More than half of graduates don’t use their degree in their current work

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
But there is another, more insidious reason why applications are falling, which is that our colleges have become seminaries of politically correct nonsense – Left-wing madrassas whose purpose is not to disseminate knowledge and promote understanding but to suppress politically incorrect facts and stifle debate.

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News

But there is another, more insidious reason why applications are falling, which is that our colleges have become seminaries of politically correct nonsense – Left-wing madrassas whose purpose is not to disseminate knowledge and promote understanding but to suppress politically incorrect facts and stifle debate.

This looks like it comes out of Europe. Meanwhile here in the US we are facing a dual shortage in both the teaching and the medical profession. In the latter, namely doctors, specifically in general practice. Those are needed and important professions I would say.

More conservative propaganda designed to denigrate higher education

Truth is .....the most popular major is business
Next is teaching and healthcare fields

I wouldn't be able to do my job without my degree. My master helps me more to do my job, sort of.

Inform yourself a little. Those shortages are real.

It has always been the case that most people end up in careers unrelated to their major. I have heard that all my life.

When is the last time you were on a college campus and taking courses? Or are you a close friend of a current college student with whom you discuss their curriculum? Because that is the only way you would be able to form the opinion you just spewed. You are being brainwashed, pal. Step back and get a breath of fresh air. My guess is you don't know shit from shinola about what is being taught anywhere.

All you lovers of the military do realize that the difference between officers and enlisted personnel is a college degree.

It has always been the case that most people end up in careers unrelated to their major. I have heard that all my life.

When is the last time you were on a college campus and taking courses? Or are you a close friend of a current college student with whom you discuss their curriculum? Because that is the only way you would be able to form the opinion you just spewed. You are being brainwashed, pal. Step back and get a breath of fresh air. My guess is you don't know shit from shinola about what is being taught anywhere.
All they know about college is from rightwing propaganda that they are dens of liberal mind control.

Most college students are very serious in their studies. They major in business, education, healthcare, Engineering and Science
Most do not have the time or interest in politics

Speaking to ideological dominance and the manufacture of radial Leftist ideologues on American campuses, that's exactly what has been going on for six plus decades and counting. That being said, career specific usefulness of degree seems to be--particularly in relation to social sciences and the humanities--less prevalent but we must take that opinion with the caveat of personal life choices in the face of professional opportunities-- a variable highly skewing the result.

Myself, I have a master's in Civil Engineering taken 21 years ago, and while I've used associated knowledge in varying practical applications, I've never held a Civil Engineer's title professionally, nor a position as a military historian with that minor. I am currently working toward a psychology degree, still undergraduate (for forever) unfortunately, with a focus on political philosophy. While my fiancé is cheering me in the direction of clinical work and a practice, for now the theory of it all is what fascinates.

At the mid-40's milestone this year, I've worked my entire life for the federal government in one form or another, save for forays into civilian careers that were situational and temporary between non-military active duty federal work and private military contractor stints. What will I do eons from now after I've followed my current studies far as I can take them? Coming from a mindset which refuses to ever retire from military service--at least until I am on par physically with Mick Jagger--I cannot image not working for the government in some manner.

One close friend, a few years younger and a Marine now for 23 years, took a general history master's but works in law enforcement. Another, also retired after more than two decades of military service, studied and received a degree in IT--which he actually, currently uses. A cousin of mine, master's in music education, works for the IRS as a forensic accountant but still loves to teach the piano. Go figure. Yet another acquaintance has worked 41 years as a chemical engineer for the federal government, but his wife--master's in accounting--recently retired from a special education teacher position. Madness, isn't it?

Higher education is denigrating itself. It doesn’t need help from conservatives

As a truck driver I don't use either my bachelor's or master's degrees. Bachelors in Business and master's in Education with teaching license. Couldn't find a job in either profession so got a CDL and became a truck driver instead.

What you major in and how hard the college is to get into makes a big difference. I would been better off skipping college and going into a trade like plumbing instead.

New Topics

Forum List

Back