Shooting in VA park, Steve scalise shot

Discussion in 'Congress' started by novasteve, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +36,709
    Or perhaps their editors passing over such stories in favor of what sells. Emotion after all is what sells --- some nut goes on a shooting rampage = gold mine. When that subsides you re-run endless witness accounts to milk some more. Then you trot in the conspiracy theorists to stir fear and loathing.

The more analytical questions of circumstantial background are not nearly so sexy. They don't sell enough papers. Well we can't have that when there's money to be milked from emotion, so "let's take you to San Francisco because -- yay -- we have another shooting we can milk". Lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum.

Such are the wages of news-for-profit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,709
    That passage has nothing to do with "self-aggrandizement". Has nothing even to do with 'self'. It refers to the wildly popular (read: cancerous) logical fallacy, exactly as it says. It's been rampant on this issue, as it usually is whenever said wags smell an opportunity to 'score' said 'points'. That's --- uh -- exactly why it's introduced with that specific fallacy in the intro you didn't put in boldface.

3. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,628
    Allow me to emphasize more for your lack of introspection:

"vast majority of the puerile adolescent rhetoric on this board"

"their simplistic tiny little minds can spit onto their piddling wasted lives"

^ Apparently Pogo thinks he's better than the "vast majority" no?

Right here, Pogo. :finger3:

You're just another brick in the wall.

You may be sharp as a brick.

4. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,585
    "Stands?" It stands about as well as one legged man in an ass kicking contest. What have you written in the course of this conversation?
    Do you not recall the following dialogue?
    How earnestly can you be data mining the guy when you (1) think that doing so in part calls for reviewing one's Facebook pages and other information and (2) don't even maintain a Facebook account so you can view it for yourself? (I don't "Facebook" either, but I'm taking your implied word for it that one must do so in order to view the Facebook pages of people who do.)

Also, data mining is all about performing a detailed gathering and analysis of data and information.
    • You don't so much as pay attention to the squiggles that indicate you've misspelled something. Why would anyone believe that you pay close attention to interrelationships one might find among the disparate information gathered during data mining?
    • You appear to have no awareness of which of your inferences are sound and which are not. Data one mines is of no value when the person analyzing it isn't highly logical and circumspect about the inferences they made based on the data they mine.

Click the link in the following sentence for an example of your eristicality. "You presented a bunch of unrelated generalizations in support of the very specific claim (made by another member) that Hodgkinson "was afraid he was going to lose his Medicare." (Logical flaw: non sequitur)" The problem isn't that you say/think controversial things; the problem is the controversial things you conjure and utter are unfounded.
    • You don't bother to check the veracity of the details of your own claims.
      I didn't "[get] you on the tenure." You "got" you by irrationally inferring that the man is a tenured professor and then not doing one of the following:
      • Confirming the soundness of your inference by checking to see if the man is tenured.
      • Limiting what you thought/wrote to that which was stated in the article you referenced or inferable validly, via sound deductive reasoning.
    Thus, even were you indeed attempting even to data mine the guy, you wouldn't be doing a fair, let alone good, job of it. Indeed, your efforts would be so poor as to not merit calling them "data mining."

Now you introduced the term "data mining" and attested to doing it. (Click the link in the preceding sentence to learn what data mining actually entails.) Truly, you could have, in response to my question of whether you are data mining him, simply said something to the effect of "No. I'm not data mining him; I used that term too loosely. I merely want to see what's on his Facebook page, and I am unwilling to join Facebook so I can see it directly for myself."

Something along those lines is what I expected you to write in response to my question, but you wrote nothing of the sort. I expected that because data mining is something my firm does for clients; thus I know few people have the resources and skills to do even a halfway decent job of it on their own. But I don't know you, so I asked rather than assume you are not among that few. From your subsequent remarks, I can tell for sure that you are not among the few. You could have "owned" the fact that is the case, but you did not.
    Someone may have, but Mark Zuckerberg almost certainly did not.

Here again, your lack of attention to detail and disregard for accuracy shows. How hard could it have been to write "Facebook" or "Facebook personnel" rather than "Zuckerberg?"

Okay, but I didn't "get" you that. You "got" yourself. (See red italics above.)

I'm not here to "get" anyone. I merely am a careful reader of what people write; thus when folks write things that don't line up with what I know or suspect is so, I double check -- their cited facts as well as the rigor of their reasoning -- to be sure of whether it is I or they who is mistaken. If the mistake is material, or they've made a big deal about them, I express my objection to the conclusions/inferences they have made based on their errant facts/reasoning. I don't generally argy-bargy with folks who "own" their mistakes. Everyone makes them, so there's no point in my doing so.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. Marion Morrison

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,628
    So do tell us again why you aren't out there doing it, getting busy?

6. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,709
    Because I have principles, a primary one of which is that truth is far more important than profit.

7. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,709
    >> The game will go on because the game must go on, and it has never been more important for it to be played than it is tonight.

That has been the overwhelming bipartisan conclusion of the American lawmakers who will take the diamond for Thursday night's annual Congressional Baseball Game at Nationals Park, especially in the wake of the tragedy that shook Washington on Wednesday morning.

.... That afternoon, leaders of Congress held a tearful private briefing, and when it was announced that the game would go on for the 108th consecutive year as planned, the lawmakers rose in unison and applauded, according to various reports.

"All of us are really shaken by this," Rep. Jan Schakowsky, a Democrat from Illinois, told the Chicago Tribune while leaving the meeting. "There was an incredible tone of unity. And all of us need to take the responsibility for the tone and for the fact that we are one in terms of our love for our country and our vulnerability.

"And we need to stand together as Democrats and Republicans."

Tonight, they will do that at the game, which has been played at the ballpark of the hometown Nationals for the past nine years and attracted an estimated crowd of 10,000 last year. This time, in a tribute to Scalise, an alumnus of Louisiana State University, members of both Congressional teams are planning to wear some form of LSU's purple and gold.

The tribute was reportedly organized by Rep. Roger Marshall (Kansas), and LSU athletic director Joe Alleva told NOLA.com that the school has sent hats, towels, shirts and hats to the Congressmen to wear on Thursday. LSU recently qualified for the College World Series and is set to face Florida State on Saturday night.

"Scalise was always decked out head-to-toe in LSU gear," Marshall's spokesman, Eric Pahls, told the Independent Journal Review. "This is time for all of us to show that we stand with him." --- MLB
    --- Sounds like a worthy idea to me.

[​IMG]
    >> "We're united not as Republicans and Democrats but as United States representatives," Barton said Wednesday. "It will be 'play ball' tomorrow night, 7:05."<<​

--- there it is right there. United we stand. Play ball.

8. Marion Morrison

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,628

[​IMG]

So, couldn't get hired, huh?

9. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,709

So I never wished to be hired for a dishonest occupation.

As I've often noted in my chosen profession of radio I've done announcing, producing, engineering, operations, management --- everything except "ad sales". Because that's a bullshit occupation.

As I said --- I have principles.

10. basquebromance

basquebromance Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,930
    Mark Sanford (remember Mrs Argentina?) says Trump partially to blame for shooting.

That's just stupid.