Scientists Discover Earth Size Planet

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Scientists discover a nearly Earth-sized planet

I love stuff like this!

HATFIELD, England – In the search for Earth-like planets, astronomers zeroed in Tuesday on two places that look awfully familiar to home. One is close to the right size. The other is in the right place. European researchers said they not only found the smallest exoplanet ever, called Gliese 581 e, but realized that a neighboring planet discovered earlier, Gliese 581 d, was in the prime habitable zone for potential life.

"The Holy Grail of current exoplanet research is the detection of a rocky, Earth-like planet in the 'habitable zone,'" said Michel Mayor, an astrophysicist at Geneva University in Switzerland.

That is great news. Given what we now know concerning abiogenisis, it is almost certain that there will be other life out there. Unfortunately, at my age, I will not be here to see the discovery of it.

Bring back memories of Niven's 'Tales of the Known Universe'.

That is great news. Given what we now know concerning abiogenisis, it is almost certain that there will be other life out there. Unfortunately, at my age, I will not be here to see the discovery of it.

Yeah, my 13 year old daughter was really excited about hearing about this.

Maybe in her time?

It's amazing all the things we DON'T know, even here on Earth. The deepest part of the ocean is another thing that is fascinating to me, what lurks down in those depths..........

The title is misleading, the important part isn't the size being close to earth, it all depends on the solar system the planet is in and it's location within the solar system, there are many more factors. But it's cool what we can find when we keep looking.

Yeah, my 13 year old daughter was really excited about hearing about this.

Maybe in her time?

It's amazing all the things we DON'T know, even here on Earth. The deepest part of the ocean is another thing that is fascinating to me, what lurks down in those depths..........

One of the most amazing discoveries in that area was when they first started exploring the rift zones, and discovered the wonderful life that inhabits those areas. Were we to spend, as a specie, a tithe of the money that we spend on devising ingenious ways to kill each other, on scientific research, we would be so much richer.

I love stuff like this!

HATFIELD, England – In the search for Earth-like planets, astronomers zeroed in Tuesday on two places that look awfully familiar to home. One is close to the right size. The other is in the right place. European researchers said they not only found the smallest exoplanet ever, called Gliese 581 e, but realized that a neighboring planet discovered earlier, Gliese 581 d, was in the prime habitable zone for potential life.

"The Holy Grail of current exoplanet research is the detection of a rocky, Earth-like planet in the 'habitable zone,'" said Michel Mayor, an astrophysicist at Geneva University in Switzerland.

Bitchin'!

I love stuff like this!

Awesome! You and your daughter should join a local astronomy club if you haven't already. I started going to star parties at the age of 12 and have been hooked ever since. The only reason I didn't go into astrophysics was because the job opportunities for solid state physics were better. (Silly reason, I know.) One of the best 'dates' I ever had with my wife was in the wee hours of the morning watching the perseid meteor shower. And my son is looking forward to the return of Halley's comet after I told him about the time I saw it in 1986. Great stuff!

Forum List

Back