Scott Brown (R-MA) Introduces legislation to prohibit congress from insider trading

Do You Support Scott Brown's (R-MA) Bill

• Yes

Votes: 38 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Agreed, since Brown introduced the bill after his initial election. Obama is calling for it before his current re-election run.

couldn't possibly be because elizabeth warren is kicking his butt, now, could it?

:rolleyes:

not particularly.

it's not gonna be a cakewalk for ms warren

there's a reason obama didn't try to appoint her

i thought it was because she resigned before the recess appointment could be made.

what i find odd, though, is the huge disparity between polls. i actually just checked based on what you said and i don't think i've ever seen that kind of a gap from poll to poll.

Yes, he was. But Brown wasn't.

Agreed, since Brown introduced the bill after his initial election. Obama is calling for it before his current re-election run.

couldn't possibly be because elizabeth warren is kicking his butt, now, could it?

The current bill is based on the one Scott Brown introduced in November 2011, BEFORE Obama mentioned it in the SOTU message.

Oh, and at the time, they were essentially tied... she was not kicking anything.
Brown, Warren Virtually Tied in Herald Poll - Hotline On Call - Hotline On Call]
October 3, 2011... Brown leads Warren, 41 percent to 38 percent in the poll; the three-point spread is within the survey's margin of error.

The current bill is based on the one Scott Brown introduced in November 2011, BEFORE Obama mentioned it in the SOTU message.

Oh, and at the time, they were essentially tied... she was not kicking anything.
Brown, Warren Virtually Tied in Herald Poll - Hotline On Call - Hotline On Call]
October 3, 2011... Brown leads Warren, 41 percent to 38 percent in the poll; the three-point spread is within the survey's margin of error.

but AFTER Elizabeth Warren announced she was running against him.

yes?

thanks.

Yes, he was. But Brown wasn't.

Brown talked about it during his campaign, so I don't see why you think it's because of Warren.

Could be that Brown is one of those rare people - an honest man in DC. I appreciate the inconvenience that might cause the left, but it could just be that. He's been bi-partisan, worked well with both sides. I fail to see why the left are not happy with him.... or his (damned fine) bill.

yes?

thanks.

So...

you've gone from 'he did it because she was kicking his butt'...

and downgraded it to 'he did it because she was running against him'.

yes?

thanks.

not particularly.

i thought it was because she resigned before the recess appointment could be made.

what i find odd, though, is the huge disparity between polls. i actually just checked based on what you said and i don't think i've ever seen that kind of a gap from poll to poll.

her past will catch up with her, imo.

it's tough to cast yourself as an advocate for the little people when you advise insurance companies on how not to pay legitimate claims via bankruptcy.

we're a deep blue state, so you never know

The STOCK Act was originally introduced in the 109th session of the House of Representatives on Mar. 28, 2006 by Brian Baird (D-WA) and Louise Slaughter (D-NY) where it died in committee. It was reintroduced in the 110th (May 16, 2007) and 111th (Jan. 26, 2009) House sessions where it also died in committee.

On Mar. 17, 2011, Tim Walz (D-MN) introduced the STOCK Act into the 112th House session where it gained one co-sponsor and was referred to various committees. Eight more co-sponsors joined by Nov. 4, 2011.

On Nov. 13, 2011, 60 Minutes reported that several members of Congress allegedly used insider information for personal gain. The STOCK Act received 84 additional House co-sponsors in the five days following the report, and Scott Brown (R-MA) filed the STOCK Act in the Senate on Nov. 15, 2011. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) also filed a variation of the STOCK Act in the Senate on Nov. 17, 2011.

On Dec. 6, 2011, House Financial Services Chairman Spencer Bachus (R-AL) scheduled a markup of the STOCK Act for Dec. 14, 2011. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) indefinitely postponed the markup session on Dec. 7, 2011, stating that "a large group of bipartisan members of the committee felt the legislation was flawed and being recklessly moved solely in response to media pressure. Members of both sides of the aisle wanted more time to gather information and develop appropriate alternatives.” Congressman Walter Jones (R-NC) described Cantor’s move as "absolutely unacceptable” and "petty,” while Congresswoman Louise Slaughter (D-NY) stated that "last week we passed a bill worth hundreds of billions of dollars with less than a two day layover and no one knew what was in it. This bill has been around for six years.”

On Dec. 13, 2011, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee advanced the STOCK Act by a vote of 7-2. Senators Tom Coburn (R-OK) and Ron Johnson (R-WI) dissented, calling the bill "unnecessary and rife with potential unintended consequences." Senator John McCain (R-AZ) also opposed the bill, but was absent from the vote.

On Jan. 24, 2012, in his State of the Union Address, President Obama said "Send me a bill that bans insider trading by members of Congress, and I will sign it tomorrow.” Immediately after the speech, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) told reporters, "I think people should have enough sense not to do it [insider trading] without legislation, but I will support legislation.” On Jan. 26, 2012, Senator Reid scheduled a cloture vote [a vote to end debate on a pending bill and move to a final passage vote] on the STOCK Act for Jan. 30, 2012.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...gressional-insider-trading-2.html#post4426555

not particularly.

Yeah its not going to be an easy race for either one of them to win.

One thing Scott Brown has going for him is that when Warren tries to use the "class warfare wall-street" attacks on Brown he can say "I co sponsored a partisan bill that the president signed that attacked one of the many problems in this area"

She can try to use the wall-street class warfare stuff on brown but if she does she will look dishonest and desperate to anyone paying attention.

The STOCK Act was originally introduced in the 109th session of the House of Representatives on Mar. 28, 2006 by Brian Baird (D-WA) and Louise Slaughter (D-NY) where it died in committee. It was reintroduced in the 110th (May 16, 2007) and 111th (Jan. 26, 2009) House sessions where it also died in committee.

On Mar. 17, 2011, Tim Walz (D-MN) introduced the STOCK Act into the 112th House session where it gained one co-sponsor and was referred to various committees. Eight more co-sponsors joined by Nov. 4, 2011.

On Nov. 13, 2011, 60 Minutes reported that several members of Congress allegedly used insider information for personal gain. The STOCK Act received 84 additional House co-sponsors in the five days following the report, and Scott Brown (R-MA) filed the STOCK Act in the Senate on Nov. 15, 2011. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) also filed a variation of the STOCK Act in the Senate on Nov. 17, 2011.

On Dec. 6, 2011, House Financial Services Chairman Spencer Bachus (R-AL) scheduled a markup of the STOCK Act for Dec. 14, 2011. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) indefinitely postponed the markup session on Dec. 7, 2011, stating that "a large group of bipartisan members of the committee felt the legislation was flawed and being recklessly moved solely in response to media pressure. Members of both sides of the aisle wanted more time to gather information and develop appropriate alternatives.” Congressman Walter Jones (R-NC) described Cantor’s move as "absolutely unacceptable” and "petty,” while Congresswoman Louise Slaughter (D-NY) stated that "last week we passed a bill worth hundreds of billions of dollars with less than a two day layover and no one knew what was in it. This bill has been around for six years.”

On Dec. 13, 2011, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee advanced the STOCK Act by a vote of 7-2. Senators Tom Coburn (R-OK) and Ron Johnson (R-WI) dissented, calling the bill "unnecessary and rife with potential unintended consequences." Senator John McCain (R-AZ) also opposed the bill, but was absent from the vote.

On Jan. 24, 2012, in his State of the Union Address, President Obama said "Send me a bill that bans insider trading by members of Congress, and I will sign it tomorrow.” Immediately after the speech, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) told reporters, "I think people should have enough sense not to do it [insider trading] without legislation, but I will support legislation.” On Jan. 26, 2012, Senator Reid scheduled a cloture vote [a vote to end debate on a pending bill and move to a final passage vote] on the STOCK Act for Jan. 30, 2012.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...gressional-insider-trading-2.html#post4426555

LOL they forgot to mention who authored the bill.... Revised STOCK Act, co-authored by US Sen. Scott Brown, to receive Senate vote | masslive.com

yes?

thanks.

So...

yes?

thanks.

actually, i rephased based upon new information.

it might be helpful to you to learn to do that to, though i know it's anathema to rightwingnuts.

i was also pointing out that pretending it had nothing to do with elizabeth warren's campaign is a lie.

so there ya go.

Last edited:
not particularly.

her past will catch up with her, imo.

it's tough to cast yourself as an advocate for the little people when you advise insurance companies on how not to pay legitimate claims via bankruptcy.

we're a deep blue state, so you never know

The deep blue didn't stop us from re-electing Teddy Kennedy after he murdered mary-joe in chappaquiddick so, as del said, we never know!

Go Senator Brown! This bill should have no problem passing and I think both sides of the aisle can support it.

If you don't support the bill lets discuss why.

Senate to hear Scott Brown insider trading bill - BostonHerald.com

A day after U.S. Sen. Scott Brown filed a bill to prohibit insider trading in Congress, a key Senate committee has agreed to hold a public hearing on the measure.

The Massachusetts Republican’s bill would bar members or employees of Congress and the executive branch from using nonpublic information obtained through their public service for the purpose of investing for personal financial gain.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs announced Wednesday that the committee would hold a hearing to examine how insider trading laws apply to Congress.

Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, said the hearing was also sparked by a report by CBS’ "60 Minutes" and is intended to clarify the laws and rules that govern members of Congress who may profit from non-public information

Good for him. It'll never see the light of day, but good for him none the less.

It will if you quit being a goddamned defeatist bed wetter. Write your congressman. get off your ass and do some work for this instead of being a fucking pansy.
I'm sick and tired of seeing this kind of shit from Americans.

Go Senator Brown! This bill should have no problem passing and I think both sides of the aisle can support it.

If you don't support the bill lets discuss why.

Senate to hear Scott Brown insider trading bill - BostonHerald.com

Good for him. It'll never see the light of day, but good for him none the less.

It will if you quit being a goddamned defeatist bed wetter. Write your congressman. get off your ass and do some work for this instead of being a fucking pansy.
I'm sick and tired of seeing this kind of shit from Americans.

Obama says if Harry Reid sends him Scott Brown's bill he will sign it, we just needed to get Reid to find it in the stack of 40 or so stalled republican bills he has on his desk....

Harry Reid, king of the do nothing senate!

yes?

thanks.

So...

yes?

thanks.

actually, i rephased based upon new information.

it might be helpful to you to learn to do that to, though i know it's anathema to rightwingnuts.

i was also pointing out that pretending it had nothing to do with elizabeth warren's campaign is a lie.

so there ya go.

In other words, rather than reading the dates in the OP, you just assumed it is a new bill, just like rdean, and jumped to a partisan conclusion.

LOL they forgot to mention who authored the bill.... Revised STOCK Act, co-authored by US Sen. Scott Brown, to receive Senate vote | masslive.com

wow, you forgot to mention that gillibrand also co-authored the bill, as the revised STOCK act is a compromise of the bills introduced by brown and gillibrand, merged by the committee.

Since the report and public outcry, several politicians, including Brown and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., whose revisions were merged as a compromise by the committee, have taken interest in the issue and the bill, which now has 232 co-sponsors.

Brown introduced the bill in November because Warren is ahead in the polls now? IS Brown psychic?

You didn't know....Brown's psychic prowess is how he tricked MA voters into electing him into, what local dems call, "ted kennedy's seat"

I like to call it drunk driving murdering asshole's seat.....describes the same person ;).

wow, you forgot to mention that gillibrand also co-authored the bill, as the revised STOCK act is a compromise of the bills introduced by brown and gillibrand, merged by the committee.

Since the report and public outcry, several politicians, including Brown and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., whose revisions were merged as a compromise by the committee, have taken interest in the issue and the bill, which now has 232 co-sponsors.

do you see what my link says? Co-authored is right in it :lmao: don't be a hack :lmao:

Forum List

Back