Shoot or not shoot?

Would you shoot this person or not shoot this person?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you're going to get her a pistol, this might be the killer choice.......... it's the Judge by Taurus, fires .45 and .410.

I read up on that Taurus...reliability is an issue. A lot of guys have had problems with this gun at the range after a few shots. A lot. Besides, I would rather the pistol be hammer less.

Last edited:
A 20 gauge shotgun would be the best thing for her as far as home defense. Like I said before, the sound of the slide is one of the most distinctive and scary sounds in the world, it may get rid of the perp without firing a shot which would obviously be the best outcome. 20 gauge is plenty deadly enough but doesn't have the kick of the 12, easier to handle in a home, especially with the pistol grip and short barrel.

as others have said, I would shout out to drop his knife, the spouse should have already called 911 about the break in so cops are on their way...if he does not drop the knife and you have to hit him in the leg with your gun, then do such to stop him. If he is lunging at you to harm you, shoot to kill.

Care

On the stairs in the dark you are going to miss and he is going to close with you. Further if he is alive when the cops get there and you shot him, you are going to get sued as he makes all kind of lying statements about what happened with some slick lawyer costing you thousands even if you win.

NEVER shoot someone to wound. Always shoot center mass to increase the chances of a hit and never stop shooting until the target is down and unable to approach you.

A 20 gauge shotgun would be the best thing for her as far as home defense. Like I said before, the sound of the slide is one of the most distinctive and scary sounds in the world, it may get rid of the perp without firing a shot which would obviously be the best outcome. 20 gauge is plenty deadly enough but doesn't have the kick of the 12, easier to handle in a home, especially with the pistol grip and short barrel.

I have a 20 gauge but I dont really know the rules on getting a pistol grip on it here in Arizona. Will look it up, but if its legal, I dont have a problem putting a pistol grip on it.

as others have said, I would shout out to drop his knife, the spouse should have already called 911 about the break in so cops are on their way...if he does not drop the knife and you have to hit him in the leg with your gun, then do such to stop him. If he is lunging at you to harm you, shoot to kill.

Care

On the stairs in the dark you are going to miss and he is going to close with you. Further if he is alive when the cops get there and you shot him, you are going to get sued as he makes all kind of lying statements about what happened with some slick lawyer costing you thousands even if you win.

NEVER shoot someone to wound. Always shoot center mass to increase the chances of a hit and never stop shooting until the target is down and unable to approach you.
Shoot or not shoot?
Here's the scenero. It's 11:30 pm. You are sleeping in your bed and hear somebody break into your house by forcing the front door. You have a pistol in your nightstand and you take it out of the drawer and make sure it is loaded. You get out of your bed, turn on your bedroom light and step out into the hallway. As you do, you notice a person climbing your stairway and the person has a knife in their hand. Would you shoot this person or not shoot this person?

I would shoot this person.
well, my master bedroom suite is on the first floor, if i went in to the hall and saw that this guy was climbing my stairway, he was heading AWAY from me, NOT towards me!!! to kill him would be to shoot him in the back?

Care

Shoot or not shoot?
Here's the scenero. It's 11:30 pm. You are sleeping in your bed and hear somebody break into your house by forcing the front door. You have a pistol in your nightstand and you take it out of the drawer and make sure it is loaded. You get out of your bed, turn on your bedroom light and step out into the hallway. As you do, you notice a person climbing your stairway and the person has a knife in their hand. Would you shoot this person or not shoot this person?

well, my master bedroom suite is on the first floor, if i went in to the hall and saw that this guy was climbing my stairway, he was heading AWAY from me, NOT towards me!!! to kill him would be to shoot him in the back?
Pffft.

Just admit you would never use a gun in self defense, will ya? There's no shame in it. But cherry-picking and changing the context of the scenario, beating around the bush for post after post, just sort of knocks the pretty off your smile.

how much light is in the hallway? can the knife be clearly seen? can i clearly see the intruders face? if i feel my life is in danger i would shoot but i would want to be very sure the shooting is necessary, wouldnt want to kill the neighbor kid who foolishly jimmied his way into my place with a knife hoping for an easy score.

Shoot or not shoot?

Pffft.

Just admit you would never use a gun in self defense, will ya? There's no shame in it. But cherry-picking and changing the context of the scenario, beating around the bush for post after post, just sort of knocks the pretty off your smile.

i never thought the guy was coming up the stairs AT ME....black dog NEVER said that in his example, as I showed you....I thought he was climbing the stairs in the hallway?

And I am certain I would use a gun if I had a gun IF I WAS ABSOLUTELY in fear of the perp taking my life, if i was not in fear of him taking my life, I would NOT just shoot to kill him...and you shouldn't either....imo.

Care

Pffft.

i never thought the guy was coming up the stairs AT ME....black dog NEVER said that in his example, as I showed you....I thought he was climbing the stairs in the hallway?
If he's going up the stairs away from you, that's when you yell "HEY" then shoot him when he turns around!:badgrin:
And I am certain I would use a gun if I had a gun IF I WAS ABSOLUTELY in fear of the perp taking my life, if i was not in fear of him taking my life, I would NOT just shoot to kill him...and you shouldn't either....imo.

Care
When you get the gun, get the formal training.

You will then learn not to hesitate long enough to find out if the intruder intends taking your life. You'll learn that he might have a bud or buddies coming in behind him. You'll learn it's really not a touchy-feeley thing.

If I am awakened by the sounds of someone who has broken into my home, and he's entered the house, that someone is going to get shot pure and simple. I do not care what he's there for, I don't care what his intention is. We can surmise all of that when the police arrive to collect the dead perp.

Pffft.

If he's going up the stairs away from you, that's when you yell "HEY" then shoot him when he turns around!:badgrin:

:lol::lol::lol: Oh my God! :lol::lol::lol:

You shoot. To kill. Immediately.

IF there is NO question at all it's a knife.

But, to be fair I have heard this story, the dude in question shot his son.

I would of course make sure it was not my son, besides why would my son be busting down the front door with a knife in his hand? He would not
In the tragic story, the son was an adult and had been away awhile, and he was holding the screwdriver he'd used to jimmy the door. And was blown away. The dad thought it was a knife.

How do you NOT recognize your own son???????? Yes, even in the dark, you can recog your own child.

I would of course make sure it was not my son, besides why would my son be busting down the front door with a knife in his hand? He would not
In the tragic story, the son was an adult and had been away awhile, and he was holding the screwdriver he'd used to jimmy the door. And was blown away. The dad thought it was a knife.

How do you NOT recognize your own son???????? Yes, even in the dark, you can recog your own child.

Well, obviously he didn't recognize him or that he was holding a screw driver vs a knife...or he would not have killed him.

And THIS IS WHY you don't shoot to kill on a whim.....

Well, obviously he didn't recognize him or that he was holding a screw driver vs a knife...or he would not have killed him.

It wasn't a whim and until an actual link is provided I will assume it never happened. Better not buy a gun Care cause you are one of those idiots that will simply provide the murder weapon to your killer.

It wasn't a whim and until an actual link is provided I will assume it never happened. Better not buy a gun Care cause you are one of those idiots that will simply provide the murder weapon to your killer.

I am not worried about crime here, my state ranks 49th out of the 50 states on crime and what crime does take place is usually in the bigger cities like Portland, and I am in the middle of nowhere.

My interest in getting a gun or shotgun, are to protect my cats from bears or coyotes or wolves! :eek:

Care

No one ever does that. You're still assuming way too much.

My interest in getting a gun or shotgun, are to protect my cats from bears or coyotes or wolves!
You're really going to shoot at animals, outside? Have you any idea how far a slug can travel downrange? This is why it's illegal to discharge a firearm outdoors in most cities.

I would never shoot a bear, a coyote or a wolf. If you want to protect your cats keep them in the house. The law says you gotta do that, too, in most cities.

If you live out in the County, these may or may not apply depending on local laws of course.

i would not shoot till i idedntified my target....

sgt has given the best advice on here...shot to kill...aim for the chest...best gun for a woman....sawed off shotgun loaded with dble 00....yea its illegal but you can hit anything in front of you...and the sound of loading it will change most peoples minds.

Unknown?

As in you cannot identify the person or you don't know the person?

Big difference.

No one ever does that. You're still assuming way too much.

My interest in getting a gun or shotgun, are to protect my cats from bears or coyotes or wolves!
You're really going to shoot at animals, outside? Have you any idea how far a slug can travel downrange? This is why it's illegal to discharge a firearm outdoors in most cities.

I would never shoot a bear, a coyote or a wolf. If you want to protect your cats keep them in the house. The law says you gotta do that, too, in most cities.

If you live out in the County, these may or may not apply depending on local laws of course.

i live in rural maine....there are no restrictions on shooting coyote or skunks or other nuisances that i know of, other than wild turkey, if they are a nuisance, you have to call fish and wildlife, to come and reposition them, farther in to the wild cuz they are STILL on the endangered species thingy for maine, (the Lord only, knows why...these suckers are everywhere!)....my neighbor offered to kill the skunk that is hanging around my bird feeders, i declined the offer of course! And also offered to kill any coyote of which he warned me he saw a pack of them in the meadow across the way from the both of us? So i am presuming these things are A-ok where we are?

on weekends, sometimes... i hear my neighbor and his 2 young adult boys shooting on his property, target practice i presume? or killing rabbits eating their garden?:confused: though the consistency of it, seemed more like target practice!

no, hadn't planned on killing the animal either, just hopefully scaring it away....not certain if that would even work....i just would feel terrible if i had to idly sit by while viewing a coyote tear one of my cats apart. :(

care

Forum List

Back