Scientist creates worlds first genetically editet babies

Basically, there is a dude in China who claims that he was able to modify the genetic code of 2 babies that were just born using a technology called Crisper. Using that particular tech, you can cut out unwanted genetic code and modify how the embryo will develop.

Apparently, this guy claims to have done a Crisper on 2 young girls that makes them resistant to HIV, and it was done because the father was HIV positive and didn't want to pass it on to his kids.

The thing that makes this news? Because using this technology, scientists think it may be possible to edit the DNA for children with certain traits like eye color, body makeup, intelligence, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's CRISPR. Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats

What is CRISPR gene editing, and how does it work?

I think this sort of gene editing is an inevitability. The problem with this particular incident is not so much the gene editing itself, but that it was done long before many scientists and researchers in the field think the technology is ready for human embryo testing. As I understand it, CRISPR can be used on adults and the change is limited to the individual. When used on a developing embryo, however, the change may become a hereditary trait.
Yes, that's the whole point. What wrong with people inheriting resistance to HIV? What's wrong with eliminating genetic diseases from humanity?

Basically, there is a dude in China who claims that he was able to modify the genetic code of 2 babies that were just born using a technology called Crisper. Using that particular tech, you can cut out unwanted genetic code and modify how the embryo will develop.

Apparently, this guy claims to have done a Crisper on 2 young girls that makes them resistant to HIV, and it was done because the father was HIV positive and didn't want to pass it on to his kids.

The thing that makes this news? Because using this technology, scientists think it may be possible to edit the DNA for children with certain traits like eye color, body makeup, intelligence, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's CRISPR. Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats

I think this sort of gene editing is an inevitability. The problem with this particular incident is not so much the gene editing itself, but that it was done long before many scientists and researchers in the field think the technology is ready for human embryo testing. As I understand it, CRISPR can be used on adults and the change is limited to the individual. When used on a developing embryo, however, the change may become a hereditary trait.
Yes, that's the whole point. What wrong with people inheriting resistance to HIV? What's wrong with eliminating genetic diseases from humanity?

I think the issue is the possibility of unintended consequences becoming hereditary.

It may promote moar faggotry?

It probably would/will. :dunno:

As someone who has an obvious genetic birth defect which has had a significant affect on my life, this is about the worst idea I’ve ever heard i my life.

I think the issue is the possibility of unintended consequences becoming hereditary.
They can just CRISPER those consequences out from the next generation.

Gene editing is going to happen. The benefits are just to great to ignore.

It may promote moar faggotry?

It probably would/will. :dunno:
How about Spina Bifida, Juvenile Diabetes. Sickle Cell Anemia, Cystic Fibrosis?

Can they genetically modify your inability to use proper English grammar? How about editing out your inability to accept the failure of the confederate traitors in the American Civil War?

So what happens to those parents who don’t want their children’s DNA fucked with? Will this become the new version of the anti-vaccine groups?
Then their children's genes won't get edited. That sucks for them if they have the gene for Juvenile Diabetes.

Last edited:

Can they genetically modify your inability to use proper English grammar? How about editing out your inability to accept the failure of the confederate traitors in the American Civil War?
Point out the error in my grammar.

For all you people who think that gene editing is a good idea, I have a suggestion..............

Watch the movie "Gattaca", and then get back to me on that.

Then their children's genes won't get edited. That sucks for them if they have the gene for Juvenile Diabetes.

How about the genes for Sturgeon Weber Syndrome? I’ve lived with it for almost 45 years and as much as it has been a royal pain to deal with, I wouldn’t go back and change my situation even if I could. I might change some of the ways I’ve dealt with things, but not the situation.

There could be issues which cannot be easily repairedn even with crispr.

I agree with your second statement.

Um.................you might wanna provide some of your own commentary about how you feel about Crisper babies and not just a link.

Just posting a link as the OP isn't allowed under USMB rules. And, if you don't change it, a mod might come by and lock the thread for not having commentary from you.
So what is being implied is that such babies aren't overly done or burnt --- they're simply crisper?

Um.................you might wanna provide some of your own commentary about how you feel about Crisper babies and not just a link.

Just posting a link as the OP isn't allowed under USMB rules. And, if you don't change it, a mod might come by and lock the thread for not having commentary from you.
So what is being implied is that such babies aren't overly done or burnt --- they're simply crisper?
Actually this is a very serious subject requiring a lot of thought if we are to avoid a nightmare scenario making science fiction horror stories look like fairy tales.
Take for instance the idea totalitarian governments could back research into producing a strong, obedient servant/slave class or a strain of recklessly brave self sacrificing soldiers.
When Hitler showed an interest in eugenics it was only the beginning.
The human race is insane.

Forum List

Back