Scientist creates worlds first genetically editet babies

Um.................you might wanna provide some of your own commentary about how you feel about Crisper babies and not just a link.

Just posting a link as the OP isn't allowed under USMB rules. And, if you don't change it, a mod might come by and lock the thread for not having commentary from you.

Um.................you might wanna provide some of your own commentary about how you feel about Crisper babies and not just a link.

Just posting a link as the OP isn't allowed under USMB rules. And, if you don't change it, a mod might come by and lock the thread for not having commentary from you.

I added my own opinion in a comment.

Basically, there is a dude in China who claims that he was able to modify the genetic code of 2 babies that were just born using a technology called Crisper. Using that particular tech, you can cut out unwanted genetic code and modify how the embryo will develop.

Apparently, this guy claims to have done a Crisper on 2 young girls that makes them resistant to HIV, and it was done because the father was HIV positive and didn't want to pass it on to his kids.

The thing that makes this news? Because using this technology, scientists think it may be possible to edit the DNA for children with certain traits like eye color, body makeup, intelligence, etc.

Your OP is supposed to be where you make your initial comments, not later down the thread.

Might wanna edit your OP.

Your OP is supposed to be where you make your initial comments, not later down the thread.

What do you mean? I added it in the OP. I used the edit function to add a own comment.

Basically, there is a dude in China who claims that he was able to modify the genetic code of 2 babies that were just born using a technology called Crisper. Using that particular tech, you can cut out unwanted genetic code and modify how the embryo will develop.

Apparently, this guy claims to have done a Crisper on 2 young girls that makes them resistant to HIV, and it was done because the father was HIV positive and didn't want to pass it on to his kids.

The thing that makes this news? Because using this technology, scientists think it may be possible to edit the DNA for children with certain traits like eye color, body makeup, intelligence, etc.

Yeah, if they're not born all fucked up, then that will be a conversation.

I'm pretty sure it's CRISPR. Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats

What is CRISPR gene editing, and how does it work?

I think this sort of gene editing is an inevitability. The problem with this particular incident is not so much the gene editing itself, but that it was done long before many scientists and researchers in the field think the technology is ready for human embryo testing. As I understand it, CRISPR can be used on adults and the change is limited to the individual. When used on a developing embryo, however, the change may become a hereditary trait.

What do you mean? I added it in the OP. I used the edit function to add a own comment.

It just now showed up on your thread.

As far as using Crisper? Well, there are a lot of good things that can be done with it, but there are also a lot of bad things that can be done as well. Currently, we don't have a good understanding of what it is and what it can do, so I personally think that we should go slow with this research.

I mean, editing the DNA of an embryo might be good for it while it is still young, but what effects would it have on them when it grows up to be an adult? Or, what kind of effects would it have when they are old? There are lots of variables there.

And....................some might consider me a bit of a Luddite, but I don't think that we should launch into using something that we're not sure how it can work. I mean, look at what happened with Facebook and how it was compromised, and that wasn't a life, that was just a social media outlet.

The thing that makes me really wonder though, is how the right to life people are going to react to this, because under current restrictions, they can do IVF for human embryos and do research with it, but the embryos have to be destroyed after 14 days, which is the limit that they will allow the research. Right to life people think that EVERY fertilized human egg is a person.

And, while watching this on VICE News this evening, the guy hasn't published an actual paper, he's just posted a YouTube video (just before he was supposed to give a talk on this, and claimed the video was leaked), but yet, the children haven't been seen, nor has he published anything concrete that would stand up to scholarly scrutiny yet.

Here in the states, the Supreme Court has already heard cases about patenting human genes.

Mortimer! How's it going, man?

So, I guess someone has a patent on this.

Not sure if someone has a patent on this yet, but according to VICE News, China is looking at genetic modification as the next space race, and wants to stay at the front for the research.

Yeah, I'm kind of mixed on it. There's good to be had by it and then there's always the possibility of the bad. This possibility, of course, is entirely dependent on the mind of man. As you know, man is a mixture of good and evil. And what is Legal is very, very seldom Lawful. That's a deep topic there, man.

Mortimer! How's it going, man?

So, I guess someone has a patent on this.

Not sure if someone has a patent on this yet, but according to VICE News, China is looking at genetic modification as the next space race, and wants to stay at the front for the research.

Yeah, I'm kind of mixed on it. There's good to be had by it and then there's always the possibility of the bad. This possibility, of course, is entirely dependent on the mind of man. As you know, man is a mixture of good and evil. And what is Legal is very, very seldom Lawful. That's a deep topic there, man.

You know, whenever someone talks about genetic modification and the benefits of it, I always think of the movie "Gattaca", where the dude didn't have the genes to go to space, so he bought some genetic material so he could pass himself off as a better version than what his actual genes were.

Sometimes a mod will add a link for you if you forget. It'll be pot luck wih the link, though, but it's the thought that counts anyway, right?

You know, whenever someone talks about genetic modification and the benefits of it, I always think of the movie "Gattaca", where the dude didn't have the genes to go to space, so he bought some genetic material so he could pass himself off as a better version than what his actual genes were.

I never saw that movie. Sounds interesting, I'll see if muh better half wants to watch it, it's Hallmark season, though, we always watch those movies this time of year.

Anyway. If I were the guy selling the gene material kits I'd have my buyers get on the payment plan. That way I can just turn it on and off with a switch. Their use of my design would be a royalty kind of deal, too.

I never saw that movie. Sounds interesting, I'll see if muh better half wants to watch it, it's Hallmark season, though, we always watch those movies this time of year.

Anyway. If I were the guy selling the gene material kits I'd have my buyers get on the payment plan. That way I can just turn it on and off with a switch. Their use of my design would be a royalty kind of deal, too.

Based on what you just said about your business plan, in addition to watching Gattaca, you should also watch Repo Men with Forrest Whittaker.

It's about people getting new organs, and when they can't make their payments, they send in a couple of guys to get the organs back.

And no..................they don't come to your house with temporary replacements either.

Forum List

Back