Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

Not every handgun has an external safety. Most of mine don't.
My revolvers don't, but from uncocked, a lot of tension is needed to cock and fire. A revolver left cocked in a purse???? A dumb move, but modern revolvers need the trigger to be pulled to go off. You could pound nails with my S&W 629 cocked but the trigger pull is about 8oz.
My auto is hammerless and clocks when a round is chambered. It has a safety which I use when the gun is holstered. The trigger pull is quite long. Even with the safety off, the likelyhood of a snag causing discharge is minuscule.

I own just one revolver, it belonged to my grandfather a .45 Colt.

Trigger pull varies model to model, some factory pulls are ten to twelve pounds, some as low as 3.5 pounds.

Most handguns go through rigorous drop test and the likelihood of a dropped firearm discharging is slim. One thing I instruct everyone on is if you drop a gun or have a gun fall, let it drop/fall, Do NOT try to catch it.

Seems we are on the about the same page.

Why, has there been a rash of purse shootings?
I think the solution is obvious; Common Sense Purse Legislation.

Isnt a purse typically considered a bad way to carry?

I believe you should keep your firearm on you, not a purse. Purses are often stolen.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/us/walmart-shooting-by-2-year-old.html?_r=0&referrer=
Don't even think about stealing my wife's purse. You'll end up with 5 .38's and 11 .40's in you.

Why, has there been a rash of purse shootings?
I think the solution is obvious; Common Sense Purse Legislation.

Isnt a purse typically considered a bad way to carry?

I believe you should keep your firearm on you, not a purse. Purses are often stolen.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/us/walmart-shooting-by-2-year-old.html?_r=0&referrer=
Don't even think about stealing my wife's purse. You'll end up with 5 .38's and 11 .40's in you.

She feels the need to carry two? Where the heck you living?

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.
Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
I find the whole story implausible.
Tell that to my dead uncle, a Cleveland county sheriff that had been working on a two shot derringer and put it in his shirt pocket, he dropped something and bent over to pick it up and the derringer fell out of his pocket, fired when it hit the ground and shot him between the eyes..

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.
Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
Tell that to my dead uncle, a Cleveland county sheriff that had been working on a two shot derringer and put it in his shirt pocket, he dropped something and bent over to pick it up and the derringer fell out of his pocket, fired when it hit the ground and shot him between the eyes..

Why would he have a cocked derringer in his pocket?

Was he working on the fucked up trigger?
And who the hell works on a loaded gun?

Not every handgun has an external safety. Most of mine don't.
My revolvers don't, but from uncocked, a lot of tension is needed to cock and fire. A revolver left cocked in a purse???? A dumb move, but modern revolvers need the trigger to be pulled to go off. You could pound nails with my S&W 629 cocked but the trigger pull is about 8oz.
My auto is hammerless and clocks when a round is chambered. It has a safety which I use when the gun is holstered. The trigger pull is quite long. Even with the safety off, the likelyhood of a snag causing discharge is minuscule.

I own just one revolver, it belonged to my grandfather a .45 Colt.

Trigger pull varies model to model, some factory pulls are ten to twelve pounds, some as low as 3.5 pounds.

Most handguns go through rigorous drop test and the likelihood of a dropped firearm discharging is slim. One thing I instruct everyone on is if you drop a gun or have a gun fall, let it drop/fall, Do NOT try to catch it.

Seems we are on the about the same page.
Modern revolvers have a hammer block that only retracts when the trigger is depressed.
True, 3.5 pounds is about the lightest trigger pull you'll find off the shelf, but most revolvers have and adjustment so you can set the trigger to your preference. You CAN adjust a S&W past where it will remain cocked, but even if the hammer falls, the trigger needs to be depressed to retract the hammer block and allow the firing pin to strike the primer.
99.9% of "accidental discharges" are gross negligence or intentional shootings with no witnesses.

I wouldn't, my Papa shot off the end of his finger as a lad proving the rifle wasn't loaded by sticking his finger in the barrel and pulling the trigger...

I wouldn't, my Papa shot off the end of his finger as a lad proving the rifle wasn't loaded by sticking his finger in the barrel and pulling the trigger...

You dont have any guns do you? They dont seem to mix well with your family.

Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

Sounds like stupidity runs in your family.

Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

Stupid is hereditary.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.

Stupid is hereditary.

I actually hit a milk jug at 10 yards with my partner's, but no, not much good for distance. But you got to figure, in my business, my target is going to be right up close. The asshat I drew down on a couple weeks ago was 5 feet away when he saw my .40 aimed at his sternum.

Forum List

Back