Sgt Shamar Thomas, USMC

Well asshole, what I think is this. The cops deserve the exact same level of respect that the hysterical marine deserves. The cops put their asses on the line for America every day. Are there abusive cops? Yes. Are there abusive marines.. well, yes.. so a dead cop is just as dead as a dead marine and their families cry the same damn tears. I for one don't think most of you assholes in America deserve what cops do for you. EVERY DAY for 20 or 30 years.. so boo fucking hoo.

Wow, you just can't get away from the attacks...you're an expert on abuse.

Please don't try to compare serving overseas to being a cop in the US, it's not even close.

Actually that's crap. Cops, particularly in cities, may not be under the same stress as those who deploy to war zones, but they face the reality of dying on duty - protecting us - every day.

There is no one right or one wrong in this particular scenario. The cops were under significant pressure, and the Marine was absolutely within his rights to voice his disapproval of their 'behavior' from his perspective.

Personally, I find it quite pathetic that so many of us are prepared to side with one over the other. The NYPD have my support... so does the Marine. That's called being rational rather than emotional.

I support the officers that just do their job and don't use it as an excuse to get rough with someone they don't like for reasons other than those that involve the law. The majority are in the first category....the ones that aren't need to be called out on it. He's right and I know you agree, it's dishonorable, and not necessary.

There is still a reward on offer for anyone to provide actual proof. Each side believes what their political preference tells them to. There is no evidence that it happened. True story.

True story? Who offered the reward? How much is it? How do you collect it? How do you prove that you were there? How do you prove what you saw? Do you need some of the actual spit?

It was briefly mentioned before, but, to be clear (I've always wanted to say that), Mr. Thomas is a former Marine. He was discharged in 2007, so therefore, his 1A right to assemble, speak, and be American has been restored.

Battle Rattle - A Marine Corps Times Blog

Last edited:
He's not a 'scumbag', he's a Marine. Marines (and other branches) believe strongly in behaving honorably. I absolutely support his right to defend his fellow citizens - whether I agree with those citizens or not. I think he's exactly what a Marine should be... honorable.

He may be a Marine but not a smart one.
Military regs say you can't ID yourself as a Marine, Sailor, etc. - member of the Armed Forces - when you're protesting, as a civilian.
He's a Sgt., or was one - should have known better.

That seems to be a widely broken rule, I see it all the time.
You do?

Are you around the military that much?

I am several months out of the year. I have yet to see it.

He may be a Marine but not a smart one.
Military regs say you can't ID yourself as a Marine, Sailor, etc. - member of the Armed Forces - when you're protesting, as a civilian.
He's a Sgt., or was one - should have known better.

That seems to be a widely broken rule, I see it all the time.
You do?

Are you around the military that much?

I am several months out of the year. I have yet to see it.

I don't see it either. Whenever someone shows up at a protest or gay rights event in some sort of uniform, looking like the Village People, the left jumps all over it as "proof" that even the military believes in the cause.

There is still a reward on offer for anyone to provide actual proof. Each side believes what their political preference tells them to. There is no evidence that it happened. True story.

True story? Who offered the reward? How much is it? How do you collect it? How do you prove that you were there? How do you prove what you saw? Do you need some of the actual spit?

http://http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/apr/13/activist-offers-reward-for-proof-of-racial-slurs/

If all you disagree with is his methods, than that's you're right. I for one think it's exactly what needs to be done. Could you imagine what would have happened to that guy if he was just an average joe? He'd still be icing the lumps on his head.
Not so.

Because this fellow is a Marine or an ex-Marine (as I am) has no bearing on anything. What he did (berating the police) is not uncommon in protests. It's free speech. Those cops were simply standing by and waiting for a signal from their supervisory officers and if they got it they would have cracked his skull and locked him up.

I am on the side of the protest but what I've seen thus far tells me it is poorly organized. The way to confront the police is to form silent horizontal lines, sit down and lock arms, form another line behind that one doing the same, and another, and another. It takes three or four cops to pry two protesters apart and arrest one. Doing this day after day is very time consuming. It quickly erodes police resources and it elicits public sympathy for the protesters who appear to be bullied. Being arrested means a few hours in a lockup and is virtually harmless as an arrest record because it is readily explainable. (There are protesters who have been arrested dozens of times.)

Screaming hysterically at the cops is counterproductive. It depicts the police as passive and the protesters as provocative.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back