Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.
Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
I find the whole story implausible.

Ever watch the Mythbusters? This season they placed a semi-auto handgun with a chambered round in oil in a deep fryer - at around 360 degrees it fired. Not related to your post in anyway, but something you might find interesting,

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round before you're fixing to bust some caps.

Condition 2 is my favorite.

Why carry a gun that's not loaded to it's full capacity?

I advise people to always carry with a round in the chamber.

Which is condition 2.
One in the chamber with the hammer down,with a double action pistol your just a trigger pull away from being fully charged.

Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
Tell that to my dead uncle, a Cleveland county sheriff that had been working on a two shot derringer and put it in his shirt pocket, he dropped something and bent over to pick it up and the derringer fell out of his pocket, fired when it hit the ground and shot him between the eyes..

Why would he have a cocked derringer in his pocket?
Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.
A buddy of mine carries a 32 you can hide in the palm of your hand. It ain't big, but 6 or 7 rounds.......

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.

Ever watch the Mythbusters? This season they placed a semi-auto handgun with a chambered round in oil in a deep fryer - at around 360 degrees it fired. Not related to your post in anyway, but something you might find interesting,

Why exactly were they frying a gun?

Tell that to my dead uncle, a Cleveland county sheriff that had been working on a two shot derringer and put it in his shirt pocket, he dropped something and bent over to pick it up and the derringer fell out of his pocket, fired when it hit the ground and shot him between the eyes..

Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.

I carry a Springfield XDS .45 with extended mag. with R.I.P. rounds. Deadly accurate!

Had a loaded 1911 Colt go off on me in a house fire years ago. Replaced the grips, cleaned it up and carried it for years.

Not very likely that it was 360 degrees in this woman's purse, donchathink?

Stupid is hereditary.

I carry a Springfield XDS .45 with extended mag. with R.I.P. rounds. Deadly accurate!
I'm a little guy. A 45 is tough for me to hide without a jacket, though I used to carry a 44 with a 6" barrel.

Stupid is hereditary.

A buddy of mine carries a 32 you can hide in the palm of your hand. It ain't big, but 6 or 7 rounds.......

I got a Ruger LCP...it's a tiny little bastard but you can hit 6 in. steel easily from
50 feet.
upload_2015-7-28_11-46-0.png

Why exactly were they frying a gun?

You might want to watch the show, it's really clever. To answer your question, in a movie a bad guy tossed his gun in a deep fryer as he was running form the law.

I didn't see the movie, but the myth was either the gun fired or it did not. I assume it did because when they place the gun into the deep fryer it did go off and they round the myth to be plausible.

Had a loaded 1911 Colt go off on me in a house fire years ago. Replaced the grips, cleaned it up and carried it for years.
The Colt 1911 is a fine defensive weapon -- but it is notorious for accidental discharges in untrained hands.

I believe at least ninety percent of the accidents described in this thread, and those which will occur in the future, would have been avoided with some effective training.

Stupid is hereditary.

Only time you can carry this one is in the winter if you want to keep it concealed.

The Colt 1911 is a fine defensive weapon -- but it is notorious for accidental discharges in untrained hands.

I believe at least ninety percent of the accidents described in this thread, and those which will occur in the future, would have been avoided with some effective training.
99%

Not very likely that it was 360 degrees in this woman's purse, donchathink?

Depends on how hot she was!?? I posted the comment based on your use of the word implausible, the term the mythbusters use when they bust a myth.

Stupid is hereditary.

Only time you can carry this one is in the winter if you want to keep it concealed.
'Bama is an open carry state. I am considering a pair of Colt 1873's with a cross draw rig.
I do call my bar Doc Holliday's.

Stupid is hereditary.

upload_2015-7-28_11-56-6.png

Stupid is hereditary.

'Bama is an open carry state. I am considering a pair of Colt 1873's with a cross draw rig.
I do call my bar Doc Holliday's.

That'd be some funny shit right there!!

Forum List

Back