Article: Scientists may find life on Earth-like planets covered in oceans within the next few years

Fort Fun Indiana

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
"
Life outside our solar system may be found within just a few years, thanks to the discovery of a new class of super hot, Earth-like planets, according to astronomers from the University of Cambridge.

The Cambridge researchers identified a new class of exoplanet, called Hycean planets, that, much like Earth, are covered in oceans and have atmospheres rich with hydrogen, an element that is essential for life. Many of the planets are "bigger and hotter than Earth"— up to 2.6 times larger than our planet and reaching atmospheric temperatures up to nearly 200 degrees Celsius, or 392 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hyceans are further categorized as either "dark" or "cold," with dark worlds only having habitable conditions on their permanent night sides and cold worlds receiving just a little radiation from the stars they orbit. But researchers believe that they could support microbial lifeforms that are similar to those found in the extreme aquatic environments on Earth, and that Hycean planets are likely common throughout space. ..."

It is going to be a interesting few years in the field. Finding and classifying/understanding the "biosignatures" is a field of science just now being born.

And another thing about all this is that it's just not planets, but moons too. Hell, in our own solar system, it's possible that there could be some kind of life on Enceladus, Titan and Europa.

Trillions of potential planets that could hold life and EVEN MORE MOONS.

If we found life on a moon in our solar system, that would mean that life is everywhere.

If we found life on a moon in our solar system, that would mean that life is everywhere.
Well... Maybe. Consider a scenario:

We find life on another body in our solar system, and it is DNA based.

This would turn our scientific community upside down. Is DNA an expected result, given enough time and the right materials? Or did life form in one place, then get dispersed?

It would be crazy and anti climactic.

Well... Maybe. Consider a scenario:

We find life on another body in our solar system, and it is DNA based.

This would turn our scientific community upside down. Is DNA an expected result, given enough time and the right materials? Or did life form in one place, then get dispersed?

I've seen arguments that any life found on Mars would be questionable given its proximity to the Earth. I'd imagine if it came from that far it away it would depend on the DNA and general biological makeup. No doubt some would call it, uh, fake news.

Gawd, I hope we get the opportunity to have that conversation.

I've seen arguments that any life found on Mars would be questionable given its proximity to the Earth. I'd imagine if it came from that far it away it would depend on the DNA and general biological makeup. No doubt some would call it, uh, fake news.

Gawd, I hope we get the opportunity to have that conversation.
I agree with those arguments, in that finding life on Mars would be less compelling evidence of more than one instance of abiogenesis than would finding it outside our solar system, or on Europa.

Considerig the mathematician in me thinks it likely that life will ALWAYS tend to form unless something stops it -- and that only the most cataclysmic events could stop the process early on -- i think we will be having that conversation within the next few years, when we find biomarkers on many exoplanets.

I agree with those arguments, in that finding life on Mars would be less compelling evidence of more than one instance of abiogenesis than would finding it outside our solar system, or on Europa.

Considerig the mathematician in me thinks it likely that life will ALWAYS tend to form unless something stops it -- and that only the most cataclysmic events could stop the process early on -- i think we will be having that conversation within the next few years, when we find biomarkers on many exoplanets.
I can't wait. That's gonna be GREAT fun.

If DNA type life is found elsewhere and the amino acids have the opposite chirality - right handed are replaced by left handed - , that would prove distinct lines of abiogenesis.
It would be compelling, yes.

c6e6019b8b29b148bd1bd0475938bcd3.jpg

Lol. Wake me up when it happens.

We will not find any type of life on other planets, even exoplanets.

Yes Shaman James, we have all heard what your tea leaves and goat sacrifices have shown you.
I'm using science logic. You and your atheist scientists didn't find any abiogenesis on Earth, so why would they find it on an Earth-like exoplanet or other planet?

I'm using science logic.
You are using no logic. You have no grasp of the rules of logic nor of any terms relating to logic. You know less than nothing about science and get your late-in-life subpar education from creationer blogs. You actually have net negative knowledge about any scientific topic. You know nothing correct, and everything you think you know is wrong. Net negative knowledge.

What this means is that it would take a LOT of time and work just to elevate you to the net scientific knowledge of a newborn baby, or a moldy piece of bread, which is zero net knowledge.

You are using no logic. You have no grasp of the rules of logic nor of any terms relating to logic. You know less than nothing about science and get your late-in-life subpar education from creationer blogs. You actually have net negative knowledge about any scientific topic. You know nothing correct, and everything you think you know is wrong. Net negative knowledge.

What this means is that it would take a LOT of time and work just to elevate you to the net scientific knowledge of a newborn baby, or a moldy piece of bread, which is zero net knowledge.
I agree, but your post is a bit redundant. :)

Just as likely they are falling into the trap of creating equipment to confirm their theory without actually doing so.

Heh. Your reply just goes to show you were pwned thinking abiogenesis happens. It doesn't happen on Earth, Earth-like exoplanets, other planets or elsewhere in the universe based on creation science. When you find life from non-life on Earth or elsewhere, then I'll believe in your abiogenesis. However, your atheist science does not happen anywhere. You just believe in LIES!

You two fell off the same apple cart :laugh:. @Fort Fun Indiana believes that fake abiogenesis will happen somewhere on Earth or the universe while you think that erroneous radiometric dating shows an old Earth.
You don't believe in quantum mechanics or the theory of relativity. Those are very fundamental aspects of science, yet you come here trolling and bible thumping at a science forum.

Forum List

Back