"Two-factor" ID on Cell Phones and "Help-A-Friend" - A Solution in Search of a Problem?

Do you think "two-factor" ID is:

• Total voters

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
Apple keeps on trying to convince or trick me into "choosing" "two-factor" ID, so that I would have to fetch my cell phone after inputting my password. Apple repeatedly asks me to convert my phone to "two-factor" ID. More absurdly it keeps trying to convince me to switch a family member's phone over, without their knowledge, when I try to locate my wife's or son's phone.

Why more absurdly; if the phone is lost it makes the "Help a Friend" factor useless. And with phones themselves, I cannot imagine the havoc that would cause.

The question is "why"? Is there some techno-genius doing this or is part of the modern trend to make things "not work?"

I won't go so far as to say it's a conspiracy, but the vector of 2FA, is to drive us all toward using a cell phone as a defacto ID. Which rubs me wrong on a strictly practical level - I fucking hate cell phones.

I won't go so far as to say it's a conspiracy, but the vector of 2FA, is to drive us all toward using a cell phone as a defacto ID. Which rubs me wrong on a strictly practical level - I fucking hate cell phones.
It also allows "them" to reliably attach you to a profile that can be used for ad targeting and other kinds of tracking. Emails and random login/passwords are easier to use anonymously than a piece of hardware.

Apple keeps on trying to convince or trick me into "choosing" "two-factor" ID, so that I would have to fetch my cell phone after inputting my password. Apple repeatedly asks me to convert my phone to "two-factor" ID. More absurdly it keeps trying to convince me to switch a family member's phone over, without their knowledge, when I try to locate my wife's or son's phone.

Why more absurdly; if the phone is lost it makes the "Help a Friend" factor useless. And with phones themselves, I cannot imagine the havoc that would cause.

The question is "why"? Is there some techno-genius doing this or is part of the modern trend to make things "not work?"
no cellphone, no problem

2FA can be handled a number of ways. Most forms allow both inputs from apps or texts running on cell phones, or email right on your computer. Can it be spoofed or hacked? Yes...on rare occasion. It's difficult, but not impossible.
I've been using it for years on my cellphone and have not noticed any increase or targeting of ads.

2FA can be handled a number of ways. Most forms allow both inputs from apps or texts running on cell phones, or email right on your computer. Can it be spoofed or hacked? Yes...on rare occasion. It's difficult, but not impossible.
I've been using it for years on my cellphone and have not noticed any increase or targeting of ads.
I have access to track my wife's cellphone and my older brother's phone. My wife and my son have access to track mine. Pretty handy, but I would not want just anybody to have that access, simply by picking up one of these phones. 2FA is the way to go.

It seems as though we are being forced to work harder and harder to use commercial products. Maybe they've lost sight of the idea that technology is supposed to make things easier. I find that the 2 factor ID is part of almost everything I do, except banking on my new iPhone. For the two banking apps I use, I have face ID and I just tap them and they pop right open. The one think I would like to have multi-factor ID and it's the easiest.

I also am tired of each product demanding I download an app for it. I just bought a printer for the first time in years. It was wifi, of course. I had to download a phone app to install it in my computer, and after two hours, all it would dowas print the sheets the printer uses for allignment or whatever. Never got it to print anything, so I returned it to Amazon. The printer I got years ago, I just plugged in the ends of the cable, ran the CD, and I's in bid'ness.

My wife brought home a couple of COVID tests since we both were under the weather and they required we download an app to get the instructions. So, don't ask me if I have COVID, ask my co-workers next week if they have it and you'll know.

I have access to track my wife's cellphone and my older brother's phone. My wife and my son have access to track mine. Pretty handy, but I would not want just anybody to have that access, simply by picking up one of these phones. 2FA is the way to go.
Access to your actual cellphone would be more handled in the way of complex passwords and other forms of local authentication, say biometrics (face, thumb) which I have not yet tried.
The 2FA uses most common are to gain access to programs or accounts that contain sensitive information, work or personal. I would also pay attention to encryption (both at-rest and in-flight). of data.

It seems as though we are being forced to work harder and harder to use commercial products. Maybe they've lost sight of the idea that technology is supposed to make things easier. I find that the 2 factor ID is part of almost everything I do, except banking on my new iPhone. For the two banking apps I use, I have face ID and I just tap them and they pop right open. The one think I would like to have multi-factor ID and it's the easiest.

I also am tired of each product demanding I download an app for it. I just bought a printer for the first time in years. It was wifi, of course. I had to download a phone app to install it in my computer, and after two hours, all it would dowas print the sheets the printer uses for allignment or whatever. Never got it to print anything, so I returned it to Amazon. The printer I got years ago, I just plugged in the ends of the cable, ran the CD, and I's in bid'ness.

My wife brought home a couple of COVID tests since we both were under the weather and they required we download an app to get the instructions. So, don't ask me if I have COVID, ask my co-workers next week if they have it and you'll know.
Yeah, I saw those COVID app downloads and I can assure you, they aren't necessary to determine if you have COVID or not. :)

Yeah, I saw those COVID app downloads and I can assure you, they aren't necessary to determine if you have COVID or not. :)
Jesus Christ, I didn't even think of that. I just thougt "another damn app just to use something I paid for." You're right as rain, I'm sure.

Access to your actual cellphone would be more handled in the way of complex passwords and other forms of local authentication, say biometrics (face, thumb) which I have not yet tried.
The 2FA uses most common are to gain access to programs or accounts that contain sensitive information, work or personal. I would also pay attention to encryption (both at-rest and in-flight). of data.
Back in the day, I did use thumbprint and an obscure, but not complicated cellphone password. Now I have facial recognition and still another obscure but not complicated password. There is private information on my phone. I don't want anybody screwing up the phone, and though I have nothing against police, I do not wish to extend them or anybody else, automatically, unfettered access, even if I simply leave it someplace or lose it. It is supposed to my private phone, not a public phone.

There can be several reasons why Apple is encouraging you to use two-factor authentication:

1. Enhanced Security: Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your Apple account by requiring you to verify your identity through a trusted device (like your phone) in addition to your password. This helps protect your personal information from unauthorized access.

2. Industry Standards: Two-factor authentication has become an industry standard for many online services due to the increasing number of security threats and cyber attacks. By encouraging users to adopt this security measure, Apple is aligning itself with best practices in the industry.

3. Compliance Requirements: Two-factor authentication may be required by certain laws or regulations in some countries. By promoting its usage, Apple ensures that it meets these legal obligations and maintains a good reputation in the market.

4. User Experience: While it may seem inconvenient to fetch your phone for verification, two-factor authentication is designed to enhance the overall security and trustworthiness of the user experience. Apple believes that the benefits outweigh the occasional inconvenience.

Apple's push for two-factor authentication is not an attempt to make things not work or to trick users. Rather, it is a proactive measure to strengthen security and protect customers' accounts and data. :)

Forum List

Back