Seniors and Technology

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
Ramblings from a Senior Citizen dealing with technology…

My kids gave me a new Blackberry. I thought about the large business with hundreds of employees that I ran for many years, all without a SmartPhone, iPhone or iPad that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates via Facebook or Twitter. One has to wonder how we survived!

I reluctantly signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my kids, their spouses, grandkids and great grand kids could send photos and communicate with me in the modern way. They overlooked the joy of actually seeing them in person or talking to them? Oh well.

Knowing my own technological limitations, I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter that only allowed 140 characters. What I didn’t know is that this doesn’t use the English language, but some strange symbols resembling a tonal language that is beyond my ability to understand. Also, this quickly led to my kids signing me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends and receives every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world. They also made sure that I have overnight become “friends” with well over half the population of the free world, all who mistakenly assume that I need to know their every move, what they eat, where they go, and how they feel from dawn to dark.

My phone now beeps every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire global next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the trunk of my car.

The kids next bought me a “GPS ” for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then when I venture out of the house in the car. I keep that in a box in my garage. To make the kids happy, I did use it for a few days and have to admit it looked pretty neat sitting on my car’s dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." I named the GPS lady “Gypsy”. You would think that Gypsy could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead .. Well, let’s just say that it was not a good relationship and Gypsy also ended up in the garage. I think we’re both happier.

When I do get lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets but I’ve noticed that she’s starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, but at least she loves me.

My grandchildren gave me what looked like some outer space earplug phone with a little plastic arm extending from my ear to my mouth. They said it was also equipped with “blue tooth” even though it was black. They were annoyed when I continued to attempt to make contact with the jets that flew over our house. That is also in my garage. I did strap it on once but had to take out my hearing aid. I was standing in line at the grocery store talking to my wife and noticed that everyone within fifty yards were glaring at me. My wife tells me that without my hearing aid, I tend to get a little loud.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the laundry baskets when the phone rings. Life was simpler before and I never lost a phone when it was attached to the wall by a cord.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even confuse me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves, but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out puzzles me. Again, my kids bought us some of those cloth reusable bags as evidently they were convinced we were the culprits damaging the world’s environment. However, I never remember to take them in with me. I think I wrapped Gypsy in one of those sacks in the garage.

Now when I check out at the grocery, I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.

I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, "No, but I’ve noticed that I do toot a lot."

I don’t need any more gadgets. The tv remote and the garage door remote are about all we seniors can handle.

Why do we need all this technology? Does it really bring any of us closer as a people or it is just a means of "communicating" while avoiding any real face to face or other meaningful communication? Does it effectively "isolate" us from other human contact?

We do not NEED anything other than a loin cloth and a cave but there ARE good things that come with technology. Every single thing that you point out about the disconnection from real contact could be said about the phone as well. I would be willing to bet that you do not see the phone like that though. Fact is, all of this is rather new and still evolving. There will be a point that it becomes normalized and finds the proper equilibrium, we are not there yet. There are many uses for things like face book and the like and there are many idiocies like you point out as well. The asinine parts will fade as the tech and lifestyle becomes more and more integrated and eventually will add to the richness of our lives.

Though I find your navigator funny. I LOVE my navigator, never get lost again and when I am in the mood for something like a random Thai restaurant or need something like I did this morning (new shoes) I can find it in seconds. Just takes some time getting used to it and integrating it in your driving toolset.

Ramblings from a Senior Citizen dealing with technology…

My kids gave me a new Blackberry. I thought about the large business with hundreds of employees that I ran for many years, all without a SmartPhone, iPhone or iPad that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates via Facebook or Twitter. One has to wonder how we survived!

I reluctantly signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my kids, their spouses, grandkids and great grand kids could send photos and communicate with me in the modern way. They overlooked the joy of actually seeing them in person or talking to them? Oh well.

Knowing my own technological limitations, I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter that only allowed 140 characters. What I didn’t know is that this doesn’t use the English language, but some strange symbols resembling a tonal language that is beyond my ability to understand. Also, this quickly led to my kids signing me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends and receives every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world. They also made sure that I have overnight become “friends” with well over half the population of the free world, all who mistakenly assume that I need to know their every move, what they eat, where they go, and how they feel from dawn to dark.

My phone now beeps every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire global next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the trunk of my car.

The kids next bought me a “GPS ” for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then when I venture out of the house in the car. I keep that in a box in my garage. To make the kids happy, I did use it for a few days and have to admit it looked pretty neat sitting on my car’s dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." I named the GPS lady “Gypsy”. You would think that Gypsy could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead .. Well, let’s just say that it was not a good relationship and Gypsy also ended up in the garage. I think we’re both happier.

When I do get lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets but I’ve noticed that she’s starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, but at least she loves me.

My grandchildren gave me what looked like some outer space earplug phone with a little plastic arm extending from my ear to my mouth. They said it was also equipped with “blue tooth” even though it was black. They were annoyed when I continued to attempt to make contact with the jets that flew over our house. That is also in my garage. I did strap it on once but had to take out my hearing aid. I was standing in line at the grocery store talking to my wife and noticed that everyone within fifty yards were glaring at me. My wife tells me that without my hearing aid, I tend to get a little loud.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the laundry baskets when the phone rings. Life was simpler before and I never lost a phone when it was attached to the wall by a cord.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even confuse me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves, but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out puzzles me. Again, my kids bought us some of those cloth reusable bags as evidently they were convinced we were the culprits damaging the world’s environment. However, I never remember to take them in with me. I think I wrapped Gypsy in one of those sacks in the garage.

Now when I check out at the grocery, I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.

I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, "No, but I’ve noticed that I do toot a lot."

I don’t need any more gadgets. The tv remote and the garage door remote are about all we seniors can handle.

Funniest (AND TRUE!) stuff I've read on the new age of gadgetry. I haven't yet been hit with "gifts" to try, and so I still remain happily in touch whenever I feel like it, using my landline, my plugged-in desktop, and my nonHD/BLUERAY television set. However, I have come around to realizing color TV is preferable to black and white, and I would be lost without my DVR. I have a cellphone, the cheapest available (Tracfone), but when they double-charged me for minutes, I let that lapse and now only carry it to dial 911 if I should go into cardiac arrest as an oncoming vehicle heads straight for me because some idiot is sending a text message on his.

Why do we need all this technology? Does it really bring any of us closer as a people or it is just a means of "communicating" while avoiding any real face to face or other meaningful communication? Does it effectively "isolate" us from other human contact?

No
Yes
Yes

It's also dumbing down the human race.

We do not NEED anything other than a loin cloth and a cave but there ARE good things that come with technology. Every single thing that you point out about the disconnection from real contact could be said about the phone as well. I would be willing to bet that you do not see the phone like that though. Fact is, all of this is rather new and still evolving. There will be a point that it becomes normalized and finds the proper equilibrium, we are not there yet. There are many uses for things like face book and the like and there are many idiocies like you point out as well. The asinine parts will fade as the tech and lifestyle becomes more and more integrated and eventually will add to the richness of our lives.

Though I find your navigator funny. I LOVE my navigator, never get lost again and when I am in the mood for something like a random Thai restaurant or need something like I did this morning (new shoes) I can find it in seconds. Just takes some time getting used to it and integrating it in your driving toolset.

I guess the GPS thing is o.k. but not having mile markers posted just makes me crazy - if I've got a problem I want to be able to say, "I'm northbound on I-81 at mile marker 200." Then the cops or somebody know exactly where I am. If I'm in TN I'd have to say, "I have no idea where I am - I'm southbound on I-75 somewhere between exit 122 and Knoxville."

I guess the GPS thing is o.k. but not having mile markers posted just makes me crazy - if I've got a problem I want to be able to say, "I'm northbound on I-81 at mile marker 200." Then the cops or somebody know exactly where I am. If I'm in TN I'd have to say, "I have no idea where I am - I'm southbound on I-75 somewhere between exit 122 and Knoxville."

Most GPS will tell you your coodinates to an accuracy of 10 feet or so. A lot better than mile marker 200.

Most GPS will tell you your coodinates to an accuracy of 10 feet or so. A lot better than mile marker 200.

I haven't got the time or the inclination to dither around with coordinates or maps or anything else a GPS might have for me. I can look at a mile marker a whole lot quicker and just keep on keeping on.

Well, in my craft I have seen us go from the old taper gauges and dial indictators to laser alignment with a computer that tell you exactly what to shim and how much. Which is very good. Until the damned thing gets confused. Then it is back to the old way. Provided you have one of us fossils that still knows how to do the old way.

I still have not made peace with cell phones. If I want to talk to someone, I will call them. I only carry one when I absolutely have to. Haven't got a GPS yet. Will, but only for latitude and longitude. I can find my way around with a map just fine.

Now the home computer, that is a differant thing altogether. Like having the whole world in your front room. An endless library, any subject that you care to investigate. That, for me, is the gadget that I most love.

How well does a GPS handle situations like this as far as instructions to the driver?

confusing_signs1+(2).jpg

How well does a GPS handle situations like this as far as instructions to the driver?

confusing_signs1+(2).jpg
Quite well as a matter of fact. My GPS even tells me what lane I need to be in.

I haven't got the time or the inclination to dither around with coordinates or maps or anything else a GPS might have for me. I can look at a mile marker a whole lot quicker and just keep on keeping on.
No offense granny but that is a matter of you simply not wanting to learn these simple things. Not faulting you, just pointing out that wanting a mile marker is rather pointless as you would likely not even want to learn how to access the information on the unit. Older people tend not to like new tech simply because the old way works and they do not want to learn another way of doing things no matter how easy the newer ways may or may not be. Nothing wrong with that but there it is ;)

I had a GPS for a while. Gypsy did not understand all the nuances of Portland's streets. It kept wanting to seen me down one way streets the wrong direction and sending me into dead ends. And I have to agree, Gypsy's attitude was grating, and I wish I could have found someway to give her a bit of percussive maintenance.

No offense granny but that is a matter of you simply not wanting to learn these simple things. Not faulting you, just pointing out that wanting a mile marker is rather pointless as you would likely not even want to learn how to access the information on the unit. Older people tend not to like new tech simply because the old way works and they do not want to learn another way of doing things no matter how easy the newer ways may or may not be. Nothing wrong with that but there it is ;)

You're right. Life was more simple when we didn't have all these gadgets. We communicated face to face ... we waived hello to our neighbor in the morning instead of texting them on the way out the door. Which action really takes less time? A quick waive or pushing a bunch of buttons? Which is more friendly and/or personable?

I guess, in part, I'm sort of jaded - working around people who lived every minute of their day based on what was in their blackberry, people tearing down a highway running their mouth on the cell phone instead of looking where they're going. "Oops ... sorry I slammed into you and tied up traffic for five hours because I just couldn't stay at my desk five more minutes to close my deal ... but you're partly at fault because you should have gotten out of my way." Really?

I'm retired. I don't need the rat race anymore. I tired of the whole "He who has the most toys wins" attitude back in the 80s. Do I like my computer? Yes - absolutely. Do I like to take pictures with my cell phone? Yes - especially when I take morning walks - because I'll never see that EXACT sunrise again. One of these days I really must invest in a real camera ... and have my children show me how to download the pictures to my computer! :D

Why do we need all this technology?

As someone who built his first computer in 1978 I think there is definitely a degree of Technology for Technologies Sake going on. Some people want stupid stuff just because it is currently regarded as COOL. Before I switched to computers Men, it was mostly men, were buying 200 watts per channel power amplifiers. Like who needed that?

Now some people change their smart phones every 6 months. When they first get it they brag about how cool it is. Then after 2 months they complain about all of the idiotic glitches it has. Then they get another one with new improved idiotic glitches. :cuckoo: :lol:

I have had a DUMB phone since I first got a cell phone.

I am considering getting a myTouch 4g now. The smartphone finally looks good enough to be worth it. But I hear they are putting trojans into the free software for it in China.

Galbraith was talking about the planned obsolescence of cars in 1959. I have a Linux book from 2001 that mentions the planned obsolescence of computer software. Let's get real. Although technology does improve a lot of the changes are just for marketing purposes to make money.

psik

Last edited:

Need? Well some of it can be handy sometimes, but only sometimes.
We mostly "need" it because of sales and marketing.

confusing_signs1+(2).jpg
Quite well as a matter of fact. My GPS even tells me what lane I need to be in.

I have to sorta agree and sorta disagree. I'm all for new technology to make things easier. My own "computer" literacy goes way back to one of the first "word processors" (not exactly computer-smart, but the technology led to WP/DP and took off from there). I kept pace with all of them as they became faster (and smaller). My Vydec (which used 10" disks) took up an entire wall in my office! That said, because the incredibly fast pace of new and improved systems began to be overwhelming, I stopped at what would serve MY personal and vocational needs. Now, however, in order to solve even a simple problem on my five-year old desktop, even asking the simple question in lay terms generates answers in some language that is totally incomprehensible to me. The experts have already forgotten that not everyone speaks like a computer, and it isn't just us older folks. If I ask a simple question, I want a simple answer, or at least an answer that takes me step-by-step toward resolution because I don't even pretend to be IT savvy anymore.

Forum List

Back