A wandering planet detected not far from Earth

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Astronomers have detected a floating planet, sailing without a parent star, just 100 light-years from Earth. It’s the closest we’ve ever detected.

evenements_eso1245a-573a.jpeg

This floating planet is 100 light years away from Earth. It may have been ejected from its system. ESO/L. Calçada/P. Delorme/Nick Risinger (skysurvey.org)/R. Saito/VVV Consortium.

As part of a systematic survey of brown dwarfs — these aborted stars more than 13 times the mass of Jupiter — conducted with the Very Large Telescope (Chile) and the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (Hawaii), astronomers came across CFBDSIR2149.

The light emitted by this star did not correspond to that of a classic brown dwarf, says Philippe Delorme, of the Grenoble Observatory of Universe Sciences and the first author of the discovery. It was much colder: only 430°C versus 650°C usually, which led us to believe that it was small.”

4 to 7 times more massive than Jupiter .

To determine its mass more precisely, the team had to know its age. Indeed, as the planets cool down over time, an object appears bright either because it is young or because it is massive. Therefore, for a given luminosity, the younger an object, the less massive it is.

However, we realized that CFBDSIR2149 was very likely (95%) part of the AB Doradus star current and that it therefore displayed the same age as its component stars (all born at the same time): between 50 and 120 million years, explains the researcher. From this parameter, we deduced its mass: between 4 and 7 times that of Jupiter, much less than the least massive of brown dwarfs, we were indeed dealing with a planet.”

Methane and water vapour in its atmosphere

This is not the first time astronomers have gotten their hands on a floating planet. But all those that have been detected so far (mostly in clusters) were 3 to 5 times more distant than CFBDSIR2149, says Philippe Delorme. With this one, we got much better data, such as identifying methane and water vapour in its atmosphere.”

A planet ejected from its system?

At present, it is impossible to know how CFBDSIR2149 was formed. “Either it was born by the collapse of a lump of gas, like a star, or it formed like a planet, by accretion of small planetesimals within a system, and was then ejected from that system,” the researcher continues.

The latter scenario is quite plausible: models show that the ejection phenomenon is relatively common in the galaxy and that a planet may have paid the price in our own Solar System .

400 billion floating planets in the Milky Way

Work based on the detection of planets by microlenses has shown that floating planets are twice as numerous as stars (listen to our podcast "Exoplanets by hundreds of billions").

In our galaxy, there are 400 billion wandering planets.

After the translate i give you the link in French where the subject came from.

Une planète errante détectée non loin de la Terre

Astronomers have detected a floating planet, sailing without a parent star, just 100 light-years from Earth. It’s the closest we’ve ever detected.

This floating planet is 100 light years away from Earth. It may have been ejected from its system. ESO/L. Calçada/P. Delorme/Nick Risinger (skysurvey.org)/R. Saito/VVV Consortium.

As part of a systematic survey of brown dwarfs — these aborted stars more than 13 times the mass of Jupiter — conducted with the Very Large Telescope (Chile) and the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (Hawaii), astronomers came across CFBDSIR2149.

The light emitted by this star did not correspond to that of a classic brown dwarf, says Philippe Delorme, of the Grenoble Observatory of Universe Sciences and the first author of the discovery. It was much colder: only 430°C versus 650°C usually, which led us to believe that it was small.”

To determine its mass more precisely, the team had to know its age. Indeed, as the planets cool down over time, an object appears bright either because it is young or because it is massive. Therefore, for a given luminosity, the younger an object, the less massive it is.

However, we realized that CFBDSIR2149 was very likely (95%) part of the AB Doradus star current and that it therefore displayed the same age as its component stars (all born at the same time): between 50 and 120 million years, explains the researcher. From this parameter, we deduced its mass: between 4 and 7 times that of Jupiter, much less than the least massive of brown dwarfs, we were indeed dealing with a planet.”

This is not the first time astronomers have gotten their hands on a floating planet. But all those that have been detected so far (mostly in clusters) were 3 to 5 times more distant than CFBDSIR2149, says Philippe Delorme. With this one, we got much better data, such as identifying methane and water vapour in its atmosphere.”

At present, it is impossible to know how CFBDSIR2149 was formed. “Either it was born by the collapse of a lump of gas, like a star, or it formed like a planet, by accretion of small planetesimals within a system, and was then ejected from that system,” the researcher continues.

The latter scenario is quite plausible: models show that the ejection phenomenon is relatively common in the galaxy and that a planet may have paid the price in our own Solar System .

Work based on the detection of planets by microlenses has shown that floating planets are twice as numerous as stars (listen to our podcast "Exoplanets by hundreds of billions").

Those 400 billion planets are each run by a single mormon"gawd"

Those 400 billion planets are each run by a single mormon"gawd"

Sorry, Bubba. I already claimed the planet for Wisconsin. Since it has an atmosphere of methane and we already have lots of cows, nobody here will mind.

Get your own planet.

Geez. You'd think that Chile could have come up with something more scientific-sounding than the "Very Large Telescope."
:laughing0301:

In the name of the United States of America and the great State of Wisconsin, I hereby do lay claim to this new planet.
You're nothing but a giddam methane hawg!

Geez. You'd think that Chile could have come up with something more scientific-sounding than the "Very Large Telescope."

In the name of the United States of America and the great State of Wisconsin, I hereby do lay claim to this new planet.
Never been to Chile eh ? It's no a brain trust. esta telecopio es muy,muy,muy fuerte y grandisimo tambien. Welding is solder,soldering is soldering,soldar con bronce is brazing.A llave is anything made out of metal and a tabacon is any green plant with leaves larger than grass !

This guy beat you to it.

Ming+the+Merciless.jpg

Not scared of that guy. What's he gonna do, infect me with another bat virus or something?

I'm immune haha.

I think you're referring to Iowa, that's where they raise the pigs. I dated a couple of them myself, so I know.

...how did it get ejected?
.....what's the purpose of all those planets and galaxies that many we can't even see with telescopes?

Democrats, upon hearing of the new planet, have sent millions of mail in ballots for the upcoming election

CNN reports that the Planet overwhelmingly supports Biden, (it is blue after all) and they have also moved to make it a state by next years end.

I think you're referring to Iowa, that's where they raise the pigs. I dated a couple of them myself, so I know.

Funny, that's what your dates said about you.;)

The Nibiruans beat you to it.

...how did it get ejected?
.....what's the purpose of all those planets and galaxies that many we can't even see with telescopes?
So the goddam telescopes will have job and an incentive to improve!

The Nibiruans beat you to it.
We haven't played cowboys and Nibiruans yet.

The Bible states to show the glory of God.

SPOILERS!!!
If you want an atheist explanation, then read 2001: A Space Odyssey or watch the movie. Both similar, but very different endings. If you still don't get it, then come back and I'll explain.
The similarities are you end up as a star child.

The Bible states to show the glory of God.

SPOILERS!!!
If you want an atheist explanation, then read 2001: A Space Odyssey or watch the movie. Both similar, but very different endings. If you still don't get it, then come back and I'll explain.
The similarities are you end up as a star child.
hahahahhahahaah
at least the ''atheist'' have an explanation....the creationists say ''god did it'''
hahahahahahahha

only 430°C versus 650°C usually, which led us to believe that it was small.

Water boils at 100 C. 430 C is very hot, not cold.
Was it 43.0 Kelvins? Zero Celsius is 273.15 Kelvins.
65.0 Kelvins would be cold. 650 Celsius is 1202 Fahrenheit, a fire.

only 430°C versus 650°C usually, which led us to believe that it was small.

Water boils at 100 C. 430 C is very hot, not cold.
Was it 43.0 Kelvins? Zero Celsius is 273.15 Kelvins.
65.0 Kelvins would be cold. 650 Celsius is 1202 Fahrenheit, a fire.
Sounds like that Kelvin guy was an absolute piece of work!

Forum List

Back