Sen Murray (D) calls McConnell and his handler's (Grover) bluff

I'm done. That last hostage crisis of summer 2011 was enough to have me fed up for life.

Oh, the debt ceiling? Yeah, that was a real hairball all around. I suppose we'll never know if Obama changed the agreement at the last minute or whether Boehner was just playing politics. Depends on which side of the fence you're on I guess. Personally, I think there's enough blame to go around, neither side seems to be much interested in cooperation and compromise.

You must have missed the part where the President gave them everything they wanted, and they still refused to budge.

There is no more compromise in Washington, hence #offthecliff.

Off the cliff, Thelma & Louise-style - Video on NBCNews.com

Patty Murray: Democrats will go over 'fiscal cliff' unless GOP relents - CSMonitor.com

“Millions of jobs could be lost through the automatic cuts, programs families depend on would be slashed irresponsibly across the board, and middle-class tax cuts would expire. And once again, if Republicans won’t work with us on a balanced approach, we are not going to get a deal,” said Senator Murray, the Senate’s No. 4 Democrat, in a speech at the Brookings Institution on Monday.

“f we can’t get a good deal – a balanced deal that calls on the wealthy to pay their fair share – then I will absolutely continue this debate into 2013, rather than lock in a long-term deal this year that throws middle-class families under the bus,” she said.

I don't know why they don't just blow off the pledge. They had no business pledging to Grover Norquist to begin with.

Oh whatever.... these childish fuckwads pull this shit every time they are threatened with not getting their way.

They know damn well that if they confiscated EVERY FUCKING DIME the wealthy has, they'd be able to run the government for about 2 - 3 weeks. It's plumb stupid what they are arguing.

Off the cliff, Thelma & Louise-style - Video on NBCNews.com

Patty Murray: Democrats will go over 'fiscal cliff' unless GOP relents - CSMonitor.com

“Millions of jobs could be lost through the automatic cuts, programs families depend on would be slashed irresponsibly across the board, and middle-class tax cuts would expire. And once again, if Republicans won’t work with us on a balanced approach, we are not going to get a deal,” said Senator Murray, the Senate’s No. 4 Democrat, in a speech at the Brookings Institution on Monday.

“f we can’t get a good deal – a balanced deal that calls on the wealthy to pay their fair share – then I will absolutely continue this debate into 2013, rather than lock in a long-term deal this year that throws middle-class families under the bus,” she said.

I don't know why they don't just blow off the pledge. They had no business pledging to Grover Norquist to begin with.

Murray was also part of the "supercommittee" that failed.

Chris was all over himself with glee (now the spending cuts are automatic....Obama has brilliantly taken it out of the hands of congress)......

Guess what ?

Murray and Co. failed and those cuts probably won't take place.

Go screw yourself for blaming this all on the GOP. Neither side, at the federal level, is really interested in fiscal management. They want to push it off onto the future generations.

Let's hope she and her fellow dickweeds do take us over the cliff.

You must have missed the part where the President gave them everything they wanted, and they still refused to budge.

The way I heard it, Obama moved the goalposts and changed the deal. 'Member the quote about trying to pin jello down, or something like that?

There are some posters around here who will never admit or accept that their side is wrong or that both sides share some responsibility for what went wrong. Are you one of those?

The way I heard it, Obama moved the goalposts and changed the deal. 'Member the quote about trying to pin jello down, or something like that?

There are some posters around here who will never admit or accept that their side is wrong or that both sides share some responsibility for what went wrong. Are you one of those?

Was this the infamous.....1 gazillion dollars in cuts......six years from now ?

That never would take place because he knew congress would not weather the storm.

This is the biggest crock of crap.

The top 20 percent of wage earners pay 50 percent of the taxes while 50 percent of the people pay no taxes at all. And you want them to pay more? What's wrong with this picture? S-O-C-I-A-L-I-S-M

This is a pretty old meme..and not accurate. It was also George W. Bush that enacted a tax plan that allowed some income ranges not to pay federal taxes. But they still pay local taxes, which in turn allows the federal government to use it's revenue in different places.

The top 20 percent pay higher taxes on the local level, too. So I don't think you have a real point here.

The top 20 percent of wage earners pay 50 percent of the taxes while 50 percent of the people pay no taxes at all. And you want them to pay more? What's wrong with this picture? S-O-C-I-A-L-I-S-M
This is why CON$ervoFascists are so insane!!! They bitch about how 50% pay no taxes but want to make the Bush tax cuts permanent which doubled the number of people paying no taxes. So here is an opportunity to cut the munber of "freeloaders" in half and the CON$ervoFascists are against it. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

so you are for middle class taxes rising?

oh and hey, didn't you and your gang spend almost a decade telling us that the bush tax cuts were just for the rich?:eusa_eh:

you don't have any idea of what you're talking about....shocker...

1. The Dems could've raised taxes on the rich back in '09. Didn't cuz they didn't have the balls to do it. Probably too many of THEIR wealthy donors told 'em not to.

2. Clinton and Obama are both on record as saying that raising taxes in a recession is a bad idea. Well here we are, maybe it ain't an offical recession, but it's damn close. Too close for a lot of people.

3. You realize what's going to happen to the cap gains and dividends tax rate come Jan 1? That's where most of the income comes from for those SOB 1%ers. If those tax rates are not extended, this economy will be in for a major shitstorm.

4. Do you also realize what happens when you raise tax rates? The rich people sellout, pack up, and move out to other climes where they can make a better return on their investments. Or maybe they stay home but their money leaves, or goes into the various tax havens that our fucked up tax code has. One way or another, you ain't going to get the extra revenue you thought you were going to get.

5. Obama doesn't care whether we get the extra revenue or not, he just wants the "fairness". So, are you okay with raising taxes for fairness even if it means the possibility of less economic growth? Love to see an answer for this one, doubt I'll get one.

6. You do realize, that the tax hikes being discussed are not going to come close to solving our debt/deficit problem, right? The entitlement programs we have will still be insolvent, and the amount of interest we'll have to pay on the debt will continue to go up. And eventually those low interest rates will begin to climb; it ain't going to be a couple hundred billion, it's going to exceed a trillion dollars. Are you good with laying that kind of burden on future taxpayers, your kids and grandkids?

Yeah sure, I guess things will be more fair. We'll all be fucked, but by God it'll be fair.

to them, you're speaking Greek. The talking point of the week appears to be ...Norquist, hence the mice rolling off the verbal cliff.

We don't need to raise or lower taxes. We need to reform them. Eliminate all deductions, subsidies, and credits. Then you can lower the margins considerably, and politicians will have a fuck of a time trying to get away with raising taxes because everyone will notice.

With the complicated tax structure we have now, I guarantee you most people have no clue how much they paid in taxes on their last return, even though the number was right there in front of them. It was too complicated, so they had a computer program do it for them, or they had Jackson Hewitt or H&R Block do it for them. Then they sat back and waited for their refund. The only number they remember is the amount of their refund.

If you know everyone else is being taxed the same rate with no deductions, then you feel the system is fair. All this bullshit about "fair share" is just that. It's bullshit. The only thing that is fair is if NO ONE gets a discount for anything.

It also makes it harder to raise taxes. Right now, if they say the tax margin has gone up 3 percent, you really don't know how much more that means you will pay in taxes since you have several deductions. It may have no effect on you at all.

But if there are no deductions and taxes go up 3 percent, you can immediately calculate in your head the exact amount extra you are going to have to pay in taxes next year.

The more people who know exactly how they are affected by a tax increase, the more pressure that puts on a politician not to piss all those people off.

Last edited:
The GOP offered at least 2 solutions to the debt crisis, including a Balanced Budget Amendment. And guess who killed it? Yep..the Dumbos in the Senate.

The rethugs are so fukin weird.

If my taxes go up to Clinton levels I will survive. So will you.

I survived gas price increases that cost me more.

I survived real estate price collapse which cost me a lot more.

I will survive the food price increase coming from the drought.

But to think I would give up the opportunity to see the fuking rethugs go bat shit crazy over the idea their heros (the ultra rich) taxes going up, well there is no way I would miss that.

And I will gladly pay a tax increase to see it.

But it will never happen.

I'm one who was glued to the news every.damn.day of that issue and I know what I saw.

This is why CON$ervoFascists are so insane!!! They bitch about how 50% pay no taxes but want to make the Bush tax cuts permanent which doubled the number of people paying no taxes. So here is an opportunity to cut the munber of "freeloaders" in half and the CON$ervoFascists are against it. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

If the Dems plan is to reinstate the tax cuts for those making less than $250K it would effectively reduce the number of 'freeloaders' by...

...wait for it....

...ZERO!!

Forum List

Back