Serious?

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

Not an educator l, but I can share a story or two. Here at the district where I work the latest scandal had to do with “time out” rooms. They used these up into middle school. Really bad kids got put into these. There is a desk, a light, and padded walls. Typically the dest would end up sticking out of a wall after sshit had been smeared all over it. There was a class action law suit so now the doors have to come off all “time out” rooms and the teachers are not allowed to restrain these kids. That’s bull shit, especially since folks want teachers pay based on merit.

In the high schools kids can opener tell their teachers to fuck off and do about anything they want as long as they don’t strike the teacher. .....

No way

Not anywhere I have ever taught.

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

Not an educator l, but I can share a story or two. Here at the district where I work the latest scandal had to do with “time out” rooms. They used these up into middle school. Really bad kids got put into these. There is a desk, a light, and padded walls. Typically the dest would end up sticking out of a wall after sshit had been smeared all over it. There was a class action law suit so now the doors have to come off all “time out” rooms and the teachers are not allowed to restrain these kids. That’s bull shit, especially since folks want teachers pay based on merit.

In the high schools kids can opener tell their teachers to fuck off and do about anything they want as long as they don’t strike the teacher. .....

No way

Yup. If I were in high school at one of the schools in the district I work at I can be told by a teacher to put up my cell phone and do my work and respond with “go to hell slut” and other then send a note to the office they can do nothing.

No way

Yup. If I were in high school at one of the schools in the district I work at I can be told by a teacher to put up my cell phone and do my work and respond with “go to hell slut” and other then send a note to the office they can do nothing.

Does not sound true.

No way

Does not sound true.

Due to the fact that it’s mentioned on the internet, you would be incredibly stupid to buy it out the gate. If you can read all about it if you look. This type of thing isn’t just happening where I work. Harris county ISD has the same issues. Many districts do.

No way

Does not sound true.

Due to the fact that it’s mentioned on the internet, you would be incredibly stupid to buy it out the gate. If you can read all about it if you look. This type of thing isn’t just happening where I work. Harris county ISD has the same issues. Many districts do.

I’ve been teaching for 25 years, in some of the roughest districts in the country, and I’ve never seen a school just let shit like that slide with no more than a note.

No way

Does not sound true.

I’ve been teaching for 25 years, in some of the roughest districts in the country, and I’ve never seen a school just let shit like that slide with no more than a note.

Let me look at my pictures. I’ll try and post some up. I just can’t do any with the district name in them. Give me a few to see what I have..

No way

Does not sound true.

Let me look at my pictures. I’ll try and post some up. I just can’t do any with the district name in them. Give me a few to see what I have..

Pictures of what?

Okay, this wall is in one of the classrooms where they deal with challenging kids.

Does not sound true.

Pictures of what?

Damage. I am a maintenance guy, but I only fix damage. Typically, it’s the elementals school kids that are the worst. High school kids just cut school mostly. It’s the elementary school kids that really rip shit apart and the teachers can’t even remove them from class.

Oh, and bad neighborhoods and teaching in them means nothing. The district I work at is pretty well to do, and the district is run like it was in the 3rd ward or mexico .

Okay, this wall is in one of the classrooms where they deal with challenging kids.
Does not sound true.

Pictures of what?

Damage. I am a maintenance guy, but I only fix damage. Typically, it’s the elementals school kids that are the worst. High school kids just cut school mostly. It’s the elementary school kids that really rip shit apart and the teachers can’t even remove them from class.

Who told you they can’t be removed from class?

What percentage of teachers do you reckon favor left wing politics?

I'd guess ~60% from my experience. There's a clear majority of people leaning left politically, but still plenty of those on the right. universities/colleges are completely different.

Funny shit because a teacher at the dog park brought up this exact scenario last night. .....

Oh, the "dog park" again....yeah, right....
....You should be so lucky to have the life I have. ....

No doubt you sit on the floor all alone in the middle of a dark empty room chanting that to yourself every night.
I’m trying to send you a pic of my girl at the gun range but the file is too big. Boy are guys super friendly and helpful when she’s around. One guy was like here try my gun.

Funny shit because a teacher at the dog park brought up this exact scenario last night. .....

Oh, the "dog park" again....yeah, right....
....You should be so lucky to have the life I have. ....

No doubt you sit on the floor all alone in the middle of a dark empty room chanting that to yourself every night.
I’m trying to send you a pic of my girl ....

Yeah, cause that’s just what an adult would do...

You’re trying too hard, closet case.

As graduation approaches, it’s rewarding to see young people who were so lost and nervous four years ago stepping out confidently into a new phase of their lives. Very proud of them.

What percentage of teachers do you reckon favor left wing politics?

I don't think Unk does. He may be a strange bird, though.

He's a staunch individualist as far as I can tell. Which is fine I suppose but moderation in all things is my motto. Radical individualism is little more than self centered apathy, IMO

Right on the first part, but I call foul on the last. I don't think you do what I do if you are ruled by self centered apathy.

!

At this time of year, a lot of students are taking standardized test’s. In many states and districts there are tests that are required mints for graduation. A lot of people complain that preparing for and taking these tests eats up a lot of the school year, and it is true that it does disrupt the academic year and require a great deal of time. However, it is also true in my experience that schools and students take such test seriously and put forth a great deal of effort in order to pass them. A lot of students get extra help after school and on weekends from teachers like myself who are willing to donate their time in many many of my colleagues who do the same. So, there is an educational and motivational benefit to these tests while at the same time they do take up a lot of the oxygen in the room.

Just today a number of students came up to me very excited about having taken one of such tests for the second time and feeling confident that they had passed at this time. That sense of accomplishment in a young person who’s been working hard at something is worth the price of admission.

Dropping off my oldest son at school just now I’m wondering if it might be beneficial for American education in general for all students to go to school at least 6 days a week.

Genie's already out of that bottle. Can't be undone because it'll be considered oppressive to either Christian-Americans or Jewish-Americans, considering one's sabbath is on Sunday, the other on Saturday. But, dude, I would LOVE half-days on Saturday. Half the day, students get an education, the other half is for staff coordination and paperwork. That could actually make it so that teachers don't have to stay late everyday, or bring home their work every night. Still, an impossible dream due to religious conflictions.

But then, truancy would be through the roof also, because you'd get shitty parents refusing to send their kids (as if that doesn't happen enough already).

Forum List

Back