Search Engine Censorship Test Results: Find Out Which Search Engine Is The Least Censored

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
An amazing result.

I ran a few searches on Yandex, one asking 'russian ukraine invasion failures' and it gave me articles based on Western sources.

After hearing the unfortunate news that DuckDuckGo had deranked The Gateway Pundit from its search results, and announcing that it was going to start censoring ā€œRussian disinformationā€, I decided to test some alternative search engines to see how they compared against Google and Bing results.

The results were pretty shocking to me. Hereā€™s a summary grid showing the highlights, but itā€™s worth reading the test results because this snapshot doesnā€™t tell the whole story.

• Google: passed 2 out of 10 tests.
  • Bing: passed 7 out of 10 tests.
  • DuckDuckGo: passed 5 out of 10 tests.
  • Brave: passed 4 out of 10 tests.
  • Qwant: passed 5 out of 10 tests.
  • Startpage: passed 1 out of 10 tests.
  • Mojeek: passed 6 out of 10 tests.
  • Yandex: passed 9 out of 10 tests.
  • ResultHunter 3 out of 10 tests.
The clear winner, by a MASSIVE margin, was Yandex. Not only did it pass the tests, it passed them with the highest quality results out of any of the search engines. I found Bing, DuckDuckGo, Qwant and Mojeek managed to squeak by with poor quality results. Itā€™s almost as if they just delisted or deranked the major conservative news sites, but didnā€™t want to return MSM sources because they knew the query terms didnā€™t fit the MSM narrative, so all they had left to serve me were obscure sites.

I also tried out the search engine Dogpile separately, which got roughly the same results as Qwant. Itā€™s not nearly as good as Yandex. The other nice thing about Yandex is that it includes buttons to Bing and Google at the bottom of its results so that you can instantly duplicate your query on either of those search engines without having to retype it.

You can set Yandex as your default search engine in the Brave browser by going to the ā€œSettingsā€ ā†’ ā€œSearch Engineā€ ā†’ ā€œManage search engines and site searchā€, then hitting the ā€œAddā€ button and entering ā€œYandexā€ in the search engine field, ā€œ:yā€ in the shortcut field and ā€œYandex&lang=enā€ in the search URL field, then selecting the entry and setting it as the ā€œdefaultā€ which will add it to the search engine list.

If you find that Yandex is returning too many Russian language results, you can use the advanced tab next to the search button and make it return English only results. Adding ā€œ&lang=enā€ to the end of the query URL will return English only results.

Iā€™ve found I had to delete all the other search engines in Brave because Brave kept randomly choosing a different one for some reason. The Brave browser is still my favorite browser though, I highly recommend it. Very high privacy protections, great ad blocking and it has a built-in Tor enabled private browser.

The tests I ran and results are listed below. Keep in mind that your results may vary from mine because some search engines track your preferences, search history and location to customize your results.

Update: I added ResultHunter to the list. I think some of these search engines like DDG, ResultHunter and Mojeek may be using a Bing search engine API as their back end and then re-prioritizing results, but Iā€™m not sure on that. I donā€™t think ResultHunter is censoring things themselves. I think itā€™s being fed censored data from the backend and its query priorities need fine tuning.

...​

Thanks Comrade

Yandex LLC (Russian: ŠÆŠ½Š“ŠµŠŗс) is a Russian multinational technology company[5]providing Internet-related products and services, including an Internet search engine, information services, e-commerce, transportation, maps and navigation, mobile applications, and online advertising.[6][2] It primarily serves audiences in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States of the former Soviet Union,[7] and has more than 30 offices worldwide.[8]

Thanks Comrade

Yandex LLC (Russian: ŠÆŠ½Š“ŠµŠŗс) is a Russian multinational technology company[5]providing Internet-related products and services, including an Internet search engine, information services, e-commerce, transportation, maps and navigation, mobile applications, and online advertising.[6][2] It primarily serves audiences in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States of the former Soviet Union,[7] and has more than 30 offices worldwide.[8]
iu

Thanks Comrade

Not only are you a lousy troll, but you also have reading comprehension problems.

An amazing result.

I ran a few searches on Yandex, one asking 'russian ukraine invasion failures' and it gave me articles based on Western sources.

After hearing the unfortunate news that DuckDuckGo had deranked The Gateway Pundit from its search results, and announcing that it was going to start censoring ā€œRussian disinformationā€, I decided to test some alternative search engines to see how they compared against Google and Bing results.​
The results were pretty shocking to me. Hereā€™s a summary grid showing the highlights, but itā€™s worth reading the test results because this snapshot doesnā€™t tell the whole story.​
The clear winner, by a MASSIVE margin, was Yandex. Not only did it pass the tests, it passed them with the highest quality results out of any of the search engines. I found Bing, DuckDuckGo, Qwant and Mojeek managed to squeak by with poor quality results. Itā€™s almost as if they just delisted or deranked the major conservative news sites, but didnā€™t want to return MSM sources because they knew the query terms didnā€™t fit the MSM narrative, so all they had left to serve me were obscure sites.​
I also tried out the search engine Dogpile separately, which got roughly the same results as Qwant. Itā€™s not nearly as good as Yandex. The other nice thing about Yandex is that it includes buttons to Bing and Google at the bottom of its results so that you can instantly duplicate your query on either of those search engines without having to retype it.​
You can set Yandex as your default search engine in the Brave browser by going to the ā€œSettingsā€ ā†’ ā€œSearch Engineā€ ā†’ ā€œManage search engines and site searchā€, then hitting the ā€œAddā€ button and entering ā€œYandexā€ in the search engine field, ā€œ:yā€ in the shortcut field and ā€œYandex&lang=enā€ in the search URL field, then selecting the entry and setting it as the ā€œdefaultā€ which will add it to the search engine list.​
If you find that Yandex is returning too many Russian language results, you can use the advanced tab next to the search button and make it return English only results. Adding ā€œ&lang=enā€ to the end of the query URL will return English only results.​
Iā€™ve found I had to delete all the other search engines in Brave because Brave kept randomly choosing a different one for some reason. The Brave browser is still my favorite browser though, I highly recommend it. Very high privacy protections, great ad blocking and it has a built-in Tor enabled private browser.​
The tests I ran and results are listed below. Keep in mind that your results may vary from mine because some search engines track your preferences, search history and location to customize your results.
Update: I added ResultHunter to the list. I think some of these search engines like DDG, ResultHunter and Mojeek may be using a Bing search engine API as their back end and then re-prioritizing results, but Iā€™m not sure on that. I donā€™t think ResultHunter is censoring things themselves. I think itā€™s being fed censored data from the backend and its query priorities need fine tuning.​
...​

Thanks for this. Anybody who is searching with a goal of finding out what the truth is needs ALL of these search engines, especially Yandex. Those who are just searching for stuff that validates what they want the truth to be can just use Google. Anybody who objects to Yandex is not looking for the truth, they are looking for what they want the truth to be.

I've used Startpage.com for over a decade.

That it received the lowest score by the nobody who wrote the article only reinforces why I do. lol...

I've used Startpage.com for over a decade.

That it received the lowest score by the nobody who wrote the article only reinforces why I do. lol...

An amazing result.

After hearing the unfortunate news that DuckDuckGo had deranked The Gateway Pundit from its search results, and announcing that it was going to start censoring ā€œRussian disinformationā€, I decided to test some alternative search engines to see how they compared against Google and Bing results.​
The results were pretty shocking to me. Hereā€™s a summary grid showing the highlights, but itā€™s worth reading the test results because this snapshot doesnā€™t tell the whole story.​
The clear winner, by a MASSIVE margin, was Yandex. Not only did it pass the tests, it passed them with the highest quality results out of any of the search engines. I found Bing, DuckDuckGo, Qwant and Mojeek managed to squeak by with poor quality results. Itā€™s almost as if they just delisted or deranked the major conservative news sites, but didnā€™t want to return MSM sources because they knew the query terms didnā€™t fit the MSM narrative, so all they had left to serve me were obscure sites.​
I also tried out the search engine Dogpile separately, which got roughly the same results as Qwant. Itā€™s not nearly as good as Yandex. The other nice thing about Yandex is that it includes buttons to Bing and Google at the bottom of its results so that you can instantly duplicate your query on either of those search engines without having to retype it.​
You can set Yandex as your default search engine in the Brave browser by going to the ā€œSettingsā€ ā†’ ā€œSearch Engineā€ ā†’ ā€œManage search engines and site searchā€, then hitting the ā€œAddā€ button and entering ā€œYandexā€ in the search engine field, ā€œ:yā€ in the shortcut field and ā€œYandex&lang=enā€ in the search URL field, then selecting the entry and setting it as the ā€œdefaultā€ which will add it to the search engine list.​
If you find that Yandex is returning too many Russian language results, you can use the advanced tab next to the search button and make it return English only results. Adding ā€œ&lang=enā€ to the end of the query URL will return English only results.​
Iā€™ve found I had to delete all the other search engines in Brave because Brave kept randomly choosing a different one for some reason. The Brave browser is still my favorite browser though, I highly recommend it. Very high privacy protections, great ad blocking and it has a built-in Tor enabled private browser.​
Update: I added ResultHunter to the list. I think some of these search engines like DDG, ResultHunter and Mojeek may be using a Bing search engine API as their back end and then re-prioritizing results, but Iā€™m not sure on that. I donā€™t think ResultHunter is censoring things themselves. I think itā€™s being fed censored data from the backend and its query priorities need fine tuning.​
...​

Thanks for this information. I had gotten rid of Google years ago. Bing is too "connected" the Silicon Valley. DuckDuckGo went "woke." So I've been using Qwant lately and they suck big time. I just downloaded Yandex and will hope for the best.

Forum List

Back