Sandy victim mired in red tape despite Obama promise

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I would blame Obama for this, but he was just being a politician. I do, however, enjoy mocking the idiots who thought it would be different.

After Hurricane Sandy hit along the New Jersey Shore and throughout New York City, President Obama traveled to the affected area and delivered a message to both victims and the federal government, advising the fed to use “no bureaucracy, no red tape … get resources where they’re needed as fast as possible.” To the victims, he promised assistance. “We are standing behind you and we are going to do everything we can to help you get back on your feet.”

It was that same day that an emotional embrace between the president and a New Jersey businesswoman, Donna Vanzant, was caught on camera and shared around the world. It’s a photo of which Vanzant now says, “It’s frustrating for me that that picture is even out there right now.”

After losing her entire marina business, of which she estimates a $500,000 loss, she told Fox and Friends’ Brian Kilmeade that her hope has been dashed in the month that followed the photo.

“I was very excited and felt warmed by the embrace, thinking, ‘This is really gonna happen, I’m going to get the help I need, because you promised that,’ and it’s been almost a month now and I’ve gotten no help,” she said.

Sandy Victim Says President Didn’t Follow Through on Promise to Help | Fox News Insider

She didn't have flood insurance, and lives on a marina... What, does she want the government to just "give" her 500K? What is wrong with these people? Why doesn't she just take the loan for what she can afford and start over smaller at first???

She didn't have flood insurance, and lives on a marina... What, does she want the government to just "give" her 500K? What is wrong with these people? Why doesn't she just take the loan for what she can afford and start over smaller at first???

because then the reporters would stop coming around to listen to her whine

Obama gonna get federal gov't. to help pay for Sandy...
:cool:
Sandy: Barack Obama 'to seek $50bn aid from Congress'
5 December 2012 - Many residents and businesses are still grappling with the devastation wrought by the storm
US President Barack Obama is expected to ask Congress for about $50bn (£31bn) in extra emergency aid for states hit by Storm Sandy, Democrats have said. The administration is still compiling its request but may ask for between $45bn and $55bn, US media reported. The spending request would be smaller than the $83bn in disaster aid that the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut are seeking. Sandy caused deadly storm surges along the East Coast when it hit in October.

A massive storm system, Sandy hit states from North Carolina to Maine, and has been blamed for more than 120 deaths. Thousands of people remain unable to return to thier flood-damaged homes. More than 120 people are known to have died as a result of the storm, mainly through flooding, and many remain displaced. The request for additional funds comes as the White House is locked in a tense battle with Congress over a looming "fiscal cliff". Officials suggested the relief funding proposal could come before Congress this week.

'Fight for itself'

However, correspondents say lawmakers are unlikely to vote through large new spending requests in the current climate. The president can request only $5.4bn more in funding before he comes up against a spending ceiling. Some Republicans have said that any requests beyond that amount should be matched with spending cuts elsewhere. "The president isn't going to leave New York, New Jersey or the entire region to fight for itself," Housing Secretary Shaun Donovan said after a meeting with the Senate Appropriations sub-committee.

Mr Donovan, who is co-ordinating the government's recovery effort, added that Congress should take action in "the next few weeks" on the administration's request. On Tuesday, Craig Fugate, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said there was $4.8bn remaining in the disaster relief fund - enough to keep funding efforts into early next year. The government has so far spent about $2bn in 11 states since the storm struck in late October.

Source

I would blame Obama for this, but he was just being a politician. I do, however, enjoy mocking the idiots who thought it would be different.

After Hurricane Sandy hit along the New Jersey Shore and throughout New York City, President Obama traveled to the affected area and delivered a message to both victims and the federal government, advising the fed to use “no bureaucracy, no red tape … get resources where they’re needed as fast as possible.” To the victims, he promised assistance. “We are standing behind you and we are going to do everything we can to help you get back on your feet.”

It was that same day that an emotional embrace between the president and a New Jersey businesswoman, Donna Vanzant, was caught on camera and shared around the world. It’s a photo of which Vanzant now says, “It’s frustrating for me that that picture is even out there right now.”

After losing her entire marina business, of which she estimates a $500,000 loss, she told Fox and Friends’ Brian Kilmeade that her hope has been dashed in the month that followed the photo.

“I was very excited and felt warmed by the embrace, thinking, ‘This is really gonna happen, I’m going to get the help I need, because you promised that,’ and it’s been almost a month now and I’ve gotten no help,” she said.

Sandy Victim Says President Didn’t Follow Through on Promise to Help | Fox News Insider
I call bullshit on the whole story.

And QW you should check out the Fema page, and then maybe decide if you believe this women.

Hurricane Sandy Survivors Should Return SBA Disaster Loan Applications to Keep Options Open | FEMA.gov

And to me the government is doing all they can if they offered her a loan. She didn't have insurance, and if she truly was offered a loan at 6% she probably doesn't have the best credit. Didn't we learn that something from the housing bubble?

What more would you want the government to do? So no Obama didn't lie, they are doing what they CAN do, they are not doing what they shouldn't.

And QW you should check out the Fema page, and then maybe decide if you believe this women.

Hurricane Sandy Survivors Should Return SBA Disaster Loan Applications to Keep Options Open | FEMA.gov

And to me the government is doing all they can if they offered her a loan. She didn't have insurance, and if she truly was offered a loan at 6% she probably doesn't have the best credit. Didn't we learn that something from the housing bubble?

What more would you want the government to do? So no Obama didn't lie, they are doing what they CAN do, they are not doing what they shouldn't.

What, exactly, did I get wrong? Keep in mind that all I am claiming here is that the federal government is still as slow to respond, and still as mired in paper, as it was when Bush was in charge.

Unless you have flood insurance, you aren't covered for flooding. Not sure why this is a huge surprise to anyone after Katrina.

This isn't red tape, it is just reality.

What, exactly, did I get wrong? Keep in mind that all I am claiming here is that the federal government is still as slow to respond, and still as mired in paper, as it was when Bush was in charge.

I think they already responded, they offered her a loan.

Would you like to point out how this is different than what would have happened under Bush? Or even faster? Until you do, I am still right.

a loan at 6% isn't help, i guess. :dunno:

i feel very bad for this whiny twat, and i believe it's all obama's fault.

MYTH: I believe FEMA only makes loans so I didn’t apply for help because I don’t want a loan.

FACT: FEMA only provides grants. The grants may cover expenses for temporary housing, home repairs, replacement of damaged personal property and other disaster-related needs such as medical, dental or transportation costs not covered by insurance or other programs. They don’t have to be repaid.

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans to renters, homeowners and businesses of all sizes. Some applicants may receive an SBA loan application after registering with FEMA. No one is obligated to take out a loan, but if they don’t complete the application they may not be considered for other federal grant programs.

Myth vs. Fact About Registering For FEMA Aid | FEMA.gov

FEMA helps people, it doesn't bail out businesses. And the disaster loan rates are set by Congress.

I feel sorry for this woman but it was pretty stupid of her not to have flood insurance.

Anyone that operates a business on a body of water should have flood insurance.

Would you like to point out how this is different than what would have happened under Bush? Or even faster? Until you do, I am still right.

Did I even mention Bush?
So I have no clue what you think you are right about.

You started a thread thinking you had a point, and you didn't. Not my fault.

Did I even mention Bush?

Sigh.

This thread is to show that there is no effective difference in how FEMA responds to a disaster now than there was when Bush was president and he supposedly fucked up the response to Katrina. You called bullshit on that premise, and now you have no idea what I am talking about?

How does that work?

Sandy victims have been "benghazied"

Did I even mention Bush?

Sigh.

This thread is to show that there is no effective difference in how FEMA responds to a disaster now than there was when Bush was president and he supposedly fucked up the response to Katrina. You called bullshit on that premise, and now you have no idea what I am talking about?

How does that work?

First off you nor your article mentioned Bush. I called bullshit on the story. And I already stated Obama and FEMA did what they can do, exactly what Obama stated.
Not my fault you are confused. Of course you tend to change your argument as you go along.
Plus Sandy was handled better than Katrina, for one the governor was quick to accept help and FEMA was in there right away, unlike with Katrina.
This lady is trying to score political points and you are helping her. She didn't have flood insurance and she is was offered a loan already. What more do you think they can do?

Sandy victims have been "benghazied"

The FEMA director under Bush would disagree with you. He criticized Obama for reacting faster to Sandy, than he did to Benghazi.

a loan at 6% isn't help, i guess. :dunno:

i feel very bad for this whiny twat, and i believe it's all obama's fault.

MYTH: I believe FEMA only makes loans so I didn’t apply for help because I don’t want a loan.

FACT: FEMA only provides grants. The grants may cover expenses for temporary housing, home repairs, replacement of damaged personal property and other disaster-related needs such as medical, dental or transportation costs not covered by insurance or other programs. They don’t have to be repaid.

The U.S. Small Business Administration provides low-interest disaster loans to renters, homeowners and businesses of all sizes. Some applicants may receive an SBA loan application after registering with FEMA. No one is obligated to take out a loan, but if they don’t complete the application they may not be considered for other federal grant programs.

Myth vs. Fact About Registering For FEMA Aid | FEMA.gov

FEMA helps people, it doesn't bail out businesses. And the disaster loan rates are set by Congress.

I feel sorry for this woman but it was pretty stupid of her not to have flood insurance.

Anyone that operates a business on a body of water should have flood insurance.

Oh... It's her fault. I'm positive you said the same thing when Bush was getting hammered for the fallout from Katrina... Of course you did. :lol:

Forum List

Back