Secession: Proposed Constitutional Amendment

Insurrection during the CIVIL WAR is NOT and has ZERO to do with an out of control Federal Government...

You are right the OP has nothing to do with the CIVIL WAR nor with overreach of the federal government, it has to do with provideing for a peaceful and structured means of State secession with insurrection.

...with whom our Framers themselves fled and began a new country- OUR OWN , when faced with the same.

And the fact is that if we'd lost the Revolutionary War the heros of the revolution would have been hung as traitors to the Crown and would be in the history books as criminal executed for treason.

>>>>

To be sure, the issue of State's rights has been massively usurped through a LIBERALLY actitvist federal government and SCOTUS. States need not cower to the Fed, but reassert their rights via the US Constitution. A centralized Fed government, all encompassing power was never intended by our Framers. Quite the opposite..

This secessionist thing is just sore losers acting like children, as they always do.

Taking their ball and going home. Except it isn't their ball.

The 14th...

Which of course has absolutley nothing to do with the OP, which is placing a mechanism in the Constitution to provide for peaceful and equitable secession of a state.

>>>>

Your contention that the Fed Gov overrules States rights doesn't line up and square with settled CASE law which directly goes to the 14th Amendment.

Here is my contention: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The insurrection clause of Article I Section 8 of the Constitution is a delegated power to the Congress. However, the insurrection clause has absolutley nothing to do with the 14th Amendment as Article I Section 8 was passed as part of the original Constitution 80 years prior.

>>>>

Last edited:
Which of course has absolutley nothing to do with the OP, which is placing a mechanism in the Constitution to provide for peaceful and equitable secession of a state.

>>>>

Your contention that the Fed Gov overrules States rights doesn't line up and square with settled CASE law which directly goes to the 14th Amendment.

The insurrection clause of Article I Section 8 of the Constitution has absolutley nothing to do with the 14th Amendment as Article I Section 8 was passed as part of the original Constitution 80 years prior.

>>>>

Nice deflection, doesn't work here. I said SETTLED CASE LAW and I noted it with a link.

The insurrection clause of Article I Section 8 of the Constitution has absolutley nothing to do with the 14th Amendment as Article I Section 8 was passed as part of the original Constitution 80 years prior.

>>>>

Nice deflection, doesn't work here. I said SETTLED CASE LAW and I noted it with a link.

Your attempt to deflect to the 14th Amendment has nothing to do with the insurrection clause of the original Constitution nor does the 14th Amendment have anything to do with Congresses authority to suppress insurrection.

And all of that has nothing to do with the OP which is intended to provide a peaceful and orderly framework for future secession of a State if the wish to apply for it.

>>>>

Once more:

Writing for the Court, Chief Justice John Marshall asserted that the Constitution created the federal government, and the provisions of the Constitution were designed to regulate the activity of the federal government. The people of each state enacted their own constitution, Marshall contended, to regulate the activities of their state and local governments. Thus, Marshall reasoned that the U.S. Constitution operates only as a limitation on the powers of the federal government, unless one of its provisions expressly restricts the powers of state governments, as does Article I, Section 10.

fourteenth amendment legal definition of fourteenth amendment. fourteenth amendment synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Uhhh.. this is backwards.. you have to remember that it is the STATES that give the power to the federal government.... it is not up to the fed to say whether a state can withdraw

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did, but you did not continue on with your reading after the bit about Justice Marshall's opinion in the Barron case:

The Supreme Court's decision in Barron weighed heavily on the mind of John Bingham, the Republican representative from Ohio who was the primary architect of Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment. Bingham said he "noted … certain words in the opinion of Marshall" when he was "reexamining that case of Barron." The chief justice, Bingham stressed, denied the wharf owner's claim because the Framers of the Bill of Rights, unlike the Framers of Article I, Section 10, had not chosen the type of explicit language that would clearly make the Bill of Rights applicable to state governments. "Acting upon" Marshall's "suggestion" in Barron, Bingham said, he "imitated"the Framers of Article I, Section 10:"As [these Framers had written] 'no state shall … pass any Bill of Attainder …' I prepared the provision of the first section of the fourteenth amendment."

Bingham's remarks shed light on the Supreme Court's decision to make most of the provisions contained in the Bill of Rights applicable to state governments through the doctrine of incorporation.

And that is why case law since the 14th Amendment disagrees with your opinion.

Last edited:
Uhhh.. this is backwards.. you have to remember that it is the STATES that give the power to the federal government.... it is not up to the fed to say whether a state can withdraw

Actually it is, the States gave the power to suppress revolt to the Congress.

>>>>

Last edited:
Incorporation Doctrine

The doctrine of selective incorporation, or simply the incorporation doctrine, makes the first ten amendments to the Constitution—known as the Bill of Rights—binding on the states.

Last edited:
Once more:

Writing for the Court, Chief Justice John Marshall asserted that the Constitution created the federal government, and the provisions of the Constitution were designed to regulate the activity of the federal government. The people of each state enacted their own constitution, Marshall contended, to regulate the activities of their state and local governments. Thus, Marshall reasoned that the U.S. Constitution operates only as a limitation on the powers of the federal government, unless one of its provisions expressly restricts the powers of state governments, as does Article I, Section 10.

fourteenth amendment legal definition of fourteenth amendment. fourteenth amendment synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Again, the power to suppress insurrection is explicitly given to the Congress in Article I Section 8.

>>>>

Once more:

Again, the power to suppress insurrection is explicitly given to the Congress in Article I Section 8.

>>>>

I'd like a direct link plz.

Actually it is, the States gave the power to suppress revolt to the Congress.

>>>>

Don't think we have armed insurrection here.. this is no different in reality than someone looking to change citizenship to another country...

If this were, for example, Texas looking to cease to be part of the union, amassing troops on the border, preventing those who wish to remain as US citizens from leaving or taking them prisoner, etc, you would have something with revolt or insurrection

Why is it every time some progressive puke wins people start talking about this?????? Hey people do you really think it is a smart think to talk about what amounts to treason online? cause in the federal governments eyes thats what it is. No one is going to split from the country ...Why? Cause it will cause war. Its that simple. It wont even matter who starts it.

The Tenth Amendment recognizes that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Forum List

Back