Serious?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

What percentage of teachers do you reckon favor left wing politics?

I don't think Unk does. He may be a strange bird, though.

He's a staunch individualist as far as I can tell. Which is fine I suppose but moderation in all things is my motto. Radical individualism is little more than self centered apathy, IMO

Right on the first part, but I call foul on the last. I don't think you do what I do if you are ruled by self centered apathy.

But then again, who cares? I do! No, I don't! Really? I don't know!

Anyone interested in a serious discussion about education? Any non-educators have any questions about what really goes on in the classroom instead of stereotypes and assumptions? Any educators want to share stories from the front lines? Anything?

Hayti HS in Hayti Missouri had a great season last season; 15-0. Being the district powerhouse, they played mainly home games (6 road games out of 15). Still, they racked up about 1,500 miles of travel on district school buses.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

This doesn't count the travel of the band, the housing (if any), meals, etc...

All for nothing.

And keep in mind that this is just one team out of literally dozens playing one sport (11 man football).
That 1,500 miles traveled could be easily duplicated for teams playing:

Sports
Factor in a few dozen teams for every sport, give them 1,000 miles of traveling and you can see the incredible expense at stake.

This doesn't count the utilities to run the stadiums, paying the coaches, officials, groundskeepers, etc...
This doesn't count the time taken away from what school is supposed to be about (education exploits), etc...
This doesn't count the costs of purchasing equipment, uniforms, insurance, etc....

Somehow the word "waste" doesn't begin to address the wrongheaded expenditures that are being made in high school athletics.

You asked for a question...mine would be this: How can this remotely be justified?

Hayti HS in Hayti Missouri had a great season last season; 15-0. Being the district powerhouse, they played mainly home games (6 road games out of 15). Still, they racked up about 1,500 miles of travel on district school buses.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

And keep in mind that this is just one team out of literally dozens playing one sport (11 man football).

Sports
Factor in a few dozen teams for every sport, give them 1,000 miles of traveling and you can see the incredible expense at stake.

This doesn't count the utilities to run the stadiums, paying the coaches, officials, groundskeepers, etc...
This doesn't count the time taken away from what school is supposed to be about (education exploits), etc...
This doesn't count the costs of purchasing equipment, uniforms, insurance, etc....

Somehow the word "waste" doesn't begin to address the wrongheaded expenditures that are being made in high school athletics.

You asked for a question...mine would be this: How can this remotely be justified?

What exactly is it you feel needs to be justified? Education?

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

Sports

What exactly is it you feel needs to be justified? Education?

The justification of spending money to transport about 200-300 teams (the number of high schools) 1,000 miles (about the amount of travel each team makes in a season--the example above showed the travel to be substantially more but not every team makes the playoffs I guess) each in between 5-15 different sports (15 sports are listed in the MSHSAA website Missouri State High School Activities Association but I'm assuming not every school has a lacrosse team for example so I gave it a range of 5-15 sports) . for absolutely no good reason other than to have them play a meaningless game against someone from a different school. This is exclusive of the costs of coaches, trainers, facilities, equipment, insurance, housing, etc... It also doesn't count the other pointless activities that are done in the name of education from the MSHSAA website:

Activities

“No good reason,” and “meaningless” prove your bias and doubtless ignorance about the topic.

File under: “education”

To be honest, most of the educators I have taught with are what I would call "soft liberals" or "garden-variety liberals". They don't have the time or energy to devote much to politics and are not much interested in it, and are extremely soft-hearted, so are easy prey for the "talking points". So, the default position is liberal. However (and this is a big however), they tend to live very "conservative" lives: they are largely married with children, live in the suburbs and--if I dare say it--are conventionally "American". I don't mean that in any racial or religious way. I just mean that in minivan, mortgage, dog, kids. They are NOT far Left. They are NOT interested in "indoctrinating" children.

Granted, I have never taught in far Leftist bastions, where I suspect this might be different. But although I am conservative, I find the conservative talking points about education really overblown. Not all wrong, but way overblown.

Always interested.

08/24/18 260 miles.
09/07/18 151 miles.
10/05/18 141 miles.
10/19/18 34 miles.
11/17/18 260 miles.
12/01/18 605 miles.

All for nothing.

Sports

Extracurriculars: Often where the real learning takes place.

That is the sad and real truth of American high schools.

Since the time of the ancient Greeks it has been recognized that physical education is a vital part of overall education.

Organized, competitive sport offers opportunities to learn important things that can be learned in very few other circumstances.

American traditions about school spirit, community, camaraderie, and identity are tied to sport.

To be honest, most of the educators I have taught with are what I would call "soft liberals" or "garden-variety liberals". They don't have the time or energy to devote much to politics and are not much interested in it, and are extremely soft-hearted, so are easy prey for the "talking points". So, the default position is liberal. However (and this is a big however), they tend to live very "conservative" lives: they are largely married with children, live in the suburbs and--if I dare say it--are conventionally "American". I don't mean that in any racial or religious way. I just mean that in minivan, mortgage, dog, kids. They are NOT far Left. They are NOT interested in "indoctrinating" children.

Granted, I have never taught in far Leftist bastions, where I suspect this might be different. But although I am conservative, I find the conservative talking points about education really overblown. Not all wrong, but way overblown.
Conservative talking points are both wrong and overblown with regard to education – the lies of ‘leftist bastions’ and ‘liberal agenda’ in particular.

Indeed, my experience teaching some 30 years ago is no different than today: educators who are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked – the consequence mostly of failed, wrongheaded Republican fiscal dogma and the right’s general contempt for education and educators.

Whether it be budget cuts, ‘charter’ schools, or Republicans’ contempt for teacher organizations, the root of most education problems is the unwarranted hostility most conservatives have for public school systems and public education.

I'm not an educator Unkotare

I'm a parent who is glad to have seen my kids survive the system (grown & gone now)

At the risk of portraying my ignorance , i'll simply say there's an obvious divide betwixt educators, and the system they have to operate in

It's like none of them have any say in it

~S~

Conservative talking points are both wrong and overblown with regard to education – the lies of ‘leftist bastions’ and ‘liberal agenda’ in particular.

Indeed, my experience teaching some 30 years ago is no different than today: educators who are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked – the consequence mostly of failed, wrongheaded Republican fiscal dogma and the right’s general contempt for education and educators.

Whether it be budget cuts, ‘charter’ schools, or Republicans’ contempt for teacher organizations, the root of most education problems is the unwarranted hostility most conservatives have for public school systems and public education.

Too simplistic by half

Biggest concern:

Mental health crisis and its impact on our students and education.

I think the biggest impediment to out educational system is the idea of mainstreaming. It ties teachers hands, diverts recourses away from the majority to concentrate on the few, disrupts the learning situation and as we have seen -- endangers all concerned.

Forum List

Back