Schools: Should All Schools Require Uniforms?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Do you think all schools should require students to wear uniforms?
Would it keep the kids more focused on learning?

Why or why not?

>

School-Uniforms.png

Uniforms%20-%20Dieruff%20students%202.png

Just to point out.

Some people think the upper image is what a school uniform is, and it well may be for some private schools. However in the public schools a school "uniform" is more of a limited dress code.

My son applied for and was accepted into a public school program for technology students. They were required to wear "uniforms". The "uniforms" code was something like this:
  • Khaki or Navy Blue pants (no jeans, shorts, cargo pants, etc.) or equivalent skirt for females and could not be "mini" or "micro" in nature.
  • Plain, solid color Polo style shirt (i.e. collared, with buttons, no emblems or printing) and could be in gray, blue, and there was one other color option but I can't remember what it was.
  • Shoes must be plain soft- or hard-soled black or blue casual shoes and could be loafer or laced. Sneakers were not allowed except during Gym class.
  • Plain belt was required.
  • Shirts must always be tucked into the pants.

The cost of the "uniforms" from off the shelf stores (no special orders needed) was much cheaper than "regular" cloths.

>>>>

Why or why not?

Absolutely. Coat and tie for boys, skirts and tie for girls. Would end all the social status nonsense. Rich and poor, intelligent and stupid would be virtually indistinguishable.

Elementary school students would go for it. They'd think they're at Hogwarts.

>

School-Uniforms.png

Just to point out.

Some people think the upper image is what a school uniform is, and it well may be for some private schools. However in the public schools a school "uniform" is more of a limited dress code.

My son applied for and was accepted into a public school program for technology students. They were required to wear "uniforms". The "uniforms" code was something like this:
  • Khaki or Navy Blue pants (no jeans, shorts, cargo pants, etc.) or equivalent skirt for females and could not be "mini" or "micro" in nature.
  • Plain, solid color Polo style shirt (i.e. collared, with buttons, no emblems or printing) and could be in gray, blue, and there was one other color option but I can't remember what it was.
  • Shoes must be plain soft- or hard-soled black or blue casual shoes and could be loafer or laced. Sneakers were not allowed except during Gym class.

The cost of the "uniforms" from off the shelf stores (no special orders needed) was much cheaper than "regular" cloths.

>>>>

That looks more like a dress code than a uniform.

>

School-Uniforms.png

Just to point out.

>>>>

That looks more like a dress code than a uniform.

That's what I said, what most people are referring to (in the real world) about "uniforms" for public school students are really a restrictive dress code.

My son attended a school with uniform requirements, but it was the second type - not the "coat & tie" that some imagine.

>>>>

Why or why not?

Absolutely. Coat and tie for boys, skirts and tie for girls. Would end all the social status nonsense. Rich and poor, intelligent and stupid would be virtually indistinguishable.

Elementary school students would go for it. They'd think they're at Hogwarts.
No skirts manditory tho...went thru that in the 60s...no more.

Neck ties are idiotic. The uniform could just as easily be turtlenecks. Conservative conformists want everyone to be a conservative conformist.

Schools can't find interesting and informative books for kids to read but worry about clothes. On those rare occasions when the studies were interesting I wasn't thinking about clothes. When I was bored I played with my tie.

They can't think of something as simple as mandatory accounting in the schools but this is all about JOBS. Schools are designed to produce brainwashed robot workers. Robots should wear uniforms.

psik

PS - I know! Do it like Star Trek. The color of the shirt should be based on grade point average. ROFL

I have two thoughts:

(1) Everyone dressing the same places less emphasis on social stature and looks. Of course, there are going to be people that have better hair, makeup etc., but, it will make everyone on more of an equal playing fields and less focused on who looks "hot" and what others are wearing, social statements on clothes etc. But they will be more focused on their work and studies.

(2) Preparing kids for the 'real world'. In the "real world" people do differentiate by dress, so, may as well get used to it. There are the haves and have nots and we need to get used to the idea instead of trying to "equalize" everyone all the time.

I think the coat and tie thing is ridiculous.

I have no problem with a limited dress code as described in another post but I would opt out of the polo shirt in favor of a button down oxford style.

It's just my preference as I fucking hate polo shirts

(2) Preparing kids for the 'real world'. In the "real world" people do differentiate by dress, so, may as well get used to it.

In the "real world" a lot of people who dress well are in debt up to their eyebrows and some people with real money are very casual. It is that, "You can't judge a book by it's cover because some people are all cover."

That is why reading the right books is more important than uniforms unless we really don't want students to think.

psik

Why or why not?

Why not? It works very well everywhere else in the world. Even the poorest of countries.

I've always been in favor of a dress code. It makes it easier to get kids ready for school, takes a lot of stress out of the equation when the kids get to be 11 or so (esp girls). Our public school had a dress code as in: not allowed to wear xyz. Of course, half the time it got ignored. I watched as high school girls walked to bus in short so short I could see their butt cheeks, not kidding. Schools allow way too much shit to go unchecked if you ask me. Good thing I was never a teacher, the kids would have hated me for the rules I'd enact in my class and hold them accountable to. Of course, the teacher's union would probable have slapped me for such things. lol

Good thing I was never a teacher, the kids would have hated me for the rules I'd enact in my class and hold them accountable to.

I was once asked to be a substitute. I asked the person why, did they want to see me on the front page for tossing a wise-ass high schooler through a window?

My daughter goes to an Agricultural HIgh School...they have to wear jeans, steel toes and basic cotton shirts to school. Dealing with farm animals and equipment all day.

It is SO much easier than having my teen try to keep up with the latest fashions every day to try and fit in and/or be cool.

Why or why not?

Why not? It works very well everywhere else in the world. Even the poorest of countries.
I visited Belize in February this year, and noticed all the school children wearing uniforms. All the schools there are private (mostly Christian) but have some kind of partnership or another with the government, and the country supposedly has the best-behaved children in Central America.

Why or why not?

I visited Belize in February this year, and noticed all the school children wearing uniforms. All the schools there are private (mostly Christian) but have some kind of partnership or another with the government, and the country supposedly has the best-behaved children in Central America.

Belize is on the list for a possible retirement location, particularly if the Democrats prevail in 2016 and the US goes completely bonkers.

Why or why not?

Belize is on the list for a possible retirement location, particularly if the Democrats prevail in 2016 and the US goes completely bonkers.
It's not a wealthy country, but Americans and Canadians retire there because it's cheap.

Schools are designed to produce brainwashed robot workers.

Unfortunately they have failed, producing instead brainwashed robot beggars.

The thing about that is it only takes a very small percentage, less than 1, of people to invent new technology. And a small percentage to start producing it, less than 5. Then that technology affects everyone and the schools have placed more emphasis on English literature than science and technology.

I learned more about science, either directly or indirectly, from science fiction than I did from teachers up to 10th grade. But sci-fi has gone down the tubes since Star Wars.

psik

Forum List

Back