Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

Simply not true.

Absolutely is true, Shortbus. California ONLY allows force necessary to stop an assault. The father would be put in prison for manslaughter.

This is a victims right state, you have the right to be a victim - you have no other right.

Since when did the State of California eliminate the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers? :cuckoo:

Don't let the whackaloons on here fool you, this guy would be acquitted in any of the 50 states, if it even went to trial.

Since when did the State of California eliminate the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers? :cuckoo:

So you're suggesting that jury nullification would be the means of actual justice? Seriously? We should depend on juries to nullify law as the means of actual justice?

Don't let the whackaloons on here fool you, this guy would be acquitted in any of the 50 states, if it even went to trial.

California LAW would prosecute the father for using deadly force. Under our law, he could be convicted. A jury may well refuse to follow such a law, but they might not.

Simply not true.

Absolutely is true, Shortbus. California ONLY allows force necessary to stop an assault. The father would be put in prison for manslaughter.

This is a victims right state, you have the right to be a victim - you have no other right.

California's stand your ground doctrine is broader than the one every is whinging about in Florida. The major difference is that it developed through court rulings and precedents.

The case should be investigated and if the prosecutor feels there is evidence worthy of seeking indictment, by all means, convene a Grand Jury.
If what we know now is confirmed by the investigation, no crime was committed and convening a GJ to seek indictment is foolish and a violation of this father's rights.
The guilty party has been punished here, Bones. Do not try to shift blame for his death to a man who's greatest duty in life was protecting his family.

Surely that's the task of the Grand Jury - to determine if there is a case to answer.
Relying on news reports is not the way to judge.
As I said earlier, if the report, as written is true then I have every sympathy with the guy and I hope they let him walk.
NO!!!! It's the task of the law enforcement agency and the district attorney's office to determine if there is enough evidence to warrant a Grand Jury.
IF further investigation confirms the facts as reported, no crime has been committed and convening a grand jury is stupid.
Why would a prosecutor waste time and money on a case he knows has no merit?
This man died as a direct result of his own actions. No one but he is responsible for his death and this poor girl's father should be praised, not dragged through the courts to satisfy your need to excuse the actions of a child rapist who got exactly what he deserved.
Yours is a typical Liberal response. You see criminals as victims of society and seek to blame their crimes on poverty, environment, prior abuse; anything but their own decisions.
Sure you can draw parallels. Poor people commit more crimes. People brought up in ghettos commit more crimes. Victims of child abuse commit more crimes, but the majority of these people do not rape little girls.
People commit crimes, not because Republicans and mean old society in general failed them. They commit crimes because they failed society.

Far be it from me to pull you off the high horse that you look so comfortable on but you've drawn a lot of conclusions about me there.
I admit to ignorance about the legal system in the US but I would have thought that a killing would automatically go to a GJ.

In this case it has and he was released with no indictment.
Good job I say and f**k the kiddie rapist.

If the story is what it purports to be in the OP, the only question is this: did the father act to a reasonable man standard? The answer is unequivocally 'yes'. The assailant's death is unfortunate but not nearly as if he had been able to complete his act.

My own reaction if I had been the Dad: I would have killed the assailant and trusted my jury to null any attempt to convict me.

o look ernie...the grand jury .....

again the man should have to account for his actions in a court of law.....

for some reason this idea seems foreign to a lot of posters on here....
I agree.

Personally, I hope this man never has any guilty conviction based on these actions. I totally understand them.

But, what I believe the legal question is, was it necessary to continue beating him to the point of death to prevent the rape.

Yeah, I guess I'm a lib, too. :eek:

Personally, I think he should have a medal pinned on his chest and a yearly parade in his honor, but the fact that we are a nation (and states) of law is pretty important, too.

*puts on flack jacket and body armor*

Their will be no charges. The grand jury came back. From reading watching and listening, it does not sound like a long drawn out beating. Ill get you some articles if you want them, but it sounds like it was fast and clumsily. Reading this stuff, hearing the 911 call, and all that it really sounds like the guy killed him on accident .

Oh, does Texas have stand your ground laws? I think so - not sure.

So, this guy would have been better off shooting the bastard.

Yes, and just like in Florida, they are greatly misunderstood.

Texas Man Guilty of Murder in Stand Your Ground Trial | Lawyers.com Blog

Rodriguez’s lawyers argued that he was acting in self defense and had the right to shoot Danaher under Texas’ 2007 expanded Castle Doctrine law, which eliminates the requirement to retreat before defending oneself. However, jurors sided with the prosecution, which pointed out that Rodriguez initiated the confrontation by marching over toward his neighbor’s house, and escalated it by pulling a gun and shooting the unarmed men.

“It should be noted that Mr. Rodriguez had a license to carry the weapon and clearly thought there was some chance he might have to use it before the confrontation took place, so he wanted to be sure to videotape the confrontation, and was also consciously invoking self-defense as the confrontation transpired,” notes Mick Mickelsen, a criminal defense attorney in Dallas.

This is Texas with a Grand Jury composed of Texans. There was no way this father was going to be charged with a crime. The Sheriff knew that instantly. His first statement was that this would go to a Texas district attorney, be referred to a Texas Grand Jury and Texans would make the decision. He knew that the father would never be charged with a crime, hence his emphasis on the word Texas.

o look ernie...the grand jury .....

again the man should have to account for his actions in a court of law.....

for some reason this idea seems foreign to a lot of posters on here....
I agree.

Personally, I hope this man never has any guilty conviction based on these actions. I totally understand them.

But, what I believe the legal question is, was it necessary to continue beating him to the point of death to prevent the rape.

Yeah, I guess I'm a lib, too. :eek:

Personally, I think he should have a medal pinned on his chest and a yearly parade in his honor, but the fact that we are a nation (and states) of law is pretty important, too.

*puts on flack jacket and body armor*

Their will be no charges. The grand jury came back. From reading watching and listening, it does not sound like a long drawn out beating. Ill get you some articles if you want them, but it sounds like it was fast and clumsily. Reading this stuff, hearing the 911 call, and all that it really sounds like the guy killed him on accident .

Good for him.

But I still wouldn't convict him if he did it intentionally and of sound mind.

I haven't read this thread yet, but I predict that it will be:

1 Part Genuine Sympathy for the victim.
3 Part Conservative Bluster/Tough guyism
5 Parts Conservatives using this to claim we need to expand conceal and carry
8 Parts Conservatives Condemning Liberals for claiming the father did something wrong
-And-
0 Parts Liberals actually claiming the father did something wrong.

Good for this father. I hope he made that mother fucker suffer as he was beating his sorry ass to death. Good for Texas for refusing to indict a father for defending his daughter against a fucking monster.

8 Parts Conservatives Condemning Liberals for claiming the father did something wrong
-And-

Good for this father. I hope he made that mother fucker suffer as he was beating his sorry ass to death. Good for Texas for refusing to indict a father for defending his daughter against a fucking monster.

No gun was used, and the father was on his own property when he defended his daughter. As far as I can recall, you are the only one who even mentioned guns or concealed carry. I can point to at least two posters who said the father was wrong for killing the guy even taking into account he was defending his daughter. Most of the liberals on the board were just as adamant as the conservatives that the father was right, and they even said they would have done worst than the father actually did. I think that makes your post a total fail.

-And-

No gun was used, and the father was on his own property when he defended his daughter. As far as I can recall, you are the only one who even mentioned guns or concealed carry. I can point to at least two posters who said the father was wrong for killing the guy even taking into account he was defending his daughter. Most of the liberals on the board were just as adamant as the conservatives that the father was right, and they even said they would have done worst than the father actually did. I think that makes your post a total fail.

I know no guns were used, dipwad.

Your life is a fail.

Forum List

Back