School Board Member Outraged over Patriotic T Shirts

Her diatribe is classic leftist propaganda. This is another example of why education needs to be removed from federal government and union control.
Todd Starnes: T-shirts saying 'stand for the flag, kneel for the cross' draw protest at school

I would stand for the flag and kneel for the Cross any day of the week, but this not a difficult call. The school board member flipped a lid of course, but she is correct.

If the girls got together as students on the cheer team and sold the shirts as students, they probably would have been okay. The problem was they used the school mascot on the shirt, thus making it seem like the school district endorses the message. Christians might say they like that idea, but then think of a mostly Muslim district in Dearborn MI or Minneapolis, MN making shirts with the public school mascot saying they honor Mohammad or some-such. Nope. And I don't really care if the district is mostly Muslim--the district is not supposed to take a stand.

FWIW I don't think it's the racial stuff about the flag that they have to get into. Saying they "kneel for the Cross" with the school mascot was enough to have the shirts canceled. The rest is I di
Her diatribe is classic leftist propaganda. This is another example of why education needs to be removed from federal government and union control.
Todd Starnes: T-shirts saying 'stand for the flag, kneel for the cross' draw protest at school

I would stand for the flag and kneel for the Cross any day of the week, but this not a difficult call. The school board member flipped a lid of course, but she is correct.

If the girls got together as students on the cheer team and sold the shirts as students, they probably would have been okay. The problem was they used the school mascot on the shirt, thus making it seem like the school district endorses the message. Christians might say they like that idea, but then think of a mostly Muslim district in Dearborn MI or Minneapolis, MN making shirts with the public school mascot saying they honor Mohammad or some-such. Nope. And I don't really care if the district is mostly Muslim--the district is not supposed to take a stand.

FWIW I don't think it's the racial stuff about the flag that they have to get into. Saying they "kneel for the Cross" with the school mascot was enough to have the shirts canceled. The rest is extraneous, so it's an easy call.
But it wasn't a muslim district, and even if it was, so what? Muslims aren't going to respect the flag either. Live and let live. Muslims aren't going to do anything similar because it's against their religion.

There isn't anything wrong with asking public school students to respect the flag. It's asking them to kneel for the Cross, or implying that "we all do as a district", that is wrong. And I say this as a conservative Christian public school teacher.

Often districts, teachers, and admin get this wrong. Usually, for instance, when a teacher gives an open-ended assignment, and a child chooses to write about God, the teacher tells him 'You can't write about God in school". Absolutely wrong, and that happens a LOT. I always defend the students' rights to express their religion in school. Their right does not end at the school house door--and by the way, my right to believe in my faith does not end either.

But what I cannot do, as an employee of the gov't, is impose my faith on my students. Not even my atheist/agnostic/Buddhist/Sikh/Muslim faith....or my Christian faith either. That means the shirts with the Cross on them and the mascot are a no-go. Goose and gander. You know the rest.

FWIW I don't think it's the racial stuff about the flag that they have to get into. Saying they "kneel for the Cross" with the school mascot was enough to have the shirts canceled. The rest is extraneous, so it's an easy call.
I read that article a few times just to make sure, and I can't find anywhere it says that the school mascot was on the shirt. Where did you get that?

I read that article a few times just to make sure, and I can't find anywhere it says that the school mascot was on the shirt. Where did you get that?

I clicked through to the Starnes article, then to the Dodge City news article, where it states at the beginning the shirt had the school mascot on it.

T-shirt fundraiser causes controversy - The Dodge County News

I clicked through to the Starnes article, then to the Dodge City news article, where it states at the beginning the shirt had the school mascot on it.

T-shirt fundraiser causes controversy - The Dodge County News
Okay, but the school board member didn't say a thing about that, did she. The school mascot isn't on there now. Therefore, that isn't a point.

The school board member was correct in saying that the shirt is politically divisive. In fact, it comments on two divisive ideas on the shirt. Moreover, the inclusion of the wording "In Dodge County, we" implies that all residents of the county agree with the messages on the shirt: all residents disagree with the kneeling protest and all are Christians.

The shirt probably would have passed muster if school officials had not been involved, and the shirt just said "I stand for the Flag and kneel for the Cross."

The school board member was correct in saying that the shirt is politically divisive. In fact, it comments on two divisive ideas on the shirt. Moreover, the inclusion of the wording "In Dodge County, we" implies that all residents of the county agree with the messages on the shirt: all residents disagree with the kneeling protest and all are Christians.

The shirt probably would have passed muster if school officials had not been involved, and the shirt just said "I stand for the Flag and kneel for the Cross."
Many things are politically divisive, yet they are allowed. Just because you disagree with me, doesn't give you the right to censor me. Live and let live. Let's teach creationism along with evolution and let the kids make up their own mind.

Many things are politically divisive, yet they are allowed. Just because you disagree with me, doesn't give you the right to censor me. Live and let live. Let's teach creationism along with evolution and let the kids make up their own mind.

Creationism is not a valid scientific theory, though. It is a belief of some religions and constructed by people who literally believe in Genesis and who are trying to beat a square peg into a round hole. The person or people who wrote Genesis could not possibly have been around for the creation of the earth.

My problem with the shirt remains.

Creationism is not a valid scientific theory, though. It is a belief of some religions and constructed by people who literally believe in Genesis and who are trying to beat a square peg into a round hole. The person or people who wrote Genesis could not possibly have been around for the creation of the earth.

Who says creationism isn't a valid scientific theory? Many scientists are Christians. Albert Einstein believed in Intelligent Design. I can provide quotes where Einstein said that he believed there was an Intelligent Spirit to the universe that dwarfed man's intelligence. That's hogwash that creationism isn't a valid scientific theory. Check this out.
Einstein and Intelligent Design

Everything Todd Starnes says is a lie.

I see your problem, you need it explained with pictures.

T-shirts cause controversy in Dodge County
I saw it....and everything Todd Starnes says is a lie.

BTW...where are all those con-servatives who were outraged over the altering of the American flag when Former President Obama was in office?
Just saying something ignorant like "everything Todd Starnes says is a lie" doesn't mean a thing unless you can prove it. You probably meant to say that "I disagree with everything Todd Starnes says". That would be more like it.

Which version of creationism is to be taught in school....each religion has it's own version...there are hundreds of variations.

Which version of creationism is to be taught in school....each religion has it's own version...there are hundreds of variations.
It's not the difficult. Just teach that there is a Creator like our founding fathers believed.

Who says creationism isn't a valid scientific theory? Many scientists are Christians. Albert Einstein believed in Intelligent Design. I can provide quotes where Einstein said that he believed there was an Intelligent Spirit to the universe that dwarfed man's intelligence. That's hogwash that creationism isn't a valid scientific theory. Check this out.
Which creationism? Each religion has its own version....surely you are not saying that if you are going to pick a religious version of the Beginning, that only christianity counts? See the problem?

BTW...where are all those con-servatives who were outraged over the altering of the American flag when Former President Obama was in office?
Just saying something ignorant like "everything Todd Starnes says is a lie" doesn't mean a thing unless you can prove it. You probably meant to say that "I disagree with everything Todd Starnes says". That would be more like it.
Why Is Fox News Not Concerned About Todd Starnes? - The Atlantic

Todd Starnes Sold Us a War on Christianity. We Bought It.

Fox's Todd Starnes Will Lie Until The Very End About San Antonio's Proposed Non-Discrimination Law

I myself fact checked one of his lies on Hannity many years ago....when he was complaining that a CA 7th grade Soc St textbook only taught about Islam...he held the book up...it was the same textbook my daughter was using in her school at that time. I looked thru it. One unit (3 chapters on the Islamic empires....5 Units with at least 11 chapters on Christianity and christian empires such as Roman Catholic Europe, the Byzantines, etc.

As I said...Todd Starnes is nothing but a liar.

Which creationism? Each religion has its own version....surely you are not saying that if you are going to pick a religious version of the Beginning, that only christianity counts? See the problem?
No, I don't see any problem. Creator is all that needs to be mentioned. If someone doesn't like it, then take your kid to a private school. We should teach both sides. Creationism is also as scientific as evolution. They're both "Theories".

Fox's Todd Starnes Will Lie Until The Very End About San Antonio's Proposed Non-Discrimination Law

I myself fact checked one of his lies on Hannity many years ago....when he was complaining that a CA 7th grade Soc St textbook only taught about Islam...he held the book up...it was the same textbook my daughter was using in her school at that time. I looked thru it. One unit (3 chapters on the Islamic empires....5 Units with at least 11 chapters on Christianity and christian empires such as Roman Catholic Europe, the Byzantines, etc.

Oh, so you have one issue. That's hardly "everything".

Oh, so you have one issue. That's hardly "everything".

You weren't paying attention...that was the one I PERSONALLY experienced....the links show many others. Todd Starnes is a lying liar. Period....he shows that some christians will lie thru their teeth at the drop of a hat.

Any private citizen can wear any shirt that makes any claim like that, actually. If my church wanted to prints shirts with the message, "In America, we stand for the flag and kneel for the Cross" we sure could. So could my family, my business or my neighborhood.

The only way you can't do that is on gov't dime and with gov't resources and in your capacity as a gov't official. So again, that's a grey area--leaning toward probably not on the up-and-up in this case. But absolutely, not EVERY citizen in Dodge Co has to agree with the statement for any citizen to wear a shirt with that statement on it. (shrug)

...and everything Todd Starnes says is a lie.

FinalIronyMeter_zps9935014f.gif

Forum List

Back