Should Congress Legalize ALL Drugs, Including Meth?

Discussion in 'Congress' started by mal, Dec 2, 2009.

?

What Drugs, if ANY, Should be Legalized...

Poll closed Mar 12, 2010.
  1. 1.) None.

23.3%
  2. 2.) None and Criminalize Booze again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3.) ALL!

40.0%
  4. 4.) Some... List the ones that are Special to you.

36.7%
  1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,748
    I'm so sorry noose. I meant the people who believe drugs are harmless. I should have worded that better. I apologize. I work with throwaway children whose parents would rather get stoned or drunk than sign them up for Little. League. They'd rather waste their unemployment checks on weed than school supplies. I feel very strongly that addicts should not raise children. And no one plans on being an addict.

2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    It comes down to the same thing, however. If you own yourself then you should be able to do whatever you want to yourself.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,311
    but, it's not merely "the same thing" when making a distinction between different affects and reactions to DIFFERENT substances. Heavy drugs are not merely a flag to wave in the name of libertarianism. If you ever acquire first hand experience with cracked out coke fiends you might understand what i'm talking about... letalone meth.

4. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    The question is this, if you legalize drugs, does that mean use will skyrocket? Doubtful. Those attracted and using will still be attracted and using. Those who think taking drugs is stupid will continue to think it is stupid. What will change is the cost to society that was used to house these "criminals" and that those who became wealthy in the blackmarket will lose what was once a lucrative source of income.

5. noose4

noose4 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +610

I mostly agree.

6. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,311
    I disagree. Compared to the years of prohibition the use of alcohol today IS inflated to skyrocket proportions. Likewise, were drugs, ALL DRUGS, legal then the use of such would, when compared to illegal use now, skyrocket. This is why I don't advocate the legalization of all drugs. Increased consumption of pot will not produce the same kind of social reaction as the increased consumption of coke and meth.

7. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,963
    My two cents on the issue of Hard Drugs (Coke, Meth): The problem isn't the fact that the drugs exist. Because if they didn't exist, the user would just find another hard drug or solution to their problem. What's wrong with The War on Drugs today is that it's a racket for several groups. And a problem that stems from that is we focus too much on jailing the people with addictions then even trying to get them some kind of rehab.

No, it doesn't work for everyone. However, throwing people in Jail for 10-15 isn't the solution either. All you're doing is delaying that problem and creating a new one.

8. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,662
    just legalize marijuana

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,864
    or at least decriminalize posession of small amounts like they did here in Mass.

10. judyd

judyd Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I really disagree with this. In Maryland, at least, they give far too many "chances" to these jerks to go through rehab. The repeat offenders are unending and so are the crimes that they commit to support their habits. If they're not going to legalize drugs, then they should really make stiff --20 years--for drug use. The rest of the community shouldn't have to be subject to the crimes of these wimps. There would be a lot less criminal drug use if the penalties were really harsh and there was no chance for "rehab" instead.