Should Congress Legalize ALL Drugs, Including Meth?

What Drugs, if ANY, Should be Legalized...

• 2.) None and Criminalize Booze again.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YET. Have you seen any crack downs on sugary, caffeinated beverages within the last 4 years? With sleep deprivation and energy drinks? It's not cocaine's REPUTATION that makes is less apparent how great it feels to snort a line, dude.

If it feels so great why are you insisting there are all these one time users that won't touch the stuff for fear of getting caught? Especially when the chance of getting caught is so low.

and, with as many alcoholics and drunk driving deaths EVERY YEAR it's pretty silly to claim that alcohol doesn't also have the potential to fuck up a life. Potential that is made apparent by a vast myriad of sources.

I never said one should have a different stigma than the other. The simple reality is that it does. Pot shouldn't have a worse stigma than alcohol. The reality is that it does. Same as with coke and alcohol.

and yes, I CAN tell you that people would certainly cut out lines that turn them into percieved social superstars if legal. Don't you remember DISCO or the 80s at all? Shit wasn't legal then but you sure as hell knew what was going on in studio 54, didn't you?

Sure, and look at things now. Far fewer people are recereational drug users comparing then to now and the legality of the issue didnt change at all. The stigma is what changed. The legal negativity of absuing the substance hasn't changed in that time. The negativity associated with the substance itself has and as ar result there are fewer users.

I disagree. Chances are, you've tried alcohol. hell, chances are, you've even smoked a cigarette in your life. I'm sure you drink caffeine and i'd be willing to bet you've had a sugar high at some point in your life. I attribute the majority of your opinion to flat out ignorance due to non-exposure to the substance you are commenting on. That is not condemnation; it's true that drugs are not for everyone. HOWEVER, to look at our medicated society and assume legal coke wouldn't hit like wildfire is three shades of naive.

But who is really likely to use it? The peopel that already are of course in which case legality is irrelevant. Then there's the people that tried it once but decided their not trying it again because it's not legal. I would find pretty naive to believe there are many people in that group. Lastly there's everyone else who has simply heard about the stuff. You can count me in that group and you can tell me how great it is til your blue in the face, I have zero desire to try it, legal or not. Why? because of what I have been exposed to. All I know about coke is that apparently it feels good to use. I also know it's pretty easy to misuse, can drain you financially, can cause your nose to cave in, and generally fuck your life up. Given those negatives the negativity of going to jail for using it is a non-factor in my decision. If I'm the most naive guy on the block as you imply obviously everyone else can impart a lot more logical reasoning than little old me is capable of and will come to the same conclusion I have about using coke a lot faster.

Last edited:
/

If it feels so great why are you insisting there are all these one time users that won't touch the stuff for fear of getting caught? Especially when the chance of getting caught is so low.

I've never stated that at all. I think it's a matter of availability and the chance of getting busted. for some it's easy to get but for the vast majority they are not able to go find 8 balls without knowing someone. However, I promise you, in a college town when the availability is rampant and the risk for getting busted is slim then people will do drugs. Ever wonder why colleges are bastions of drug activity?

I never said one should have a different stigma than the other. The simple reality is that it does. Pot shouldn't have a worse stigma than alcohol. The reality is that it does. Same as with coke and alcohol.

Again, the flaw in your arguement is that you assume that all substances affect a person equally. They don't. Pot is less than alcohol but coke IS worse then both pot and alcohol. Social stigmas are nothing more than the social construct of a reputation applied regardless of actual reality. There is no way that alcohol, while worse than pot, is itself worse than coke. REGARDLESS of social stigma.

Sure, and look at things now. Far fewer people are recereational drug users comparing then to now and the legality of the issue didnt change at all. The stigma is what changed. The legal negativity of absuing the substance hasn't changed in that time. The negativity associated with the substance itself has and as ar result there are fewer users.

Uh, are you kidding me? CRACK in the 80s didn't strike you as an uptake of lethality? METH doesn't strike you are more lethal? Cracks lethal stigma is a direct result of it's impact on society at large in the 80s. Does the term CRACK BABY ring a bell? yes, the method of consumption and lethality of such did change. People didn't tend to smoke rock in the 60s.

and, if you think that LESS people smoke pot and there is MORE stigma associated with drugs then it must boggle your mind during the entire series run of That 70s Show, Friday, Harold and Kumar, School Daze, Road Trip and every other instance where the consumption of pot has been rationalized as normal enough to be accepted openly as cool.

But who is really likely to use it? The peopel that already are of course in which case legality is irrelevant. Then there's the people that tried it once but decided their not trying it again because it's not legal. I would find pretty naive to believe there are many people in that group. Lastly there's everyone else who has simply heard about the stuff. You can count me in that group and you can tell me how great it is til your blue in the face, I have zero desire to try it, legal or not. Why? because of what I have been exposed to. All I know about coke is that apparently it feels good to use. I also know it's pretty easy to misuse, can drain you financially, can cause your nose to cave in, and generally fuck your life up. Given those negatives the negativity of going to jail for using it is a non-factor in my decision. If I'm the most naive guy on the block as you imply obviously everyone else can impart a lot more logical reasoning than little old me is capable of and will come to the same conclusion I have about using coke a lot faster.[/QUOTE]

You are simply wrong. a LOT of people are equally potentially willing to become users of a legal substance. Again, in 1984 no one consumed guarana based energy drinks with ramped up caffeine. NOW? Go to a truck stop and ask yourself why all those yellowjacket and minithins are behind the counter yet legal. Hell, even after ephedera was banned the product STILL retained their markets. I don't think it's the stigma of the drug that confounds you so much as it is your schema of those who use drugs.. which, in this day and age of over medication and prescription pill abuse, pretty much blows that whole demographic wide open.

Again, I don't care if you have a desire to try it. What you might want to consider is that, despite my position against legalization, I'm admitting that coke is a wonderfully feeling drug. I'm not trying to convince you to go snort a line; but I AM being brutally honest about a subject that you clearly have limited insight on. It's easy to be a paladin about trying substance from behind the veil of complete unknowing ignorance. Perhaps you should go find your one semi-shady buddy from back in the day and ask him his opinion on the subject matter. Like I said before, I'm willing to bet that those who have used cocaine before are grinding their teeth while reading a thread like this.

I've never stated that at all. I think it's a matter of availability and the chance of getting busted. for some it's easy to get but for the vast majority they are not able to go find 8 balls without knowing someone. However, I promise you, in a college town when the availability is rampant and the risk for getting busted is slim then people will do drugs. Ever wonder why colleges are bastions of drug activity?

Again if you've tried it once, you got it from somewhere so chance are it won't be real difficult for you to find it again. That leaves the people that have never tried it, like me. Do you really think I'm in the minority of that group of people because I have zero interest in trying the stuff?

I would imagine I'm less removed from college than you are and all I can tell is no the college I went to was not full of drugies, The college my sister went to wasn't and she's less removed than I am. My brother's wasn't and even less removed than her. You have pretty much implied this whole time stating I am ignorant on the issue that at one point in your life you indeed did have a coke habit. Did you ever consider that you're position is at the very least as naive as you claim mine is. Maybe the reason I didn't see all this drug use is because I didn't surround myself with users. Maybe the reason you think they are bastions of drug activity is because you did and you were one yourself. As you so aptly stated before ones experiences shape their opinion which may or may not coincide with reality. And it shouldn't be rocket science to figure out which of the two groups (users and non-users) is more DEtached from reality.

Again, the flaw in your arguement is that you assume that all substances affect a person equally. They don't. Pot is less than alcohol but coke IS worse then both pot and alcohol. Social stigmas are nothing more than the social construct of a reputation applied regardless of actual reality. There is no way that alcohol, while worse than pot, is itself worse than coke. REGARDLESS of social stigma.

Again with the again. I think if you read a few posts back I said I was keenly aware that drugs affect people differently. As such I don't follow the point you are trying to make here.

Uh, are you kidding me? CRACK in the 80s didn't strike you as an uptake of lethality? METH doesn't strike you are more lethal? Cracks lethal stigma is a direct result of it's impact on society at large in the 80s. Does the term CRACK BABY ring a bell? yes, the method of consumption and lethality of such did change. People didn't tend to smoke rock in the 60s.

I'm talking about the number of illegal drugs users, not what they use or their lethality.

and, if you think that LESS people smoke pot and there is MORE stigma associated with drugs then it must boggle your mind during the entire series run of That 70s Show, Friday, Harold and Kumar, School Daze, Road Trip and every other instance where the consumption of pot has been rationalized as normal enough to be accepted openly as cool.

Not mind boggling at all. just because it's more socially acceptable doesn't mean more people are doing it.

You are simply wrong. a LOT of people are equally potentially willing to become users of a legal substance. Again, in 1984 no one consumed guarana based energy drinks with ramped up caffeine. NOW? Go to a truck stop and ask yourself why all those yellowjacket and minithins are behind the counter yet legal. Hell, even after ephedera was banned the product STILL retained their markets. I don't think it's the stigma of the drug that confounds you so much as it is your schema of those who use drugs.. which, in this day and age of over medication and prescription pill abuse, pretty much blows that whole demographic wide open.

Fewer people consumed Garauna in drinks thnn because it simply wasn't as available as it is today. Monster, Amp, Red Bull, none of them were around in the 80s. You couldn't find energy drinks at a gas station. There weren't any 'users' of Gaurana because there were almost no supplies.

I think what confounds you is that you and I associate with very different people. I know zero coke heasd or meth addicts. One or two prescription pill abusers and a few pot head. I'm guessing in the circles of life you have been exposed to over the course of yours you have been exposed to a lot more. Just because you've been around more drugs and drug abuse than I have doesn't inherently mean that what you've been exposed to constitutes the generally true reality of the world. At best it is no more valid than mine.

Again, I don't care if you have a desire to try it. What you might want to consider is that, despite my position against legalization, I'm admitting that coke is a wonderfully feeling drug. I'm not trying to convince you to go snort a line; but I AM being brutally honest about a subject that you clearly have limited insight on. It's easy to be a paladin about trying substance from behind the veil of complete unknowing ignorance. Perhaps you should go find your one semi-shady buddy from back in the day and ask him his opinion on the subject matter. Like I said before, I'm willing to bet that those who have used cocaine before are grinding their teeth while reading a thread like this.

that you state I have limited exposure to it implies that you have had some if not considerable exposure to it. Why is it you presume your existance has been more normal or status quo with regard to drug use than mine?

I have to agree with this.

This country is PLAGUED by the use of the Prozacs and the Percocets of the world. While not STREET legal, they are certainly much easier to obtain since they only require something as simple as a doctor's autograph.

Coke is a dopamine, seratonin, and norepinephrine reputake inhibitor. And incidentally, so are most prescription depression medications like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc. As well as narcotic pain killers such as Percocet.

There's really not much difference between those prescribed drugs, and coke, at the end of the day. With both, the user becomes 'addicted' and can typically not safely stop use spontaneously, without negative effects on the neuro-transmitter process.
Not always true.

Lots of people who shot smack in 'Nam came back home and never touched the stuff again. There are also lots of people who can use pot, cocaine, etc. recreationally and not become physically dependent.

I'm in the Dr. Thomas Szasz camp on this one..."Addiction" (as it has become colloquially known) is a symptom, not a cause in and of itself.

Well, I put quote marks around the word addicted for this reason. I don't accept the term in the same way others do. The neurotransmitters are affected though, and its up to how strong your will power is to be able to put down the rolled up benjamin.

Also, there is an IMMEDIATE-term period where you are 'addicted', so to speak. It's the brain telling you after you sniff your first line that you need more or you're going to hate life. That's what I was most referring to.

What sets people apart is how you handle your actions the next day when the initial 'feen' process has worked its way out. Some choose to keep using, others can go about their life and not touch it again for months.

Also though, someone who's been on a depression med for a long time will most likely battle similar withdrawal symptoms after stopping cold turkey, as someone who's been booting dope.

My whole point in all of this, is that the issue of legality has nothing to do with 'health'. If coke, heroin, and speed were legal, pharma companies would lose BILLIONS.

You make some good points in this post, only the pharm companies would not lose billions, they would make trillions. Surely the FDA and their androids would regulate these substances as well. Which would include the goverment in regards to the deal they have with them concerning Obama's suicidal health care bill. ~BH

Anyone who actively seeks out drugs for a "high" has got other issues they need to be dealing with. Personally I could care less if they removed pot from the schedule 1 drug list. If kids want to smoke it let them...they will end up dying from it one way or another.

besides maybe causing a car accident while stoned, tell me one way someone will die from marijuana?

Then tell me ways people will die from cigarettes? Funny, laws against smoking them in public now... and ways someone will die from drinking 4 beers, oh wait, illegal to drive after that many beers now...

The fact is that you can hinder the freedoms of others, like with cigarettes if you smoke in public... the fact is that you can also become impaired as much or more-so than people using alcohol...

Besides you or someone else wanting to get high.. there is no reason to legalize this drug (and don't give me the debunked medicinal argument.. when we have nebulized and ingested drugs such as Marinol that already give the beneficial effects that are sought after without having the high or the smoking delivery system that is never approved by the FDA)
so make it illegal to drive while stoned and why would I name ways you can die from cigarettes when it doesn't apply to marijuana. No one has ever developed lung cancer from marijuana and if having an asthma attack some doctors believe smoking marijuana can be more effective than most inhalers. No one has ever died from marijuana unless it was due to an accident such as a car accident.

besides maybe causing a car accident while stoned, tell me one way someone will die from marijuana?

Then tell me ways people will die from cigarettes? Funny, laws against smoking them in public now... and ways someone will die from drinking 4 beers, oh wait, illegal to drive after that many beers now...

The fact is that you can hinder the freedoms of others, like with cigarettes if you smoke in public... the fact is that you can also become impaired as much or more-so than people using alcohol...

Besides you or someone else wanting to get high.. there is no reason to legalize this drug (and don't give me the debunked medicinal argument.. when we have nebulized and ingested drugs such as Marinol that already give the beneficial effects that are sought after without having the high or the smoking delivery system that is never approved by the FDA)
so make it illegal to drive while stoned and why would I name ways you can die from cigarettes when it doesn't apply to marijuana. No one has ever developed lung cancer from marijuana and if having an asthma attack some doctors believe smoking marijuana can be more effective than most inhalers. No one has ever died from marijuana unless it was due to an accident such as a car accident.

Just curious my friend, but where the hell did you hear this truck load of bullshit? Nothing personal, I was just wondering about it myself? :razz:~BH

Just curious my friend, but where the hell did you hear this truck load of bullshit? Nothing personal, I was just wondering about it myself? :razz:~BH

yea not sure where the lie you quoted gets circulated. everything I have read says that smoking one joint can be as harmful as a pack of cigarettes wrt to lungs.

I still think it should be legal though. keeping thousands of people in jail and having 16 and 17 year olds caught with a joint losing all chance to get college assistance is really fucking stupid.

booze , tobacco, caffeine, and marijuana are the drugs that should be legal, the rest cause too much damage to the user and society.

I agree.

Meth should never be legal. That's a terrible drug. The same for it's designer cousin, ecstasy, which punches holes in people's brains.

I don't think they should legalize cocaine, but I do think the mandatory crack sentences should match cocaine, since it's a one step acid/base reaction that doesn't only changes the composition (and not mechanism) of the drug.

I can't find any good scientific evidence to support that. I find a lot of anecdotal.

I am also not sure that you can state that no one has ever developed lung cancer from smoking pot.

One thing that does annoy me is when people compare joints to cigarettes. Unless you are chain smoking joints, it's really not a good analogy.

All you have to do is look at your bong water or that roach your smoking. See all of that brown shitty goop on or in the water? Well smoke a few joints a day and tell me what your lungs will look like after a year....not to mention you won't have any glaucoma problems but you will be so fricken dumbed down that seeing anything normally won't matter.

Like I said...go ahead...smoke all you want....do it in your own house...do it with all your friends....when you need to get all of that brown goopy shit pumped out of your lungs because you can't climb one flight of stairs without passing out from lack of oxygen don't ask me to pay your medical bills.

No one has ever developed lung cancer from marijuana

Wow...I had no idea you were an oncologist specializing in lung cancers and their respective causes.

You know that heavy burning sensation from inhaling marijuana smoke?....and then you laugh and call it cheap mexican dirt weed?...well anytime you feel like your throat and lungs are ON FIRE that's not normal.

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
This website is one of those marijuana "myth buster" sites....and even they say they don't have a clue about the effects of marijuana smoke...they say it doesn't cause cancer but they're not sure.
Myths and Facts About Marijuana

There is another study out there done at UCLA that says marijuana smoking in of itself doesn't cause cancer...but that's what they said about cigarettes for 50 years too.

Drugs and Human Performance FACT SHEETS - Cannabis / Marijuana ( D 9 -Tetrahydrocannabinol, THC)

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with ALL drugs being legal if they could only be consumed in regulated locations... but, the flaw in the logic behind legalizing all drugs is the assumption that they all equally affect the individual user similarly and don't, according to specific substance, cause different reactions to users. There is a giant difference between how a coke or meth user reacts to their drug than a pot smoker.

I don't see the flaw in the logic. Most people intuitvely understand that concept. We know that is true in the drugs that are legal (i.e. alcohol, pain pills).

then, again, i'll ask you; how many coke heads have you ever dealt with personally lit up like a fucking neon light after a personal 8 ball? And, if you actually have a positive answer maybe you'd like to compare their behaviour to that of a pothead.

Since the effects of cocaine are short lived one would have to be in the presence of said coke head and more than likely watch them consume the "8 ball". I personally cannot relate to this scenario but I can with a pothead....the pothead was listless, lazy and babbling incoherently after smoking some "purple hair sinsemilla". I personally witnessed them consume the entire contents of a freshly stocked refridgerator( at least 20 lb.s) in less than 90 minutes and then when they went back to sit on the couch it looked like they had a basketball under their T-shirt. I myself didn't smoke any...it was my younger half-brother. It was quite funny watching him interact with normal society. He's now in prison for 15 years because he robbed a liquor store to buy drugs.

I don't see the flaw in the logic. Most people intuitvely understand that concept. We know that is true in the drugs that are legal (i.e. alcohol, pain pills).

then, again, i'll ask you; how many coke heads have you ever dealt with personally lit up like a fucking neon light after a personal 8 ball? And, if you actually have a positive answer maybe you'd like to compare their behaviour to that of a pothead.

Since the effects of cocaine are short lived one would have to be in the presence of said coke head and more than likely watch them consume the "8 ball". I personally cannot relate to this scenario but I can with a pothead....the pothead was listless, lazy and babbling incoherently after smoking some "purple hair sinsemilla". I personally witnessed them consume the entire contents of a freshly stocked refridgerator( at least 20 lb.s) in less than 90 minutes and then when they went back to sit on the couch it looked like they had a basketball under their T-shirt. I myself didn't smoke any...it was my younger half-brother. It was quite funny watching him interact with normal society. He's now in prison for 15 years because he robbed a liquor store to buy drugs.

sounds like a real winner. AND, he is probably a great example of the millions of robberies that happen every year by potheads looking for a fix!

:cuckoo:

:lol:

I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the drug he was robbing to pay for wasn't pot.

sounds like a real winner. AND, he is probably a great example of the millions of robberies that happen every year by potheads looking for a fix!

I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the drug he was robbing to pay for wasn't pot.

Absolutely correct...marijuana was a gateway drug and he was into ice quite heavily by the time he destroyed his life.

Absolutely correct...marijuana was a gateway drug and he was into ice quite heavily by the time he destroyed his life.

yea dude! Chances are MILK was the first think to start him on that path... And oxygen. Can't forget oxygen. AND, that nefarious grape flavored cough syrup they give to kids. Now THAT shit will send you on a path to drug dependence.

your scapegoat mentality reflects the rest of your less-than-impressive input in this thread.

Alcohol and cigarettes are "gateway drugs".

Lenny Bruce had this silly "gateway drug" talking point nailed in his "zig zag coverups" routine in 1961.

All you have to do is look at your bong water or that roach your smoking. See all of that brown shitty goop on or in the water? Well smoke a few joints a day and tell me what your lungs will look like after a year....not to mention you won't have any glaucoma problems but you will be so fricken dumbed down that seeing anything normally won't matter.

Like I said...go ahead...smoke all you want....do it in your own house...do it with all your friends....when you need to get all of that brown goopy shit pumped out of your lungs because you can't climb one flight of stairs without passing out from lack of oxygen don't ask me to pay your medical bills.

Again, it's a poor analogy.

Few people chain smoke joints. The 1/2 of THC is vastly higher than nicotine. That's why cigarette smokers that are hooked "chain smoke".

It's also why the concept of "light" cigarettes is ludicrous.

I am not saying MJ is good for your lungs, but they are not analogous to cigarettes.

No one has ever developed lung cancer from marijuana

Wow...I had no idea you were an oncologist specializing in lung cancers and their respective causes.

You know that heavy burning sensation from inhaling marijuana smoke?....and then you laugh and call it cheap mexican dirt weed?...well anytime you feel like your throat and lungs are ON FIRE that's not normal.

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
This website is one of those marijuana "myth buster" sites....and even they say they don't have a clue about the effects of marijuana smoke...they say it doesn't cause cancer but they're not sure.
Myths and Facts About Marijuana

There is another study out there done at UCLA that says marijuana smoking in of itself doesn't cause cancer...but that's what they said about cigarettes for 50 years too.

Drugs and Human Performance FACT SHEETS - Cannabis / Marijuana ( D 9 -Tetrahydrocannabinol, THC)

Again, this is a drug 1/2 life issue. That's what drives the "rate" of smoking. If you smoke one cigarette a day, the odds for COPD and lung cancer are pretty low too.

The problem is, no one just smokes "one cigarette" (discounting social smokers).

Let's see:

I smoked pot habitually from the time I was 14 to the time I was 33. I quit without the slightest problem, just because I was sick of having a group of friends that were obsessive about smoking pot.

I drank heavily from the time I was 16 to the time I was 24. I reduced my drinking without the slightest problem to no more that 3 (sometimes 4) beers or glasses of wine a day. I never drink hard liquor anymore (I loved scotch). I quit becuase I had weird working hours - I'd arrive at bars late at night when I was still dead sober - when I saw how fucking disgusting really drunk people were - I cut my drinking down immediately.

I have tried just about every illegal drug except for herion - none, except pot, ever appealed to me so none ever became a habit.

I have been smoking cigareetes from the time I was 13 to the present (I'm 51 years old). I have tried to quit dozens of times and I can't. I've tried hypnosis, patches, gum...everything. I know that it's going to kill me in a few years - but I still can't quit.

'nuff said....

Forum List

Back