Secession: Proposed Constitutional Amendment

The Tenth Amendment recognizes that "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

And suppression of insurrection is explicitly authorized for Congress.

>>>>

INSURRECTION. A rebellion of citizens or subjects of a country against its government.

How is it that States with a majority (assumption) of their citizens wanting to be independent peacefully, considered insurrection?
*Disclaimer-- I do not support secession..but I do support STATES RIGHTS

Because they are part of the United States, which is a superior (has in higher not necessarily better) part of the government. Summary secession without the consent of Congress would be insurrection against the United States.

I also don't support secession and do support state powers as defined under the 10th Amendment, however insurrection suppression is a Congressional authority.

>>>>

Much too broad.. You noted a section and article of the US Constitution which YOU state supports your argument of an all powerful Federal government. I'd like that direct link.

I'm not into playing games. Article I Section 8 of the Constitution is in the link provided. If you are to lazy to scroll down and read the appropriate section then I can't help you.

>>>>

If you want to play personal insults, do it elsewhere.. I've not insulted you, DO THE SAME.

Then the next time you ask for a link and one is provided in good faith try not to reply with a snarky comment. The Article I've mentioned is in the Constitution, if you don't want to read the section that is mentioned, that is your problem not mine. Same thing with supplying dictionary definitions of words and then referring to them as "my opinion".

If you want to debate intelligently, let's. If you want to play snarky, do it elsewhere.

>>>>

Last edited:
The Constitution doesn't say "armed insurrection". It says "insurrection" which is a revolt against established authority.

Insurrection:: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Revolt:: to renounce allegiance or subjection (as to a government)

Insurrection - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Revolt - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Actually there is a huge difference. One is an individual act. The other is an attempt to change an established government.

Texas petitioned the United States for admission to the Union and it took the vote of Congress for such admission to pass, same principle should apply for Texas to leave the union.

>>>>

There it is^^^^ YOUR implied definition of REVOLT. You're using your own standard based upon your own set of ideological beliefs.. That's nothing more than your opinion.

Nope the links were to the dictionary definition of insurrection and revolt not "my" definition.

>>>>
A people who wish to peacefully form their own Union is NOT an insurrection nor is it a revolt..Those are your definitions. Every petitition I've read has stated , "PEACEFULLY."

Well no.

There absolutely should be no right to secede.

There is a right for folks to leave. If they are unhappy they should use that right.

States already have the right to secede. They always have.

I'm not into playing games. Article I Section 8 of the Constitution is in the link provided. If you are to lazy to scroll down and read the appropriate section then I can't help you.

>>>>

If you want to play personal insults, do it elsewhere.. I've not insulted you, DO THE SAME.

Then the next time you ask for a link and one is provided in good faith try not to reply with a snarky comment. The Article I've mentioned is in the Constitution, if you don't want to read the section that is mentioned, that is your problem not mine.

>>>>

Excuse me????????????????? Asking you to actually BACK UP YOUR OWN ARGUMENT is snarky?? I'm done with this.. It's very obvious from your responses that you are unable to debate this subject matter without being emotional. Lastly, you didn't provide the section, NOW DID YOU??? YOU PROVIDED THE ENTIRE US CONSTITUTION. OMG lmao
I remember you.. Nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Because they are part of the United States, which is a superior (has in higher not necessarily better) part of the government. Summary secession without the consent of Congress would be insurrection against the United States.

I also don't support secession and do support state powers as defined under the 10th Amendment, however insurrection suppression is a Congressional authority.

>>>>

It's "superior" only in your own mind. secession is not "insurrection."

No one is surprised that a goose stepping statist like you opposes secession. Adolf Hitler held the same position.

>>>>

It's "superior" only in your own mind. secession is not "insurrection."

No one is surprised that a goose stepping statist like you opposes secession. Adolf Hitler held the same position.

thats a distinction Obama will not see......If people secede Obama will call it a revolt. True or not war will come.

That section doesn't support your claim.

the best way to cure most our ills is not to secede but to repeal the the 17th amendment....Senators were never suppose to represent the people.

There it is^^^^ YOUR implied definition of REVOLT. You're using your own standard based upon your own set of ideological beliefs.. That's nothing more than your opinion.

Nope the links were to the dictionary definition of insurrection and revolt not "my" definition.

>>>>
A people who wish to peacefully form their own Union is NOT an insurrection nor is it a revolt..Those are your definitions. Every petitition I've read has stated , "PEACEFULLY."

Insurrection nor revolt require armed conflict, both only require and attempt to usurp the existing government and the suggested OP provides for a PEACEFUL transition to secession.

>>>>

>>>>

Any Amendment regarding secession that requires permission from Congress is worthless. It's a joke. Why would Congress ever grant such permission?

Your OP is a joke, and you are a joke.

And suppression of insurrection is explicitly authorized for Congress.

>>>>

INSURRECTION. A rebellion of citizens or subjects of a country against its government.

How is it that States with a majority (assumption) of their citizens wanting to be independent peacefully, considered insurrection?
*Disclaimer-- I do not support secession..but I do support STATES RIGHTS

>>>>

Except the state can simply not send representatives to the congress... you are assuming that the fed assumes the power completely over the state when the state joins the union... it is the opposite, since it is/was the states that give the fed its very specific powers.. the state, by construct of how the union was put together, never really lost its sovereignty... even though ones like Lincoln thought they did by ratifying the Constitution

Insurrection nor revolt require armed conflict, both only require and attempt to usurp the existing government and the suggested OP provides for a PEACEFUL transition to secession.

Secession doesn't "usurp" anything, so you're still wrong.

Then the next time you ask for a link and one is provided in good faith try not to reply with a snarky comment. The Article I've mentioned is in the Constitution, if you don't want to read the section that is mentioned, that is your problem not mine.

>>>>

Excuse me????????????????? Asking you to actually BACK UP YOUR OWN ARGUMENT is snarky??

When you ask for a link that supports my statement that Congress has the authority to suppress insurrection and one is provided then you refuse to simply scroll down the page to the appropriate paragraph?

Yes.

I'm done with this..

OK. But probably not, it's more likely you will hang around. That's OK.

It's very obvious from your responses that you are unable to debate this subject matter without being emotional.

I haven't gotten emotional. I'm not the one reverting to shouting (i.e. TYPING IN CAPS).

Lastly, you didn't provide the section, NOW DID YOU??? YOU PROVIDED THE ENTIRE US CONSTITUTION. OMG lmao

Go back through the thread, I've repeated identified the cognizant information as "Article I Section 8 of the Constitution".

You just needed to scroll down the page to Article I Section 8 and read the paragraphs there.

I remember you.. Nothing has changed.

God I hope nothings changed.

I enjoy being correct. :lol:

>>>>

The OP provides for nothing because the federal government will never agree to a diminution in the extent of its control.

Any secession amendment that would mean anything would have to allow secession based solely on the popular will of the citizens in the state that wants to secede. Congress's opinion on the matter would be irrelevant.

Forum List

Back