Finally: Science Allowed to be Science Again

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by jillian, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Whether or not someone takes a safe OTC drug should be a personal choice.... not one interfered with by government because of the religious objections of a group of people:

Kudos.... this issue and what it represents, is yet another major reason the repubs lost the support of the middle.

FDA to Approve Morning After Pill Following Fed. Court Decision - Digital Journal: Your News Network

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Already a thread on this

But.... I would agree if this were only for ADULTS.. .it is a different matter all together when it is a minor... the decision making and responsibility for a minor is in the hands of the parent... anything given, medicine wise and treatment wise, to a minor without the express consent of the parent is flat-out wrong

I may not agree with the premise of the pill.. but legally it is an option for adults... but as stated, when it comes to distribution to minors, that is a whole different ball of wax

3. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I appreciate your objection. But if you could step back for a moment... what OTC drugs are people allowed or not allowed to purchase depending on their age? (I'm not talking about safety for use... that's a separte issue).

If, as I believe is the case, the answer is ... not a single one.... then the only thing that would make this particular drug different is some "moral" objection to its intended purpose.

why do you think that has any place in distribution of safe medication?

4. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Pseudophedrine and any other drug used in the manufacturing of crystal meth.

5. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    1.. you cannot even but a freaking Sudafed without checking, ID, etc....
    2.. This is not something like a topical cream for feminine itching or a condom... this is a much deeper issue and a much bigger decision
    3... Again, treatment and medical advise given to a minor without parental approval or notification is flat out wrong
    4... beer and cigarettes are 'over the counter' too... and we do not trust minors with the decisions about those.. minors also cannot purchase over the counter items such as nicotine patches

Again... as an adult... I will not argue the legality of this... where I draw the line is for minors without parental consent

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    1. I'm not sure that's true. I'll look into it.
    2. I don't think it's a bigger decision or a deeper issue. I think that's a moral question which is a personal issue and shouldn't be the province of the FDA.
    3. I don't want girls allowing themselves to get pregnant because they're afraid to tell their mom or dad what they did the night before. I think for people who object to abortion, this is a much more benign option.
    4. if you smoke or drink, you aren't bringing an unwanted child into the world because you made a stupid mistake the night before. But again, I don't think it's province of the FDA (or government) to make that choice. I have very mixed feelings on this issue myself... but ultimately, there isn't any option for a woman who can't get the pill within a certain number of hours and doesn't want to (or can't) tell her parent or guardian what she needs.

7. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    But it's not a woman.. a woman assumes that the person is an adult.... this is about a minor getting this medical treatment

Just as I do not agree with birth control pills without parental consent... or cosmetic surgery without parental consent... or an abortion without parental consent... or any other medical treatment or consent that is not emergency, life saving in effort... I do not agree with this for minors at all

The fact is that the decisions for the minor are the responsibility for the parent, not for the minor... now if the teen is 18 and an adult, that is different... if the teen is emancipated, that is different...

Even I have been carded for purchase of Sudafed.. and my brother has been carded for buying nicotine patches

This is a larger decision than zit cream or a condom... pregnancy or possible pregnancy is a major medical issue.. it is a major decision in life, not only for the pregnant person but for the possible forming life within that pregnant person... medical decisions are weighed against personal moral issues all the time... doctors will tell you that the moral stances and beliefs of a person are an integral part in many medical decisions.... and with such a fact and the fact that the parent is responsible for the minor, to do such a thing without the input/consent of the parent is not proper...

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I understand all of that...

but if you don't want the girl to get birth control

and you don't want her to get the morning after pill

and you don't want her to have an abortion

do you really think she's NOT going to have sex?

If the answer was that she wouldn't have sex, I might agree with you.But fact is, she will, and the guy will be gone.... and she'll be stuck in a situation that she is ill-equipped to deal with. It's why the largest percentage of people on welfare are single mothers.

interrupted education
    limited assistance with child care
    unavailable job training...

= life of poverty = child growing up in poverty = an awful lot of societal problems that we could do without.

Just my feeling on the subject, though I understand your objections. I really do. As a parent, I have my own hesitation. But I know that when my son has sex I would like to know all possible options are available before the government forces him to be a father.

9. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    It is interesting the way people think. As a society, we have come to the conclusion that minors are not capable of making well informed decisions when it comes to smoking, so we do not allow minors to purchase cigarettes. As for alcohol, we, as a society have determined that young adults are not capable of making well informed decisions until they are 21. But now, society has determined that a 17 year old is capable of making a well informed decision when it comes to their ability to reproduce?

You would think that as a society we would agree that a minor who has chosen to have sex has already made a bad decision. Now we are going to allow that same person who already made a bad decision to make another difficult decision? Or is it that we believe a minor choosing to have sex is not a bad decision to begin with, therefore choosing to take the morning after pill is not relevant?

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    The problem is you're not going to get them to stop having sex...

until we get something that suppresses hormones for teens.