Seattle Doing The Right Thing

Seattle Under Siege
Record numbers of homeless people are occupying the city’s public spaces, despite massive government spending to fight the problem.

Seattle is under siege. Over the past five years, the Emerald City has seen an explosion of homelessness, crime, and addiction. In its 2017 point-in-time count of the homeless, King County social-services agency All Home found 11,643 people sleeping in tents, cars, and emergency shelters. Property crime has risen to a rate two and a half times higher than Los Angeles’s and four times higher than New York City’s. Cleanup crews pick up tens of thousands of dirty needles from city streets and parks every year.

At the same time, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Seattle metro area spends more than $1 billion fighting homelessness every year. That’s nearly $100,000 for every homeless man, woman, and child in King County, yet the crisis seems only to have deepened, with more addiction, more crime, and more tent encampments in residential neighborhoods. By any measure, the city’s efforts are not working.

Seattle Under Siege

Conservatives prefer places with zero economic activity because it's the only place they can afford to live.
when i was in OC Ca. there was lots of conservatives living in Irvine and Mission Viejo...can you afford to live there?
I live in Fairfax County. I can afford to live anywhere. OC is shedding conservatives these days. I guess it's too expensive.
thats not why they are leaving dumbass....

While conservatives bash and trash Seattle for having high property values, which I don't think high real estate values always such a bad thing, Seattle is trying to do something about it.

Seattle is investing 110 million dollars to build nearly 2000 affordable housing units.

Those buildings will include childcare and healthcare centers for seniors.

It's easy to trash people and cities but not so easy to actually do something about it. I don't hear or read any reports of this happening in red states but then, housing and real estate isn't very expensive in red states. It's cheap to live in a red state because not many people want to live there.

City of Seattle invests $110 million to create nearly 2,000 affordable housing units
those seem like some pretty cheap units...and you say the red states are cheap?...

This is for low income people. Also for homeless. It's meant to have lower rents so that those with low income or homeless can live there.

The cost of living in Seattle and the whole area is high compared to other places.

The far right radical extremists have been bashing Seattle for it for a while now. Some idiot at Sinclair news wrote an article full of lies or exaggerations about homeless and Seattle. They titled it Seattle is Dying. Which it isn't. Which is the reason why it's expensive to live here compared to other places especially red states.
and like someone here said.....public housing....which never turns out very good for the area...

Wonder how long it will be before we start seeing stories like this in Seattle ?

Oracle will move its annual OpenWorld conference to Las Vegas because San Francisco is too expensive

• Oracle is moving its annual OpenWorld conference from San Francisco to Las Vegas and it signed a three-year agreement with the Caesars Forum for the move.
  • The San Francisco Travel Association estimates the move will cost San Francisco $64 million a year.
  • The travel group told members that Oracle cited San Francisco’s high hotel prices and “poor street conditions” as reasons that attendees were unhappy with the city.

Daisy Ridley Attacks Trump Prior To ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Release – Comicbookhype

I think it's sad that people have a problem with Seattle actually doing something about the homeless and low income people in our city.

You people just don't like the fact that Seattle is taking away your one and only gripe about the city.

I don't read about any red state doing anything about the homeless and low income people in their cities.

Heaven forbid that the city do something about the problem and use tax dollars to find a solution. Tax dollars are for everyone. Not just the filthy rich who don't need any help.

I think it's sad that people have a problem with Seattle actually doing something about the homeless and low income people in our city.

You people just don't like the fact that Seattle is taking away your one and only gripe about the city.

I don't read about any red state doing anything about the homeless and low income people in their cities.

Heaven forbid that the city do something about the problem and use tax dollars to find a solution. Tax dollars are for everyone. Not just the filthy rich who don't need any help.

What has been the end result of every low-income housing project? The inhabitants have no skin in the game so they don't care, in fact, they take it for granted and EXPECT someone else to maintain the property.

This is a stereotypical project of the far-left Progressives. They will not measure for results but will pat themselves mightly on the back, then turn and walk away leaving it to go to heck in a handbasket. Why questioned later, the far-left will say that the only thing that went wrong was that not enough taxpayer money was spent.

While conservatives bash and trash Seattle for having high property values, which I don't think high real estate values always such a bad thing, Seattle is trying to do something about it.

Seattle is investing 110 million dollars to build nearly 2000 affordable housing units.

Those buildings will include childcare and healthcare centers for seniors.

It's easy to trash people and cities but not so easy to actually do something about it. I don't hear or read any reports of this happening in red states but then, housing and real estate isn't very expensive in red states. It's cheap to live in a red state because not many people want to live there.

City of Seattle invests $110 million to create nearly 2,000 affordable housing units

Housing projects for the destitute have been done elsewhere already

In St. Louis, MO, the housing project where the fighting Spinks brothers were raised, was leveled within just a few years.

Has Seattle budgeted anything for the demolition of this doomed project yet?

I'd recommend that the Seattle government have a group viewing of the classic New Jack City so they know how it will turn out.

Forum List

Back