Should atheists celebrate Thanksgiving?

Well, when you think about it we're celebrating a myth. We weren't friendly with the Indians. Those of you who had European ancestors here in those days are celebrating genocide over a couple hundred years.

Well, when you think about it we're celebrating a myth. We weren't friendly with the Indians. Those of you who had European ancestors here in those days are celebrating genocide over a couple hundred years.
No, that isn't what we're celebrating. Thanksgiving is not a celebration of myth or genocide.

It's a celebration of our bounties and blessings despite war.

One pass through the Southeast, and Desoto expedition left behind viruses that decimated the East Coast Indians before the first Englishmen arrived..

They found a shattered people, torn my tribalism, each tribe ready to prostitute itself to the whites for aid against other Indians.

That's your noble savages.

I'm pretty sure that we are thanking god on Thanksgiving for Walmart for bringing us the bounty of Black Friday, which allows us to fill our homes with a whole lot of crap we don't need that was manufactured in the third world. The NFL seems to be involved somehow, too. However, it does make more sense than Halloween, which celebrates absolutely nothing except 3rd rate teenage horror movies and Hershey's chocolate kisses.

:( It's much much worse than that.

It's a celebration of myth busting.

See, one of my lines is descended from William Bradford. I'm also relegated to the chopping stuff this year- so far. Not what was originally planned. At some point, that one individual is going to whip out the Rush Limbaugh version of Thanksgiving, read it with somber patriotic vibe and pontificate.

Then I have to correct the whole damn thing. I have copies of all Bradford's writings.

And then when it's all over with and I am alone with my thoughts, I am going to be really thankful.

Thankful that I bought a bigger bottle of a better quality bourbon to use 1/4 up to make a chocolate bourbon pecan pie.

Atheists can argue that Christmas and Easter have pagan roots, since the Early Church replaced pagan holidays with Christian holidays and adopted many of the same symbols....

But Thanksgiving has no pagan roots. It has been since the beginning a holiday about thanking God for the blessings we have in our life, as individuals, and as a nation.

You don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Thanksgiving, but you do have to believe there is some divine power that is providing us with the things we need in life. So a Jew, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist, or a Shinto could celebrate Thanksgiving.

But an atheist has no one to thank. He thinks that everything good in life is entirely his own doing, or just a result of good luck or fortunate circumstances.

So let me ask you atheists, do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

And if you do, don't you see that it is rather hypocritical to celebrate a holiday to thank a divine power you don't believe in?
We can certainly thank people like you for providing object lessons on the dangers of religious extremism.
I'm not a religious extremist. I'm just a regular everyday Catholic. There's nothing extreme about anything I believe in.

Thanksgiving's my least favorite holiday. Completely fabricated origin story covering up brutal treatment of the natives.

THE REAL STORY OF THANKSGIVING

As an effective atheist, prefer 'areligious' but it hasn't caught on yet, most holidays have secular versions. Christmas, Easter with Santa and Easter Bunny et al. Wanna "celebrate" the religious part or completely ignore it, you're probably still gonna get the day off so might as well. Plus, more cravenly for myself, if I get free candy or presents, I'll celebrate whatever you say. :)
Atheists can argue that Christmas and Easter have pagan roots, since the Early Church replaced pagan holidays with Christian holidays and adopted many of the same symbols....

But Thanksgiving has no pagan roots. It has been since the beginning a holiday about thanking God for the blessings we have in our life, as individuals, and as a nation.

You don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Thanksgiving, but you do have to believe there is some divine power that is providing us with the things we need in life. So a Jew, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist, or a Shinto could celebrate Thanksgiving.

But an atheist has no one to thank. He thinks that everything good in life is entirely his own doing, or just a result of good luck or fortunate circumstances.

And if you do, don't you see that it is rather hypocritical to celebrate a holiday to thank a divine power you don't believe in?

They can thank whoever they want.

Hell, you do not have to believe in a god to be thankful.

And, almost everyone likes turkey.

I think somebody needs to get a life, if their mind dwells on shit like this.
LOL, if I need to get a life then so does everyone else on this forum.

Just because somebody is atheist doesn't mean they don't believe in a higher power, that is called nihilism.

Atheists I know absolutely believe in a higher power, namely the force of nature, and I believe many of them are thankful for it. They simply don't personify it or worship it. But this non personified even non intelligent force of nature provides them with many things they both need and want.

Just because somebody is atheist doesn't mean they don't believe in a higher power, that is called nihilism.

Atheists I know absolutely believe in a higher power, namely the force of nature, and I believe many of them are thankful for it. They simply don't personify it or worship it. But this non personified even non intelligent force of nature provides them with many things they both need and want.
If you believe in a higher power, you are not an atheist.

That isn't correct, all atheism means is without theism. You can even be religious without theism.

There already is a word for not believing in anything, that is called nihilism. Nihilism and atheist aren't synonyms.

That isn't correct, all atheism means is without theism. You can even be religious without theism.

There already is a word for not believing in anything, that is called nihilism. Nihilism and atheist aren't synonyms.
I know what an atheist is. An atheist does not believe in God or any gods or any other supernatural entity or spirit. You are simply wrong. This is a ridiculous argument.

I know what an atheist is. An atheist does not believe in God or any gods.
This is correct.

or any other supernatural entity or spirit.
This isn't true. I know atheists that believe in ghosts and even an afterlife. They just don't worship a god. They are simply without theism. It seems you don't really know what an atheist is.

You are simply wrong.
I am willing to accept that I am wrong but you are going to have to enlighten me as to what you are defining as theism.
This is a ridiculous argument.
Than why did you start this thread?

Who are you to say which holidays atheists can celebrate?
I am just a regular guy who's noticed that atheists do a lot of pretending just to get along with friends and family and co-workers.

There's no "pretending" involved.
Yes, there is. You "go along to get along" -- one atheist admits he pretends to pray on Thanksgiving. You celebrate Christmas, but secretly despise Christ. But you keep it to yourself, you don't want Mom and Dad to get upset, or any of your other relatives.

Who are you to say which holidays atheists can celebrate?
I am just a regular guy who's noticed that atheists do a lot of pretending just to get along with friends and family and co-workers.

There's no "pretending" involved.
Yes, there is. You "go along to get along" -- one atheist admits he pretends to pray on Thanksgiving. You celebrate Christmas, but secretly despise Christ. But you keep it to yourself, you don't want Mom and Dad to get upset, or any of your other relatives.
Heaven forbid an atheist respect religious and love his religious family.

Forum List

Back