Researchers Aim to Clone, Resurrect Mammoth Within Five Years

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
FoxNews.com - Researchers Aim to Clone, Resurrect Mammoth Within Five Years

Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in about five years time, a report Monday said.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realize this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cells from which the nuclei have been removed to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, it said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's womb in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth. Researches hope to achieve their aim within five to six years, the Yomiuri said.

It's cool and creepy that we can do this.

This does raise a few questions for me though;

How's it going to live? The climate it would be used to is long gone.

What's it going to eat? It's food source, that it's born to eat, is also long gone.

Who's going to handle it? Do we assume an elephant trainer can to the same with a much larger animal?

I see a lot of things that can go wrong, and cause the animal to suffer, with little that needs to be learned for the cost.

green-pig.jpg

since we have the glowning pigs, i´m dont wonder about anything.

we opened pandora´s box. Things are running now, to bless and doom, like in every new technology.

the dam broke up. too late for debates. what could be done, will be done. if not here, than anywhere.

mayer07-23-09-4.jpg

mouse wih human ear on his back. No photoshop.
actually, isnt that used for human replacement parts
IE using the mouse to grow the cartilage for the human recipient?

Last edited:
It's cool and creepy that we can do this.
Very cool and very creepy. I t would be amazing to see one in person though.
This does raise a few questions for me though;
How's it going to live? The climate it would be used to is long gone.
Not true at all. Climates in the specific aria that the animal used to live in may not be present there but the climate has not disappeared, just moved/shrank. It is vastly more probable though that the environment will be simulated. There are arctic penguins in Los Angeles, sharks in Missouri and African elephants in Seattle. None of these things are in their natural habitats but rather in simulated versions at the zoo. This will be no different. I am quite sure they are not referring to reviving the species as a whole. That would be rather presumptuous and ignorant.

There is the possibility the air has changed but I have not the time to research whether or not the O2 content was sufficiently different in that age than it is in the current one.
What's it going to eat? It's food source, that it's born to eat, is also long gone.
Not true either. The creature was not born to eat a specific plant but rather a type of plant. There are equivalents here today.
Who's going to handle it? Do we assume an elephant trainer can to the same with a much larger animal?
I do not see why not. It is just an animal and while it will be different there is no reason that accommodations cannot be made or that they will even be difficult.

I see a lot of things that can go wrong, and cause the animal to suffer, with little that needs to be learned for the cost.
Sure, but there are worse things that happen all the time and I would rather believe that this particular animal is going to be treated as a king. This will be commercialized and there will be mega bucks involved in the showcasing of such an animal. I can almost guarantee that.

the dam broke up. too late for debates. what could be done, will be done. if not here, than anywhere.

mayer07-23-09-4.jpg

mouse wih human ear on his back. No photoshop.
actually, isnt that used for human replacement parts
IE using the mouse to grow the cartilage for the human recipient?

as much as i know, the´re trying. from my view now, this is very scary, not to say horrific. But if i would be in need to a new organ, i surely raise my acceptance to this.

I think we would still have mammoths if they hadn't been hunted to extinction, so I don't really have a problem with this.

And while climate has changed somewhat, I don't think it has changed enough to make it impossible for a mammoth to live, particularly if it's captive and it's environment is monitored.

I think we would still have mammoths if they hadn't been hunted to extinction, so I don't really have a problem with this.

And while climate has changed somewhat, I don't think it has changed enough to make it impossible for a mammoth to live, particularly if it's captive and it's environment is monitored.

The mammoths were not hunted to extinction.

I suppose if you're born and a cage, it's normal.

That´s right. The researchers found out, that the Mammoth, the wollen Rhiniceros and these giant deers were wiped out by a bakteria which was superinfectious.

That brings me to the question what if the researches revitalise not only the mammoth`?

...its the end of the world as we know it...

That´s right. The researchers found out, that the Mammoth, the wollen Rhiniceros and these giant deers were wiped out by a bakteria which was superinfectious.

That brings me to the question what if the researches revitalise not only the mammoth`?

...its the end of the world as we know it...

Now that's funny

I suppose it's a long shot of a chance that the one they use has the bacteria in it's blood, but it won't be in the genes.

Forum List

Back