Schools: Should All Schools Require Uniforms?

Do you think all schools should require students to wear uniforms?
Would it keep the kids more focused on learning?

Why or why not?

Depends on the uniform. :) Make em like the ones in the Harry Potter movies and I'm sure kids'll get behind it.

If they're required, and free to the kids, they'd be easier to adopt. If the kids have one more thing they gotta pay for, it'll be resisted more.

Should they? Isn't really a should or shouldn't issue. Would I support them? Yes. I think minimizing distractions is good for educational settings. I'm not aware offhand of any studies linking uniforms with performance but I could easily imagine there are some.

I see numerous problems socially in the US with excessive individuality. Uniforms are good for building unit cohesion. Improves moral, espirit de corps, minimizes "what will I wear tomorrow?" so everybody likes me? :)

As long as it isn't an additional expense when kids got pleanty for somewhere they're required to be in the first place, I'm all for it.

The best jobs I've ever had mandated wearing a uniform whether it was Military or Civilian. Turns the focus from being a Fashion Plate to doing actual Production.

I Imagine it would be the same in schools.

The best jobs I've ever had mandated wearing a uniform whether it was Military or Civilian. Turns the focus from being a Fashion Plate to doing actual Production.

I Imagine it would be the same in schools.

Not everybody gives a damn about being a fashion plate even when it is an option. I volunteered for 2nd shift at IBM when they announced suits were not required. They thought it would be safer at night. Even though it paid 10% more I wouldn't take it if the suit was required.

psik

Financing: Fittings

Dress codes are obviously related to school uniforms in terms of classroom atmosphere, but when a school has an official policy to distribute uniforms that students are obligated to wear regularly, new issues arise such as level of interest/investment in academic stationary/furnishings.

How do schools in economically-challenged Third World countries find ways to find the money/resources to provide affordable school uniforms for their students? This is an important question, because school uniforms create an environment of classroom magnification.

:afro:

School Uniforms in Kenya

su.jpg

Forum List

Back