Shakira enters Arizona immigration fight

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by Angelhair, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Grammy Award-winning singer Shakira has joined the growing chorus of opposition to Arizona's new immigration law.

Shakira met with leaders Thursday in Arizona Thursday before talking about the issue on CNN's "AC 360." She said some police and lawmakers in Arizona are worried about how the new law will be implemented.

"The mayor is very, very worried, as well as the chief of police here," Shakira said. "They're both very worried about the impact that implementation of this law will have on Latino families, the level of abuse that will be inflicted on Latinos, with or without papers."

The new measure requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Arizona Immigration
    Shakira
    The law, scheduled to go into effect 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times.

Supporters claim it is needed to control illegal immigration. Critics counter, saying it will create government-sanctioned racial profiling.

Shakira said she talked to women in Arizona who said they were scared about how the law would affect them.

"I just met with some families and women who have been subjected to domestic violence, and they are so concerned," the singer said. "They're going to live in fear to call the police or to report a crime that has been inflicted to them. They're trying to protect their kids and their own families from abusers. and now they're going to have to protect themselves from the government."

The Colombian singer said when she was in Arizona on Thursday, she thought about how the new law would affect her.

"If this law was already in effect today, for example, I could be detained and arrested and taken away because I don't even have my driver's license here. I 'm completely undocumented here," Shakira said.

Shakira enters Arizona immigration fight - CNN.com

My question: Who gives a crap about what Shakira thinks or says??? NOT ME!!

2. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,267
    She's obviously biased and not worth listening to.

She's not a citizen...she's not living on the border of Arizona subjected to the crime and violence that the ranchers are.

She's just a singer with no real knowledge of the issue other then she is an alien making a living here.

In effect just another rich asshole talking out of her ass.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    She should stick to cocksucking and putting out shitty repetitive music for her drones to listen to... and shut her yap when it comes to our legal situations

4. trams

trams Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100
    So Ricky Martin is speaking up about now.He just wants the law to protect gay illegal aliens. Joking aside If you dont live here I could care less what you think.

5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Who?

6. Reidlr

Reidlr Constitutionalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Who cares what Shakira has to say regarding immigration! This is like when I hear actors commenting on political issues. Their comments are normally uneducated and almost always biased.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,436
    unless, of course, its a right wing celebrity ... and then you run them for elective office. :thup:

whose comments, specifically, are uneducated? Ahhhhnold's? Bruce Willis'? Ronald Reagan's? Sonny Bono's (when he was alive)? Fred Grandy? :hmmmmmmmmmmmm:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  8. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,267
    Yes....we do that....I guess.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

I never told any celebrity to run for office!!! Last time I checked...they did it on their own.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,436
    she's actually a very accomplished woman and was a musical prodigy when she was a child.

disappointing when you can't contain the hyperbole and lash out at someone personally, in a way that is clearly misogynist, just because you disagree. totally unnecessary.

look at this link and let me know when you've accomplished in your life what she has.

Shakira - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    First of all it would help me a great deal to actually know who the singer is, I had to ask my daughter. Let me see, the mayor of Phoenix, well just so the singer is not mis-informed, Phoenix system of Govt, is not one where the mayor has much power and is more or less the same as any other member of the city council, even to the point where recently Mr. Gordon wanted to sue over the new law and the City council told him that he was not allowed to and if he were to proceed with such a suit that it would withdrawn by the city attorney. Further if the singer had even bothered to read the law and even actually read the executive order the Gov. signed she would have seen that the law and our Gov. expressly forbids any sort of racial profiling and those that engage in it will be punished for it. In fact if she had decided to actully take the time and read the news for herself rather than someone tell her what she should think and act like, she would have ntoiced that in SB-1070 there is even a provision that comes under Federal civil rights statutes. My question for the singer is this, why would someone with so much wealth not be concerned for the endorsed slavery that so many seem to be protecting rather than a law that seeks to enforce existing Federal Law?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1