed this, the fact that a district is contiguous does not mean it can't be gerrymandered. I don't think you do know what you are talking about.

You've let this become so personal you've lost the original purpose of the thread - how the constitution calls for representation of the people. The details were left to the state legislators - elected officials - and judges [unelected] have usurped that power.

The correct word you are looking for is:

malapportionment

No, that's what the Census Bureau is doing. You might want to read the 14th Amendment on the topic.

Gerrymandering as a verb is the process of drawing districts and is a legal process...When malapportionment occurs it is the drawing of those boundaries for political power sake..

Yes, but how do we find non partisan people to set the districts up?
There are computer programs, algorithms that have been developed, that can reset district lines with the same amount of people in each district....that are not calculated in a partisan manner.

That would shrink the number minority representatives in the US House.
Where the alogrithms interesected majority minority populations, their representation would increase.

Where the alogrithms interesected majority minority populations, their representation would increase.

Increased representation from inner-city districts? Try again.
todd, I understand that you don't understand, but that is OK.

The correct word you are looking for is:

malapportionment

No, that's what the Census Bureau is doing. You might want to read the 14th Amendment on the topic.

Gerrymandering as a verb is the process of drawing districts and is a legal process...When malapportionment occurs it is the drawing of those boundaries for political power sake..

No malapportionment happens when the census bureau counts people for the purpose of representation that shouldn't be counted, such as non-citizens and felons that have lost their voting rights. It's all in the 14th.

Yes, but how do we find non partisan people to set the districts up?
There are computer programs, algorithms that have been developed, that can reset district lines with the same amount of people in each district....that are not calculated in a partisan manner.

That would shrink the number minority representatives in the US House.

Increased representation from inner-city districts? Try again.
todd, I understand that you don't understand, but that is OK.

I understand that randomly drawn districts will reduce the political power of the 13% of the population that's black. We should try it, the whining would be historic!

Forum List

Back