SCOTUS Justice Ginsburg Calls U.S. Constitution a Bad Example

There's already a topic on this where everyone got worked up before learning what she was actually talking about.

There's already a topic on this where everyone got worked up before learning what she was actually talking about.

What was she talking about?

16.1262878792.uss-constitution.jpg

Yeah....I figured the OP was misleading. And what do you know....I was right.

Not misleading at all. She said we have an old constitution which she wouldn't look to if drafting a constitution today. Infer what you may but she followed that by pointing to South Africa's constitution as a better model for 2012.

No offense, but Canada has their shit more together than the US.

Yeah....I figured the OP was misleading. And what do you know....I was right.

Not misleading at all. She said we have an old constitution which she wouldn't look to if drafting a constitution today. Infer what you may but she followed that by pointing to South Africa's constitution as a better model for 2012.

Our own Constitution had to be much amended to include human rights, I am sure more modern constitutions have them written right in there, also I think she was mostly talking about the process of drafting a constitution.

It’s misleading in that Justice Ginsburg didn’t use the words ‘bad example’; rather:
I would not look to the US constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012.

Correct.

The US Constitution exists in the context of its case law, developed over the last 221 years. A new democracy wishing to ensure the rights of its people would require a founding document incorporating the principles currently found in our Constitution from the outset.

It’s idiocy, therefore, to advocate Justice Gindburg be ‘removed from this office,’ or to imply she ‘doesn’t believe in the Constitution.’

The article and thread have to do with Justice Ginsburg’s appointment by a democratic president, not her comments concerning a new nation’s constitution.

It’s misleading in that Justice Ginsburg didn’t use the words ‘bad example’; rather:
I would not look to the US constitution, if I were drafting a constitution in the year 2012.

Correct.

The US Constitution exists in the context of its case law, developed over the last 221 years. A new democracy wishing to ensure the rights of its people would require a founding document incorporating the principles currently found in our Constitution from the outset.

It’s idiocy, therefore, to advocate Justice Gindburg be ‘removed from this office,’ or to imply she ‘doesn’t believe in the Constitution.’

The article and thread have to do with Justice Ginsburg’s appointment by a democratic president, not her comments concerning a new nation’s constitution.

How should the BoR be amended?

Correct.

How should the BoR be amended?

the bill of rights are the first ten amendments to the constitution

you'll learn that next year in freshman civics

It was drafted in 1789 and it did recognize slavery and define indians as non citizens.

However, despite its flaws, I see it as the best thing out there.

But a lot of things I think are great about it, she probably does not.

Forum List

Back